3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Eating Slower (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/159772-eating-slower.html)

HadEnough 12-31-2008 09:00 AM

Eating Slower

How do you train yourself to eat slower and chew your food more? I try to tell myself these things, but I still eat fast. 44 years of habit is hard to undo.

And does not chewing your food contribute to weight gain? I have always wondered that.

PhotoChick 12-31-2008 09:41 AM

Not chewing your food won't contribute to weight gain. You could swallow it whole or mush it up - it wouldn't make a difference.

While I think it's a good idea and healthy for you to chew more and take your time eating, it's not *how* you eat that will make you gain. It's how much you eat and what you eat. The reason for the advice to slow down and chew more is to make you think about what you eat and to give your body time to register being full vs. being hungry.

If it's totally impossible for you to slow down, that's ok. Just portion your food carefully and don't let eating fast make you eat more than you need or want.

rockinrobin 12-31-2008 10:05 AM

I think when starting a weight loss program one definitely needs to "figure out" where there extra lbs are coming from in order to set themselves up for success. Such as, too many carbs, too many sweets, too much EVERYTHING, eating late at night, an emotional eater, not gtetting enough water, not enough exercise and so on and so on. More often then not it's a combination of things.

I never would have put in there "eats too quickly". Although I certainly DID eat too quickly, I still do in fact. I used to shovel my food in my mouth. Couldn't get it in there fast enough. Like I said, I still do eat rather briskly, I DO need to work on it. But it was never the "main" issue for my being morbidly obese. Not even close. And though I still haven't learned to slow down, I was able to shed 165 lbs and keep it off for almost 1 year and a half now.

Yes, by all means, work on slowing it down. But more importantly, try to "figure out" what else you will need to do in order to have weight loss success.

JulieJ08 12-31-2008 10:25 AM

Slowing down has been key to me being satisfied with less food. I used to be the fastest eater I knew, and it was embarrassing, but I just really wanted to shovel it in.

I happen to be single. Now, most advice will say to slow down and do nothing else while you're eating. Focus on it and enjoy it more. That if you're doing something else, you'll eat mindlessly and eat more.

But I found the opposite. If I read, or use the internet, or write while I'm eating, it really helps me slow down. I take a bite, then get absorbed in my book or whatever, then take another bite, and so on.

I think now I'm ready to eat more meals with no distractions. I'd like them to be more relaxed. But using the distractions for a while really helped my break my habit of wolfing food down.

When with other people for a meal, it really helps to focus on conversation as a means to slow yourself down.

golfgal7 01-04-2009 12:33 PM

slow eating

I am working on this. I am often ravenous and feel I must gobble food. WHen I think and slow down it helps.
Cheers:cool:

JenJam 01-04-2009 01:00 PM

I find it helps me. I eat about 1/3rd less than I normally would if I do this. This is the reason it helps with losing fat - I eat less.

I do it by taking smaller spoonfulls into my mouth, then putting down my spoon (or knife and fork) then swilling the mouthful I have round my mouth before swallowing.

Julie I'm glad to hear you read and eat, I had it in my head this was a bad thing but you're right, it can help me eat slower. Thank you :)

irrevocable 01-06-2009 07:04 PM

I dont think I could slow down my eating...only if I have had a really good day and have had a good breakfast and lunch. Unfortunately getting enough calories in at breakfast and lunch can be hard for me so I can end up really hungry at the end of the day. (So normally try to get a large smoothie in!)

What I do is just eat lots of fruit beforehand and when it comes to my main meal I can slow down my eating and thus not overeat on it. Fruit is very easily absorbed - literally straight away - so you can get satisfaction hunger wise by eating plenty of fruit.

As for chewing your food - it is important - for good teeth/teeth structure and also for mixing your food up in saliva.