Old 11-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #16  
Depressed Fatty

S/C/G: 233/220/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks guys for your support. Right after I joined this message board, I started to eat healthier. I do feel hungry & have cravings, but I'm at my house and there are no snack foods. lol Today I had lemonade instead of root beer at work. I shall count my calories. I like that website, it really helps me.
cadilynnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadilynnro View Post
Thanks guys for your support. Right after I joined this message board, I started to eat healthier. I do feel hungry & have cravings, but I'm at my house and there are no snack foods. lol Today I had lemonade instead of root beer at work. I shall count my calories. I like that website, it really helps me.
I'm so glad you haven't wasted another momemt and got right to the healthy eating!!!

I will tell you the first two weeks for me were very, VERY difficult. Actually, it wasn't even a full 2 weeks if I recall correctly. It was more like 10 days. I was craving big time. But like any "addict" there is a drying out period. But once that period is over, it gets much easier. MUCH. Though those 10 days were difficult, it didn't matter any more. I had made the decision to lose the weight and that was that. Enough already. I HAD MADE A COMMITMENT. I knew it would pass and I knew it would be worth it. And besides they were no more difficult then being overweight. Not even close. And I knew this difficult would actually benefit me and get me somewhere.

Not to be a killjoy, but depending on which website you go by, lemonade has between 100 - 130 calories for 8 ozs. Unless of course it was sugar free.

You really, really have to be careful of EVERY thing that goes in your mouth. It may seem a pain at first, but it's just in the beginning til you get used to it and get everything down pat. And remember, even if it's a bit of a pain to start with, it's waaaaay less of a pain then being overweight. And there's no way around it. Our bodies are keeping an accurate journal and counting everything, even if we're not, so we might as well.

I'm excited for you as you begin on this incredible journey. I had a fabulous, fabulous time losing the weight and I knew you will too.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #18  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi 5 foot nuthin' Robin, long time no see!
Quote:
YOU MUST TAKE CONTROL. And it did mean giving up some things. Very strict in the beginning. Sure I loved ice cream, cake, fried foods and the such, but I didn't LOVE what it did for me. And I finally realized that I could not have it both ways. Those "things" are meant to be eaten once in a while. A rarity.
I 100% agree with you about those "things" are meant to be eaten once in a while. That's what got all of us here in the first place, high calorie foods. Cadilynn... I don't/didn't keep tempting foods in my home and I haven't been to a fast food place in eons. Logic always wins, why go to all the trouble of counting calories (very, very important), exercising, etc. and then blow it on McDonald's french fries? One thing I have to add to all the excellent advice from our 3ff friends is FIBER. Keep your fiber grams up, it's the main reason I lost 30 lbs. I am still keeping my fiber up, it keeps me full and the plumbing running smoothly

Good luck on your new journey!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

Bobbolink!!!! Hi there friend. How've you been? Judging from your avatar - quite well. You look beautiful.

And how could I have forgotten - FIBER. Weight - loss - power - house. ! ! ! That's why those veggies are SO important - so nutritious, so low calorie, so delicious when you learn how and what to do with them and oh so FILLING. Oh and oh so regulating too.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #20  
Depressed Fatty

Ugh. I got the flu today, so I can't even keep anything down, not even water.
The lemonade I was drinking had 5 calories per 8oz. But today it doesnt matter what I ate, even though I ate good, cause it all came up. lol Hopefully this is only the 24hr flu.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

All right-y then about the lemonade! And nevermind the whole drawn out speech.

So sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you recover quickly. Doesn't sound like fun. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and rest up. All the best.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 162/153/130

Height: 5'5"

I absolutely agree with everyone in here, even though I'm not quite there yet. And if you are looking for a plan that is going to help you get the point where you feel the same way as the rest of the posters in this thread, weight watchers is a great way to go. It's the same concept as "fitting" a brownie into your calorie intake for the day. You count points and if you have enought points missing in the day to fit a brownie in, then you're more than welcome too. Plus you go to meetings everyweek where people just like you, trying to not only lose weight but change their lives for good this time, help and encourage you to achieve your goals. I hope that actually answered your original question, lol.
bonniethegreenbuilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #23  
Depressed Fatty

I went to the WW website, that is too expensive for me. lol
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #24  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

You can put me down as a calorie counter too. What everyone said above pretty much covers anything I would have said.

I started one thing at a time. First I started eating only when I was hungry and only about 1 cup of food at a time. (Which isn't a lot of volume, when you're used to restaurant portions, heh!) After a couple weeks of retraining myself what a reasonable portion size was I started trying to eat more whole foods and less pre-packaged/processed stuff. After a week or so of that I found 3FC and started using The Daily Plate to track what I ate - which pretty much instantly led me to plug my height/weight/goals in and get a recommended calorie count for the day and I've been calorie counting ever since.

I love it!

Last edited by rodeogirl; 11-26-2008 at 12:48 AM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #25  
Workin' It

Hi cadilynnro -
I've been sick this week myself, so I just read this thread. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you work at Wendy's and wanted to comment on that, as I worked for a Burger King franchisee for 13 years and now work at another quick service restaurant...

When I was earlier in my career I was in the restaurant every single day, on my feet pretty much all the time. I never had time for breaks, so I often kept a sandwich or some fries or hash browns or something open on the counter in the office and would run by and grab a bite here and there all day long. In looking back, I ate constantly. I wasn't calorie counting at the time so I have no idea how much I ate that way. A likely conservative estimate done this morning shows that I probably ate in the neighborhood of 3500 calories on some longer work days. The only reason I didn't gain significantly more weight than I did was the fact that I was active on my feet all day. As I started going between stores I did the same thing, just ate in my car instead of on the fly, and I sat down more. Gained more weight then because my activity level dropped. I tried to make some changes then, andl ooking back on then from today's perspective I have even more survival in the fast food world thoughts. (I still work in the restaurants biz, my office is upstairs now. That makes it a lot easier.)

1.) Buy a big plastic drinking bottle, like the Nalgene maybe, and keep it filled up all day with that great filtered water you can get off the noncarbonated drinks on the drink station. The lemonade you drank was the Diet Minute Maid, right? Not too bad, but water would be better for you, even if it was only half the time. And like you have already said, don't give in to the soda temptation!

2) Wendy's has a lot of build items for great salads - if you get a break to eat customize your own salad instead of the standard builds and leave out some of the higher cal items like the noodles and stuff. I see on the website that the ancillary items are what drive the calorie count on your salads. I don't love the dressing choices from Wendy's at this point, I often buy the salad and put my own dressing on it at home. Don't be afraid to bring a bottle of dressing and put it in the crew food section of the walk-in, if they allow you to do that in your location.

3) I used to make up baggies with snack items (carrots, sliced pepper, almonds) in the restaurants and I would label them with the daypart I wanted to consume them in. When I wanted to grab a handful of fries and run out the back door for a minute I could grab a baggie of nuts or something. Make sure you keep track of the calorie counts on those, I realize now I ate way too many nuts and not enough carrots!

4) Yogurt cups used to work really well for me in the restaurant - I would get the chocolate flavored ones for when I desperately wanted a milkshake after a crazy day. Small portion, easy to eat fast.

4) Calorie counting is easier for you at work than for most people, because you have total control over what you consume and a website with nutritional data to look it. I used to eat burger patties and grilled chicken patties with no bread a lot - I didn't eat salad at the time. If I could go back and do it again I would eat more chicken salad, less everything else.

5) Vitamins vitamins vitamins. Take a good multivitamin. You have a pretty physically demanding job, so make sure you get all of your nutrients in.

Good luck!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote