What diet and exercise program would be right for me?

• Hello all! I'm very new here and I have absolutely NO idea on how to choose the right program for me, so I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

So right now I'm about 210 pounds and I would like to lose at least 70 pounds by September. I would like to focus more on my stomach and my chest area, since the weight piles the most there, but my whole body also needs to be slimmer. As far as food goes, I usually eat processed food loaded with lots of salt. (I know, that's really bad) and carbs are my ultimate weakness. I usually eat very large portions, so a diet that will help me control the size of my plate would be great.
    And I also have cellulite on my legs that I wish would go away.
    I usually hardly do exercise, but I have a treadmill in my house that I will start to use once I find the right diet program.

So, thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Happy losing!!
  • Hi CC, I'm using the South Beach Diet. I've tried others, but SBD seems to be one I can stick with long-term. The first two weeks are restrictive, but let up after that. Come visit that forum and it will answer lots of questions. One of my favorite parts of it is food volume. I don't want 1/2 cup of anything. I'm hungry! With SBD, there is virtually no measuring or limits. If you are hungry, you can eat. It focus is good carbs and good fats. Check it out! Good luck on your journey.

Michelle
  • Short flippant answer? Whichever one works for you!

Slightly longer less flippant answer: I count calories, that works for me. But everyone is different.

Why don't you try just changing a few things first? One suggestion that is often made is to not try and change your eating habits initially, just write down everything you eat and do in a normal day for a couple of weeks. Then have a look at what you are eating, and when (emotional eating is a big trigger for some) and see what you can change.

I'm a little concerned at your aim to lose 70lb by September. The idea of putting a time limit on a goal may be great for other things, but it doesn't tend to work for weight loss. Life happens. Things crop up which may cause you to lose weight slower than you plan. Doesn't mean you have failed, just that your goal maybe wasn't realistic in the first place.

What you have to remember is that no matter what plan you choose, this isn't a short term fix. You can't "go on a diet" and then go back to how you were once you lose the weight. This is a long-term, forever lifestyle change.

Quote:
    I usually hardly do exercise, but I have a treadmill in my house that I will start to use once I find the right diet program.
    Why not do it the other way round? Why not start walking on the treadmill while you have a think about how you can change your eating plan into one that will help you lose weight and get healthy for the rest of your life? Don't wait to get on the treadmill. DO IT TODAY! (Yep, that was my frustrated side coming out). 5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever you have the time for, it will be more than what you are doing now. And your body will thank you for it.

Good luck, and keep checking back in. The chicks here are very supportive and encouraging, but won't hesitate to kick your butt if they think you are slacking off or making excuses!
  • first of all, to 3FC. Great advice and great people!
    I agree, get moving! it is cold here but I walk outside everyday (ok not Minisota cold but winter cold none the less. I also have an eliptical.

The short answer to your diet specific areas is probobly not what you want to hear. More than likely you will loseit the way you gain it, so if chest/stomach is first, it will be the last to go. BUT you can target areas with exercise for specific areas which might be better.

I am a calorie counter, check out fit day, calorie King, sparks people all are free, but I think it is important to be honest with yourself in logging your food and daily calorie intake, regardless of what program you may or may not do. Also Check out your BMR, that will tell you how many calories you can eat a day for your size/age/height and gender. I am all about the numbers and making them work for you. Take it slow and make a life change, not a quick fix. event losers always put the weight back on because once the event is done so is the need for a diet.

Also go check out the 20 somethings, they have a very active group and may understand you and your lifestyle better and have some really good pointer on what has worked for them. The really good news for you is that the weight should come off easily if you get moving and eat with in a program. Age is in your favor!

Good luck and become the best you. you can be!
    -L
  • Counting calories (not just counting, the types of food matter too) combined with weight training and cardio (30+ minutes a day 4-5 days a week). Write down your results so you can track your progress. 70 lbs by the end of september is about 2 lbs per week, which isn't the easiest, but is doable.

The hardest part by far is the lifestyle change necessary to do the exercise and proper eating. If you can find a friend who also needs to lose weight, it might help.