3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Eating past a certain time... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/161873-eating-past-certain-time.html)

nicki rose98 01-17-2009 11:48 PM

Eating past a certain time...

Is it really bad (or maybe just a better idea) to stop eating prior to a certain time? 8pm? 7pm? 6pm and earlier? I'm asking because I am a waitress and usually cannot eat dinner until after 8pm and at times not until I get home which is close to 10pm or later. I don't eat a lot at that time but I will eat something so that I won't be up all night hungry. Any advice?

walking2lose 01-17-2009 11:58 PM

I am one who thinks it does not matter, as long as you are staying on your plan to lose weight - whether it's WW, calorie counting, South Beach, or whatever. Everyone does not have the same schedule. I lost 3 lbs. last week, and I almost never even eat dinner until 7 or 8 o'clock.

Beautiful Ace 01-18-2009 12:26 AM

I personally think if you're hungry, eat. I usually eat something very low in calories, and only enough to make the hunger stop for me to fall asleep.

Also, if you're eating at ten and going to sleep at like, 1 or 2... it's the same as eating at 7 and going to bed at 10 or 11!;)

sunflowergirl68 01-18-2009 12:33 AM

When you eat at night, after dinner, eat a low cal snack. Have a cup of yogurt. A piece of fruit. A bowl of cereal. I love those 100-calorie packs personally or have a Kashi granola bar.

Lindsy Goes RAWR 01-18-2009 12:47 AM

Iv read that it doesn't matter what time you eat, Whats so special about the number 7, 6, 10? there isn't, just make sure you eat a hour and a half before you hit the sheets. Once you go to bed, your metabolism goes down to nothing basically.

Suzanne 3FC 01-18-2009 01:05 AM

I agree, it doesn't matter what time you eat because your body will metabolize it the same way.

The problem seems to be something else, though. When we eat at night, we probably aren't reaching for the carrot sticks but reach for higher calorie snack foods. Since you've probably used up your calories by 7pm or so, anything extra would be excess calories.

But if you are eating dinner and it's within your calorie range, or if you saved calories for a snack then you should be fine :)

Glory87 01-18-2009 11:46 AM

When I was actively losing weight, I had a very busy job and often didn't get home until 8. By the time I made dinner it was almost 9! Didn't stop me from losing weight. If you are "snacky" after dinner and have a hard time staying within your plan for the day because of after dinner eating, it might be a good idea to declare the kitchen "off limits" after a certain point just to help you manage that habit. Brushing and flossing also works well for me. Who wants to have to brush/floss AGAIN?

I have never been a big after dinner eater - my "snack" point is in the afternoons so I have developed my own tips and tricks to deal with my habits!

JulieJ08 01-18-2009 12:21 PM

I don't have any RULES about it. But I go to bed early, and I don't want a full stomach then, so it kind of takes care of itself. Still, I usually have dinner about 6:30 or 7, not infrequently a bit later, just because of when I get home and can get dinner made. Then I have a piece of fruit or chocolate after. So I often have a little something after 8. But it's something light.

Umberto 01-18-2009 12:30 PM

there was a study recently that showed it didnt matter at all. The only thing i can think of is that if its late, you are unlikely to be moving around much and wont burn it off. Also, some people can eat well all day and then go mad at night, so it helps to set a time limit to prevent night snacking. But it really doesnt matter what time you eat something at.

michelle7 01-18-2009 08:45 PM

I eat very late some night (9:30pm and later) and as long as I staying in my calorie-range, it has never influenced my weight in a negative way. The only thing I have to be mindful about is my sodium intake late-night. I have to make sure to drink lots of water to flush it out by morning (and risk getting up all night to pee LOL).

TJFitnessDiva 01-18-2009 08:55 PM

I agree! I don't think it really matters on when you eat :) Your body will burn it off whether you are up or sleeping so as long as you stay within your calorie range it should be just fine!

grneyedmustang 01-19-2009 12:04 PM

I'm a night person, and very busy in the evenings, so I eat dinner very late. Some nights I don't eat dinner until 9 - 9:30pm.

So far, it hasn't impacted my weight loss. ;) I don't know if the fact that I don't usually go to bed until midnight has anything to do with it, though.