Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Volumetrics - July/August - 2008

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start once again, since the previous thread was getting rather long . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

The long hot summer has definitely arrived in northern Nova Scotia looks like another really sticky day for us, but at least the sun is shining a little bit for this Canada Day Holiday.

Woke up realizing I was really stupid yesterday, I should have gone to the grocery store -- so now I'm completely out of salad greens and nothing is open today. Will I survive? Probably.

Have a great day . . .
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #3  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

What does Canada Day celebrate?

One last comment about headaches- this is a great quote I love- "When the head aches, all the members partake." Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote
I think that just says it all!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

Sure does, LIZ . . .

Canada Day is the official birthday of the Country . . . when we stopped just being a British Colony and became an independent and self-governing member of the British Commonwealth. Sort of our version of the 4th of July.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I can't believe it is July already! I am starting my 7th month of no weight gain. I am so proud of myself. Of course, I wish I would cut back a little and loose my last 15lbs. I guess that will happen when it happens.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

hi all- my day involves going to the dentist last night the DB and I worked on the yard. i'm not much of an outdoors person but he wanted the company.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 321.8/261/164

Height: 5'7"

Hi guys. I hope all of you are enjoying your eating plan. I'm hanging in there. This week, I'm going to try the recipe for the volumetrics burgers in the first book. It looks really good. It involves adding things like bulgur and veggies to the ground beef.

My weight loss has slowed down a lot. I don't know if you can call it a plateau when you are still losing. But I feel impatient with small losses! I lost .6 one week, and 1 lb. the following week. I feel like I am so overweight that I "should" be losing more. I was wondering if maybe I should try eating a little more. I think I might actually be eating too little if there is such a thing! I tried cutting out some snacks, and have been sticking to low ED foods (technically, I am using the WW core plan, but I am applying principles from the first volumetrics book).

So I had a treat last night. I tried Hillbilly Housewife's Magic Milk Shake and it was awesome. I used real sugar because I didn't have enough artificial sweetener. But I want to try it with Splenda. I think it would be good. I used canola oil instead of corn oil, for health benefits. I'm going to try olive oil next because I think the cocoa powder would cover up the olive taste. I guess I could try flaxseed oil too!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

It's not officially a plateau if you are still losing. Unfortunately our bodies don't always work at the rte we'd most like.

Just figured out (for a different thread) that I've averaged 2.33 pounds a month over the past 30 months for a total of 70 pounds. Forty-five of that was in the first year and, at the time, I thought that was too slow.

Hang tough, chickie . . .
Old 07-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/230/145

Height: 5 foot 6 inches

Talking Hello

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and I just ordered the volumetric books today! Although I must admit that before I ordered them I googled and ended reading up many previous volumetrics threads which is what ultimately made me decide to take the plunge. Honestly after reading so many previous threads I feel like I know a few of you already! I look forward to reading your posts and giving /receiving support!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

SHAYRAR . . . Glad to have you joining us in Volumetrics and glad to say as well. We'll all be looking forward to getting to know you better, chickie.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #11  

Thanks Meowee! I've got to get some of this weight off...I'm 25 and have high blood pressure already! Not to mention I put on about 75 lbs in 2 years I also have a wedding coming up in February and I miss the days of my once previously skinny self....and believe me it will be a much better day if I have to buy a new dress after I've lost some weight as opposed to if I gain!

Hope everyone has a great night!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Welcome, Shayrar!!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #13  

Thanks Gail!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi, I just saw a review of the top four diets on the Morning Show with Mike & Juliet. Volumetrics was #1. I've been intending to get back on some sort of program for a while, so I decided to dust off my Volumetrics book which I bought ages ago and never read.

To introduce myself, I'm 40-something & married with 2 grown children, 1 teenager at home.

I haven't stepped on the scales in months and I refuse to give that capricious device power over my life again. From the fit of my clothes lately, I'm guessing I weigh in the 170s to 180s range. I'm aiming to lose about 30 or 40 lbs. Whatever it takes to fit back into my favourite purple skirt.

I understand Volumetrics is one of those slow & steady sort of weight loss plans, so I'm happy to find this support group on 3FC.

PS In case you were wondering, the other plans featured on the Morning Show with Mike & Juliet were:

#2 Weight Watchers
#3 Jenny Craig
#4 Slimfast

Last edited by harmonyBelle; 07-01-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #15  
Onward and Downward

HARMONY . . . glad to have you joining us and I definitely think you will find this an easy set of priciples to live by -- I definitely do.

And for VOLUMETRICS coming in first . . . couldn't happen to a better plan.
Closed Thread