Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #1  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Default Intuitive Eating #7

Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied.

Last edited by Shay; 06-30-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Ok reposting then, thanks

Hi guys! I have one more question for you all, if that's ok

How do you deal with business travel, if that's a factor in your life? I'm on a trip right now, and it's frustrating having to eat on a schedule that isn't my own. I do have protein bars and such in my purse, but it's not an option in some of these meetings. I had to eat breakfast very early this morning when I wasn't hungry and am slightly too-full, but I won't get a chance to eat again until late this afternoon. Thankfully I'm going home today. Since my travel isn't terribly frequent (3x this month, but that's just an anomoly), is it just something I take in stride and get back to it when my trip is over?

Last edited by Forever42; 04-01-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #3  
My Evolution

Good morning everyone,
This is our new home for the next three months.

I've got to get on the road soon to get to work but I can't figure out what I want to take for lunch!! If I can't figure it out in the next 20 minutes I think I may go to Einstein's and get their turkey panini. That's what I will do because now it is in my head that's what I want. I can eat half for lunch and half for dinner. Half is filling enough for me generally. I also love their blackberry lemonade. Gotta get one of those. There's been a time or two that I didn't by any food but just went to get the drink. Oops I think I may have a lunch meeting today. I better check into that.

Forever--I travel too but only once every couple of months for meetings and workshops. As you do I travel with snacks. I still eat when hungry not necessarily when everyone else does. So if I know I will have a refridge in my room I will either bring food or shop when I get there. I have no problem breaking out with a snack during a meeting or workshop but I work in recreation so your environment may not be as casual. You can always be polite and say "I hope no one minds but I am hungry so I'm going to eat a snack now". I'm just not that formal. I just take it out and eat it. When they serve food if you are not hungry you could always skip the meal and catch up with people later unless it is a requirement to attend.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #4  

Yeah, my meetings when I'm traveling are definitely very formal, unfortunately. We do have beverages (I work for Coca Cola, I'd hope so! ), but it would be very bad form for me to have a snack.

In my office back home, it's much more casual so there's no problem there!

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure it will just continue to be a work in progress - many years of bad habits to undo.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #5  

There is so much trial and error with IE but it seems to work itself out. I don't travel for business but will be going on vacation with the extended family next week to Colorado for skiing. I don't ski but baby sit. I used to ski but never really enjoyed it. I hear you on eating when traveling. My biggest problem is everyone brings snacks and I get too hungry and eat them when what I really want is a meal. My DH is really bad about stopping. He just wants to get there. I know if I eat good at mealtime I won't be as tempted.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Here's the NSV Scale-free challenge I started, for those who are interested in celebrating all the changes we are making that aren't related to numbers on a scale! There's no reason we can't participate in many types of challenges, and so many people expressed they wanted a way to not focus just on the numbers on a scale as a measure of worth and progress.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...21#post2127321
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I don't have business trips, but when I was "dieting" it was usually difficult, but our trip this time will be a little different with flying. We will arrive in FL in about 2 hours and the same coming home. However, eating will be on someone elses schedule which is really more difficult for DH as everyone eats late and we usually have main meal around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We will be with DD and her family. When I get there I will go purchase to foods we eat and also get snacks of fruit etc for the grandchildren so that when I eat they can eat something too. You know how they want what you eat or want a snack too. It will be interesting to see how it goes this time now that I do IE. DD and I like the same healthy foods so that won't be a problem even when we eat out. Funny thing is she is really DH daughter and I married him 5 1/2 years ago. He said they always asked her who she belonged to because she loves "healthy" foods and not what he and deceased wife (her mother) normally ate wo which I always lol and say "She belongs to me". I really look forward to being with her and our Mother/Daughter Day out to the mall.

Good Luck Forever on making it work for you.

Y'all have a good day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #8  

Hi, I found the new thread!

Forever, I haven't been on a business trip (or any other kind of trip really) since starting IE, but I'm thinking it will work better for me than WW did when I was traveling. All the inability to measure and count points accurately led to eating to excess and feeling guilty. I can understand your concern about eating on their schedule and probably not always having much choice in what you eat. I just think you will have to eat when you get the chance. If you're starving when you start eating, that doesn't mean you have to eat superfast, just eat slowly and consciously as always and hopefully you won't binge.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #9  

Thanks everyone, for the continuing advice. I'm back home thankfully, and it's such a relief to be back on *my* schedule!

One of the funny things is, quite often when I'm on a trip (most of the time, really), I do get to choose what and where I'm eating. Part of my problem is falling into the trap of "oh no, what if I never eat here again, I'll be so disappointed if I don't try xyz!" But I realize I'll just have to get past that.

One thing I can't seem to find covered in IE is how people deal with alcoholic beverages. I like to have a glass of wine or beer with dinner quite often, but it's harder to put a "fullness signal" on caloric beverages.

But thanks again for the advice, and I'm so glad to have found this thread
Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42 View Post
One thing I can't seem to find covered in IE is how people deal with alcoholic beverages. I like to have a glass of wine or beer with dinner quite often, but it's harder to put a "fullness signal" on caloric beverages.
I've been wondering about this as well. On I Can Make You Thin, McKenna just said wait to drink alcoholic beverages until after your meal. I didn't see anything about it in the IE book. I guess just try to follow the general principles you have with regard to food. Stop and think about why you might be wanting to drink, or if you even really want to drink. If you really still do, go ahead and have the wine.

It's tricky for me, because of the disinhibition I get when I drink. Even with one glass of wine I can be buzzing and want more and have it without thinking. But I'm learning. I prefer to have something after the babies are in bed. So last night after the babies were in bed I was craving some wine. But I realized I was really tired and would be going to bed soon and didn't really need it. I still wanted it a little, but I didn't go to bed with regrets that I didn't have any.

Last edited by Amy8888; 04-02-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #11  
My Evolution

Can't really help with the alcohol piece. I kind of burned out on drinking in college and I may have one drink a year if that. In general one is enough for me because liquids are very filling for me personally. If I'm eating too forget it. There is no way I can drink an entire drink and eat too.

Doing really well in terms of IE. TOM is here so I really want to question myself before putting something in my mouth because this is a dangerous time for me.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #12  

Shay, I'm facing down my TOM too. Ick. It really just makes me feel sick. Headache, no energy, hot flashes. Tuesday night I dealt with it all by going on a long walk with my family to Dairy Queen and getting a Blizzard (and boy was it so yummy!). But last night all I could do was lay around and sadly, I ate non-intuitively.

On the plus side, I recently read we burn 300 extra calories a day when we have PMS just naturally. I never realized I had a physiological reason to be more hungry during my TOM, I always figured I was just craving fatty food.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #13  

Hi all. I probably won't be on after Sat. We are taking the kids and grandkids skiing in Colo. Have a great week!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #14  
My Evolution

Amy--Good info to know. Thanks.
Carol--I hope you have a fantastic time with your family. That sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #15  
My Evolution

Well I made it through 10 days binge free. I was planning to reward myself with some computer games but decided to buy an ice tea maker instead. I'm excited about using it when it gets here. IE is going well. Without IE I wouldn't be binge free so it is doing wonders for me.