Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Default pedometers accuracy?

so I'm about to start the step diet ok so I got a pedometer today so excited to average my steps this next week but I have a question. I know from what I read that when you first get your pedometer and you count out so many steps (I did 50) and then double check the pedometer and it's 10 steps within that number that is considered accurate right? ok but I have worries, just as I was clipping it on it read a couple steps so I reset it before I actually began to walk, but what about while driving? will the jostling of a vehicle make it count steps? I'm worried that my number may be really inaccurate because of changing positions in my chair at work or driving, how do you keep those things from messing your steps up?
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

I've been having the same worries with my pedometer. I don't think it goes off to much in the car unless you're on a really bumpy road. Maybe you can try taking it off while you drive?
When I write down my steps for the day I always minus a couple hundred or so. Just in case, so I won't be lying to myself. I'd rather think I took less steps than I really did, than think I took more steps. I guess it might be a motivation to walk more, so taking a couple hundred off at the end of the day won't be a big deal.

Good luck and keep movinnnn!
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most pedometers (cheap) I've had are more likely to undercount rather than significantly overcount. Gettting the thing clipped to the waist often would jostle a few "fake" steps out of it, but if I counted as I walked, I'd always come up with a higher count than the pedometer would.

I learned recently in my TOPS class, that can be corrected by wearing the pedometer clipped to your shoe rather than your waistband.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224.4/210/150

hey! thnks kaplods i am going to try and do that now! when ever i am going out for walk clip it on my shoe.
amyx33 is offline   Reply With Quote