Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Default Any nursing mommies out there??

Can anyone help me figure out where to start? I am currently pregnant in my 3rd trimester but plan on jumping right back on plan when I deliver. I'm technically due in October but I know once I go into labor I won't have a brain to think this out. SO, I am doing it now. Can you tell I am a planner?? Since I know my body will detox itself right after delivery, I was going to add the 4 oranges in addition to making sure I get my water and lite salt. I'm not sure if I want to do the takeoff or jumpstart. I have done the red program before while breastfeeding but can't remember if they had me to do a takeoff while nursing. I definately have never started back on plan in the first 12 weeks. I feel like starting as soon as I deliver will help me to get back in the groove of making sure I get all my foods in. I am really bad about that. I don't feel like I eat enough. Then I grab junk at night when I get the munchies. If I let myself slide while I am getting the hang of a newborn,(this is my fourth baby)I will totally have a harder time getting back on. I plan on doing the RED plan with no lites. I think it was called RED PLUS PLUS a while back. I don't need the portions or exchanges since I kept all my books. I just want feedback. What do you think??
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/231/151

Height: 5'2

The will not let you do take off if you are the baby's sole source of food.- So this will be till 6 months post-partum

Honestly- I wouldn't reccomend bf'd and dieting. Your body needs food and good fats to produce breastmilk. The first 6 weeks are the hardest too because you are still establishing your milk supply. Also when you nurse it triggers chemicals and helps you lose weight anyways.

If I were you I would follow a healthy eating style, for at least the first 6 months and then go from there. Add some exercise in there and you will be back on track in no time. Don't eat junk- but eat a well balanced healthy meal. Join a strollercize class or a baby yoga/aerobics class.

Take care of yourself and your new baby- thats really what matters.
jesskahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #3  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi almost

Debbie, who is currently on vacation, is a bfing mom. I am sure she can help you quite a bit. I nursed 5 kids.....but that was previous to LAWL. I don't think it is good to restrict calories during the first few months of bfing......but........I do not think doing red plan 1 w/o lites will hurt you at your weight. It is a lot of calories. I would bring a copy of it in to your OB on your next visit and ask him/her if she approves. I hear what you are saying about not eating enough and then eating junk. That is why following the red 1 plan might not be a bad idea. When I did diet while bfing.......I always just made sure I got enough protein. The le leche league advises getting plenty of protein in on your diet while nursing. I also ate as many fruits and veggies as I wanted.

When you have a lot of kids, sometimes you need the structure of something like LAWL just to keep you consious of what you are eating. I think if you listen to your body and follow the plan you will be doing you and your baby a great service.

Best of luck on a safe and speedy delivery. And hang with us until then.....it will help pass some of the time
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #4  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

I did Red1 w/o lites while I was nursing and I didn’t have any problems but I did wait until my milk was well established before I started a structured diet. And no the COD would not allow me to do FF and/or TO even after I cut way back on nursing. I loved Red1. I said I was never going to quit nursing because I loved all the food I got to eat. Of course I was kidding, but it was great while it lasted almost a full year!!
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Thanks, for the replies.

Nicole- I totally feel like if I just had a guideline (RED plan) I would do better than on my own. I wouldn't be restricting calories in fact just the opposite. My weight loss problem was that I was never eating the right foods. Each time I would get so tired it was easier just to nap than eat something nutritious. I have already prepared my mother who is coming up to help me that she will be on house arrest once I deliver!!! She doesn't mind this at all and it makes her happy because she loves to feel needed and that she is not in the way! Dh loves when she's here too 'cuz he is off the hook with extra duties! Mom is great about serving me cut up veggies and making sure my water cup is never empty. The three girls in my family (Sister and SIL and me) all grab her when we can after delivery. I really think she could be a doula or at least a great PP helper to moms. I mention that after we all get out of childbearing years!

Dawn- I too loved all the food I could eat on the red plan. In my mind it will make me feel good to know that I am supposed to be eating all of it. I still think I will add the 4 oranges in while I am in the hospital to help detox. I know I get a lot of fruit servings so it will still be POP.

I am eager to talk to Debbie since I remember talking to her about nursing before I got pregnant. Maybe I"ll PM her instead.

Thanks again.
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #6  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Debbie must be on vaca. Of course PM her if you like, but this is a huge topic for so many of us, that any discussion on the boards will probably be helpful to others. How nice your mom will come help you.
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Yay!! I'm back from vaca.

I'm doing red1 without lites. This is what a COD told me and its been great, i dont feel hungry at all and its a ton of food. This is the plan i think you should be on. Its 2.5p, 4v, 4f, 4s, 2d, 1f. I didnt start back until my son was about 5mo & I never did any TO or FF or anything.

Since you want to start soon after delivery you should probably check with your doc because thats when you are establishing your supply and i'm not sure if the diet will affect it in any way. My supply was already established and even then i noticed a little drop which went back to normal after a few weeks. My son is a 1 sided nurser and even being on LAWL i still make enough on 1 side for him.

GL, i hope you have all the info you were looking for. Let me know if you need anything else.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote