Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Hey,

I was putting on some pants today, and they felt a little too snug for my liking. This doesn't mean I'm going back to the 'diet matrix', but I do think I need to keep an eye on my portions. I'd probably do better with smaller amounts.

Does anyone here measure out thier food or do anything else in terms of portions? Obviously, eating what I think is a proper amount isn't working for me.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #152  

It really varies for me. Some weeks I"m really hungry but others I'm really not hungry. I can't really figure it out but I don't measure portions. I do try to eat only enough to be satisfied and sometimes that's too much. But then I just make sure I'm really hungry the next time I eat. We went to Culvers.....an ice cream an hamburger place...last night with friends and I just can't order there if it's just for ice cream as the portions are huge. Usually DH gives me a bite of his but last night I really didn't like what he picked so my DD gave me a bite or 2 of hers.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #153  

Some inspiration from Michelle May.

WORK IN PROGRESS

By Michelle May, M.D.

Like many of you, during August I tuned in nightly to watch
Olympians compete on the world stage. As incredible as the
events were, the stories of athletes who made personal
sacrifices to train every day or who overcame daunting
challenge to represent their countries inspired me most.

It didn't motivate me to hurdle my dining room chairs or do
a handstand from my roof into my pool. (I don't usually
dwell on limitations but there are just some things this 45
year old body was never meant to do.) Instead, the
athletes' accomplishments represented the daily to-do's I
sometimes slog through as well as the larger goals that
I've set for my life.

I'd like to share a few great quotes from past Olympians
and some of the take-home lessons I can apply each day
(even without setting up a balance beam in my family room):

Change your Thoughts to Change your Results

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." -Scott
Hamilton, figure skater

Realize that what you believe and think causes you to feel
a certain way, which causes you to do certain things, which
ultimately leads to specific results. In other words, your
thoughts are self-fulfilling prophecies. Of course, your
results usually reinforce your beliefs and thoughts,
resulting in either a positive feedback loop or a vicious
cycle. If you've taken an Am I Hungry? workshop, this will
look familiar: Thoughts > Feelings > Actions > Results.

If you don't like your results, become aware of what you've
been thinking. With practice, you can change your thoughts
about eating, physical activity, and anything else, to get
the results you desire.

Mistakes are Just Lessons

"The worst thing is to be paralyzed by fear. It's better to
fall trying. Then you learn what to do so you don't fall
again." -Brian Boitano, figure skater

Every mistake brings you one step closer to being an expert
by discovering what's most effective for you. Just do the
best you can and learn from what didn't work.

Advance the Ball

"Winning doesn't always mean being first. Winning means
you're doing better than you've ever done before." -Bonnie
Blair, speed skater

Don't get trapped into thinking you have to do something
perfectly and nothing else will do. I like the football
analogy of "advancing the ball." Rarely is a football game
won on 80 yard passes. Instead, think in terms of advancing
down the field a few yards and first downs at a time. When
the window of opportunity to reach your goal opens up,
you'll have the momentum and be in position to score.

Consistency and Repetition Win

"To be an Olympian you only have to work out twice; when
you want to and when you don't." -Darn, I couldn't find the
name of the athlete that said this!

Practice, practice, practice. Consistency and repetition
are the keys to energizing new behaviors. Baby steps that
you're willing to practice consistently will help you
gradually rewire what feels good to you. Encourage yourself
to move forward toward your goals every day.

Eat Mindfully. Live Vibrantly!
Michelle May, M.D.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #154  

Hey, all, sorry I've been MIA, mom's been here, and, I've been very busy, I miss you! I aggree with the sentiments expressed here about eating fake foods. I do happen to like mashed cauliflower, but, I'd never mistake it for mashed potatos. Bf took me out for prime rib last night, I'd never had it before, it had rosemary and garlic, and was really good. He's taking me somewhere for the weekend, it's a surprise.
Have just got the Paul McKenna stuff, and, it's really helping. I'm just not hungry, like I used to be. It works great with I.E. Talk to ya when I get back.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, everybody...Hope you all have an enjoyable Labor Day.

I had an odd thing happen this morning, that points up just how connected and interwoven food and emotions are for me.

I have an alcoholic brother. He's going through some messy personal issues in his life right now, and of course he turns to drink to dull the pain.

First thing this morning, he came to my door and dumped a whole truckload of emotional "stuff" on me. I am very, very sad for him and the way his life is, but I felt incredibly manipulated or something I can't quite name after he left.

It's as if he came to the door, tipped over a wheelbarrow full of manure, then just left it for me to clean up.

After he left, all I wanted to do was go stuff myself with the cupcakes that we had left over from this weekend. It's been two hours, and I STILL want to go eat a bunch of cupcakes.

This happens to me a lot, and I don't know how to fix that urge. It's as if the inside of me won't calm down until I soothe it with sugar or chips or something like that. Not good.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #156  

Hi Becky. My heart goes out to you, I have had more alcoholics in my life than I can count. Posting here is a great first step in taking back your right to your own emotional freedom. Let yourself feel the sadness, and know that you don't have to make his problems go away. His telling you all that without your permission was an act of emotional violence to make himself feel better, regardless of how it hurt you, you don't need to compound it by taking it out on yourself with the cupcakes. I know it might feel better in the short term, but, you'll be perpetuating the same pattern, and reinforcing food as anesthetic. Take care of you.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #157  

My dad had that same problem except that he didn't get really bad until I had left home. Really all they want is someone to listen and you can do that. Just know that you can't solve his problems and stick with hunger and fullness as your guide. Praying for you.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmegirl View Post
Hi Becky. My heart goes out to you, I have had more alcoholics in my life than I can count. Posting here is a great first step in taking back your right to your own emotional freedom. Let yourself feel the sadness, and know that you don't have to make his problems go away. His telling you all that without your permission was an act of emotional violence to make himself feel better, regardless of how it hurt you, you don't need to compound it by taking it out on yourself with the cupcakes. I know it might feel better in the short term, but, you'll be perpetuating the same pattern, and reinforcing food as anesthetic. Take care of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
My dad had that same problem except that he didn't get really bad until I had left home. Really all they want is someone to listen and you can do that. Just know that you can't solve his problems and stick with hunger and fullness as your guide. Praying for you.
Thank you, jazzmegirl and Carol. It was very sad. I know he doesn't do it on purpose. His life is just SUCH a mess. It's not easy to distance myself from it because he lives with me right now.

I did eat two cupcakes this morning, and two this afternoon, but I didn't go wild. I also called one of my sisters and talked to her about our brother, and that helped.

His "medication" is alcohol, and mine is carbs. Sheesh, where on earth do we learn this stuff anyway?

I do feel better tonight. I'm always sad that he can't seem to get his life on track, but I know that *I* can't do it for him. As you said, I can be there for him, but I have to take care of myself.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #159  

Hey all. This is the first time in a while I really wanted to go back on a diet. First day I've felt really down what I'd call depressed too. I've been off my meds for four months now, and, it's the best thing I ever did for myself. But, I knew it wouldn't be easy. Coming down from a great weekend with Bf, also, we went to the lake, took walks, he read me a book, we talked. I guess I also have class jitters. I start druid school tomorrow night, and, am really wondering if I did the right thing. I don't know what's wrong with me, I've been looking forward to the class all summer. I never questioned my desire to become a priestess, but, now, I wonder if I'm really good enough.
sing, tonight, and, I'm sad about tat, it happens so rarely. I haven't sung in front of people for months, I used to do it once a week, and realize how much I missed it. I feel confidant about our choice of material. Thanks for being there, posting makes me feel better. Oh, and, did I mention I want the w weight off yesterday?
Amie
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #160  

Aime, My problem is a little different. When ever I lose weight I equate it with being sick. That's really the only time I lose weight. So whenever I start to lose I think I must be getting sick again.........long term illness that is. Not a good thought. I have this long term illness that is always in the back of my mind and I rarely go to the dr. because I have been uninsured for years. My dh is my dr. even though he is a veterinarian. ha!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #161  

Hi, Carol. Well, I'd say that would be much more alarming than the old garden variety concerns we have. Feeling better about school, today. I researched this school, and really like my instructor, it just feels like a very serious undertaking. Even though the first year is only spent preparing the mind through meditation, it's a four year commitment.
Less depressed today, singing went well.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #162  

Default What is Intuitive Eating ?

Please explain to me what intuitive eating means? Is this like Weigh Down or Thin Within?
Thanks for your help
Patricia
patricia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #163  

Hi, Patricia. Yes, I.E. is like Thin Within minus the biblical perspective. As far as I know, I'm not Christian, so maybe somebody who knows more about those programs could help you out. I have run across them, however, and think they would be very good, were that my religous bent.
As I understand it, I.E. says you should listen to the needs of your body, which will naturally dictate hunger and fullness. We've corrupted those messages with diets.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #164  

Nothing much new here. I had kind of a bad day yesterday, overeating on homemade donunts that I hadn't made for awhile. But now I've decided when I make them that I will eat a couple and freeze the rest. That should do the trick. If I had just not eaten for the rest of the day I'd probably been ok but the old diet mindset said I needed to eat something GOOD for me. ha!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #165  

Carol, funny, I always worry that I'm not getting enough of this or that. Do you find after having done I.E. for so long that you choose a pretty broad range of foods?