Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Default You are what you eat?

Hello all,

has anyone tried Gillian McKeith's "you are what you eat" I did it last year and felt great...she has a TV show that comes on BBC...it is pretty inspirational. It is a lot of preparation and hard work... has anyone else had good experience with this plan??
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I do love that show. I have seen all of the episodes so far, and wish they would put out some new ones. I got her cook book and started trying out her recipes. A lot of them are good. It is a lot of preparation and takes some getting use to (all the new foods) but, it is very very healthy. I couldn't do my whole diet with just the cook book like she wants us to do, but I have taken some of the recipes and use them periodically. I also do a lot of her fruit smoothies (although I add non fat yogurt to them). There are a few of her recipes that were just no good at all but, everyone has their own tastes.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I also enjoy the show and love veggies and to cook but the food on the show doesn't seem appetizing to me. I'm going to check out her cookbook.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've seen the show, find it interesting, but I believe that Gillian McKeith herself has been kind of debunked as an "expert". I also think that her methods are a little to out there and radical for me.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I've seen the show, find it interesting, but I believe that Gillian McKeith herself has been kind of debunked as an "expert". I also think that her methods are a little to out there and radical for me.

She doesn't call herself Dr anymore but I think that is about the most debunking they have done!

I love that show although I did find that whenever I watched it I was always eating pizza or something equally unhealthy.

Her plan does seem to require a lot of work and planning ahead. A friend of mine did her weekend detox and she said it was very demanding and some of the stuff did not taste that good.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Well, I think there's more to it than that. She's had some products withdrawn from the market for making false claims about them. She advocates detoxes and colonic cleansing, which is something I have a huge problem with. She pushes products from her own line as being "necessary" for healthy eating and weight loss. And much of her methodology has been called into question by legitimate nutritionists and doctors alike.

I've also read a few articles where people who were on her show were interviewed and they all gained back a significant amount of weight and said that she was quite condescending and even rude to them.

I dunno. Obviously YMMV, I just think that her show and her products and books are more about marketing and sensationalism than real nutrition and helping people.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #7  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I dunno. Obviously YMMV, I just think that her show and her products and books are more about marketing and sensationalism than real nutrition and helping people.

I agree, and I don't enjoy the "poo" portion of the shows at all. The other night DH and I were watching it and he said that he bets her poo isn't all that great either.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

yes I can't STAND the whole poo thing!!!! It grosses me out!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

yes, the poo thing is a bit much
some of the food is very bland, and needs some personal touches.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote