Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default Thirst and plateaus

I've had a little bit of a plateau, or at least a slowdown, the past 2 or 3 weeks. What I noticed was that I was not thirsty. I still tried to drink as much, but it was like forcing down a meal when you're already full. It was a strange feeling, because normally I want more water all the time. Now that I'm losing a little more, I'm thirsty and enjoying my water again. Has anybody else noticed this? I don't think it was about water retention, as my diet was the same, and I did still drink lots and lots, but I had to force it. I've been doing this for 3 months too, so it doesn't seem cycle related. I guess it just seemed like if my body wasn't burning fat, it just didn't want as much water.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #2  

Nobody?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Here (raises hand).

Yep, scale stalled and the only time I'm actually thirsty is after a really hard workout.

I've sort of been gnawing on a theory that it actually is water weight - that, because the weather has gotten so much hotter, my body is making sure it has enough in reserve to provide the coolant (OK, sweat ) it needs. I might actually still be using up fat but my body is replacing it in the "storage space" with water. If I lived in an age before bottled water, I might have to go more than a day without finding a *watering hole* so, to keep me from going batty, my thirst switch goes into dormant mode as long as there is extra water in that *cistern* that follows me around all day (kind of like a camel's hump except lower . The only *research* I have to back this up is my own OC twice daily weighing - since the temps started going over 100 I consistantly weigh about 2 lbs less in the afternoon than I do in the morning. One afternoon I drove home from work without the AC and was actually 4 lbs less than I had been that morning - and really thirsty. Of course, it was right back up the next morning
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #4  
No description available.

Hmmmm....good question.....

I've noticed that when I am drinking a ton of water and peeing a ton, that's when my weight moves down. I wonder if it might be a chicken/egg type thing? Which drives which? Does the weight loss drive the desire for water? Or does the desire for (and consumption of) water drive the weight loss?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #5  

When breaking down glycogen (from the liver, muscle stores, stored fats), the last step produces ATP (energy) and water (that is excreted via urine, sweat, etc). I'd wager a bet that you didn't require as much water intake when you hit your plateau because the demand for water was lowered. You weren't using as much of your glycogen and fat stores.

Last edited by cmichele1974; 07-15-2008 at 04:25 PM.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I wonder if it might be a chicken/egg type thing? Which drives which? Does the weight loss drive the desire for water? Or does the desire for (and consumption of) water drive the weight loss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichele1974 View Post
When breaking down glycogen (from the liver, muscle stores, stored fats), the last step produces ATP (energy) and water (that is excreted via urine, sweat, etc). I'd wager a bet that you didn't require as much water intake when you hit your plateau because the demand for water was lowered. You weren't using as much of your glycogen and fat stores.
That's what I was thinking, theoretically. Wondered if it seemed that way to others. Thanks.