Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/240/199

Height: 5' 8"

Question LAWL and Exercise

Hello,

Does anyone know what the LAWL conventional wisdom is concerning exercise? Specifically...when should exercise start? At the beginning of the program or when you hit your first stall?

Thanks
WithFaith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Conventional wisdom is that you will lose weight whether you choose to exercise or not.. However, if you choose to do more than casual walking, you will need to make some adjustments in your protein intake and when you intake it..

Ingesting lean proteins immediately after a vigorous workout will prolong the calorie burn and will help your body recover faster.. And by lean, I don't mean a protein bar.. chicken, turkey, etc....

While I don't know for sure on the amount you'll need to increase by, for me it was about half the normal amount.. You'll also want to save one of your fruit servings to go with that.

Besides helping with the calorie burn, you'll need the extra intake to keep your body from going into starvation mode, which will happen if it doesn't get enough fuel.. When it goes into starvation mode, it starts retaining anything and everything you put in it, which will stall out your weight loss progress..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
Conventional wisdom is that you will lose weight whether you choose to exercise or not.. However, if you choose to do more than casual walking, you will need to make some adjustments in your protein intake and when you intake it...
Thanks for the quick response! I see that I need to be extra careful about what and how I eat when exercising. I had thought about alternating Hip Hop Abs & 30 Day Shred, LOL! I guess you can tell that the upcoming New Year has gotten me "gung ho" about getting in shape. I think that I will wait until after I'm done with the LA Express portion of the plan (4 weeks) and then start SLOWLY incorporating exercise into my schedule.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

Oh.. That reminds me of a really good point.. I was always told that during the times when we do the "Take Off" or "Fast Forward" phases, to lay off the high aerobic exercise, because during those times, we're so limited to what we can eat and how much, that our bodies won't have enough energy to promote good calorie and fat burning.

While it may be a good idea to hold off on the Hip Hop Abs stuff until after LA Express is done, I don't see any reason why you can't start exercising now with some quick-paced walking and the like.. In fact, start now and in four weeks, your body may be better able to cope with the high-impact stuff you have planned..

Just be sure to let your COD counselors know what you have planned...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #5  

Dan,

Unfortunately, I'm doing this on my own as there are NO centers in my area (Northern Virginia). I wanted to try this program because several years ago my sister-in-law was successful with it. I went to a weigh in with her, but ended up not joining because I was turned off by the hard sell they were doing (implying that there was something in the bars that accelerated weight loss however they could not tell me which ingredient(s), !). They were worse than the people who try to sell you timeshares, !

I did not want to do WW yet again, so I ordered the LAWL plan information off of eBay (I hope it comes soon ).

Back to exercise! Your walking advice makes sense . Honestly, 2008 has been my least active year ever (I've been struggling with rheumatoid arthritis), so building up to more strenuous workouts makes sense. I have a few Leslie Sansone Walk Away the pounds tapes that should work fine.

Thanks again...Have a safe and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #6  

BTW Dan...I see you live in New Mexico...I have a son & 3 grandkids that live in Las Cruces, NM...I bet the weather is a lot nicer (read "warmer" ) where you are!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Small world! Yep.. Probably a bit warmer here, although it's been really cold (for us anyway) for the last week, with daytime highs hardly out of the 40's.. Down in Las Cruces, it's been much warmer.. In fact, I don't think I could ever live there.. Just too darn hot year round for my tastes.. I live up in Albuquerque and work in Santa Fe.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #8  

Hello, new to the forum here, but used to the LAWL program and had great success (47 pounds down - not maintained at this point though. excuses = marriage, moving, and major construction vs. my love for ice cream). I am currently getting back into it and am on my three-day express.

I used exercise in the program to my advantage. I began slowly and worked my way up so my body was constantly readjusting itself to a new routine as I was adjusting to new foods. I had already had a once a week pilates session in the mix before I joined LAWL.

To get into the swing of things and make it a habit, my first week after express - I added 10 minutes treadmill three times a week - then added five minutes to my routine each additional week to reach 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, I began walking 1.5miles each session. Then worked it up to new goals from there - adding minutes or extra days. Eventually, I was running (and loved it!). I used a beginning jogging routine - walk 2 minutes, jog 90 seconds. I did this until I could warm up, run for 20-25 minutes and so on. So as my body got used to the meal plans - something was always changing and I had something to work up to. I also added spinning and lifting once I reached an hour to the routine. I did notice however, that as Dan mentioned - I'd need more protein when I got to a higher activity level. Just watch for your body's signals.

It kept me interested and helped me get addicted to moving and exercise. It also kept my initial weight loss consistent.

Good luck!
jennis9 is offline   Reply With Quote