Old 08-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Hello, all.....

Joy, I admire and applaud your ability to run. I just can't do it! My husband got me a set of golf clubs, etc for my birthday. We went to the driving range today. Who knew how hard it can be to hit the golf ball ,and who knew how much of an arm work out it is! It's frustrating and fun at the same time. I went from not being able to hit the ball to at least getting it off the tee. For awhile there I thought I was playing croquet.

This morning I walked to the library to return a book. Turns out it's 5.4 miles round trip, so I'm a bit sore.

We went to Steak and Shake for lunch. I had a chicken tenders meal thing w/ fried chicken, cole slaw and fries. Healthy? Not really, but it's the one item on the menu that really stuck out for me and appealed to me. I had what i really wanted, not what I thought I should have had...

Golf is a game of great patience, and self improvement. Much like I.E...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #137  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone, well today I went out to a buffet( the worst place for me) and it was a different experience. I ate want I wanted and stop before I was full. I was so proud of myself.

bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #138  

Hi. Optical, glad you had fun golfing, like the comparison to I.E. ev, congrats on the buffet. My goal fo the week, not step on the scale. Nothing major will happen in a short time, and, it's difficult for me to really commit to i.e. if I'm focused on my weight. Anyway, I have a diet obsessed employee who will surely comment if I'm losing weight, and, I can feel it. This morning I'm off to work out, and then a facial.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #139  

I noticed that when I'm really busy, like with this wedding, I lose weight pretty good. So that's a perk of being really busy. But today I'm really tired. Got up at 8:45 but felt like I could have slept all day. We had about 30 stay overnight on Fri. People everywhere. Now I can sleep better....maybe too much better ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #140  

Bev, I have noticed that, too, about buffets. In fact, now, when I'm full nothing looks good. And since there was so much food prep lately, food itself doesn't look particularly good. I still eat when I"m hungry, however.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #141  

Carol, I hope you get some good rest.
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #142  

Hello all,

I gave my scales a push under the bed. I will readily admit that I'm having mad trouble staying out of the diet mindset. I keep worrying that I'm gaining weight at a breakneck speed.

it's almost as if this is too good to be true. When I am eating, I have trouble deciphering between actually being satisfied, or convincing myself that I'm satisfied so I don't eat too much, and therefore gain weight.

Today's the hardest day I've had since adopting an IE lifestyle. I feel over whelmed and almost defeated.

I accept that I may not lose weight, but this gaining business isn't cool...
I'm really trying to have a good attitude about it, and realize that each day is a new chance for me to really listen to my body and it's signals, but it's tough. For some reason today's really tough...

Has anyone here done IE for a longer amount of time? Has anyone found it kind of hard to get used to that way of eating and way of thinking?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #143  

Oh yes! I've been doing IE for at least 2 years and have plenty of ups and downs even going on a few diets only to realize I can't do it any more. And now I'm down 30lb and can hardly believe it. Praise the Lord!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 235/196/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
Hello all,

I gave my scales a push under the bed. I will readily admit that I'm having mad trouble staying out of the diet mindset. I keep worrying that I'm gaining weight at a breakneck speed.

Has anyone here done IE for a longer amount of time? Has anyone found it kind of hard to get used to that way of eating and way of thinking?
This month has been my 2 year anniversary doing I.E. I was very tempted the first 6 months to go on a diet, but didn't. Some advice I wish I'd gotten when I started would be "Don't go crazy eating just because everything's been legalized"! I had just come off of a stringent diet, and it seemed as though my appetite was stuck in the "ON" position for many months. I had a hard time tuning into hunger and fullness and I gained a lot of weight. I've still got a few more pounds to lose to get to where I was when I stopped dieting. I wish I'd been more moderate because the lbs. are so fast/easy to gain and so slow/hard to lose.

Now that I'm releasing weight well this past month, I've decided to put my scale away. Getting on it right now seems to just trigger the ol' diet mentality for me and is making me focus too much on the numbers.

Joy
jump4joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #145  

I was reading another thread, someone mentioned 'making' cauliflower into other foods like brown rice, mac and cheese, potatoes...

someone else mentioned mixing cottage cheese w/ some apple type thing and calling it a danish...

why not just eat the real deal?

I don't want to be an anti-diet snob, and I know I used to probably be the person who imagined I was eating something besides what I was, but I just don't understand it now... Maybe I don't have that great of imagining capabilities, but if I want a danish or a cruller, only the real thing will do...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #146  

I agree with eating the real thing. If you think you won't stop, try eating your favorite thing for all meals 3 days in a row. You'll quickly grow tired of it. I've noticed that when I'm busy and don't eat as much, the next day I'm really hungry. So it evens out. I must say, life is becoming more important than food.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmegirl View Post
My goal for the week, not step on the scale. Nothing major will happen in a short time, and, it's difficult for me to really commit to i.e. if I'm focused on my weight.
Amie
I'm experimenting with this. I didn't weigh for two days, but did get on the scale today, just to check, and was down a pound. I can't seem to "cold turkey" away from the scale after being a daily weigher for so many years, but I can ease away from the habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Oh yes! I've been doing IE for at least 2 years and have plenty of ups and downs even going on a few diets only to realize I can't do it any more. And now I'm down 30lb and can hardly believe it. Praise the Lord!
Carol, this is wonderful--and gives me a lot of hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
I was reading another thread, someone mentioned 'making' cauliflower into other foods like brown rice, mac and cheese, potatoes...

someone else mentioned mixing cottage cheese w/ some apple type thing and calling it a danish...

why not just eat the real deal?

I don't want to be an anti-diet snob, and I know I used to probably be the person who imagined I was eating something besides what I was, but I just don't understand it now... Maybe I don't have that great of imagining capabilities, but if I want a danish or a cruller, only the real thing will do...
This is one thing that always got me about Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. You always had to make and eat "pretend" foods. Blech. I'm not doing that any more, no matter what happens with my weight. I will eat the real thing whenever possible.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #148  

Well, this might be a first for me. I made a 8 by 8 buttermilk chocolate cake a week or so ago and I finally put it in the freezer. I just plain got tired of it.......too rich. Anyone else have something like that happen?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #149  

Yesterday I had the hugest sweet tooth! I was set on getting a cruller afterwork. That's what I really, really wanted. Until I had to drive over there special to get it. I didn't want it as much then. Some raisin bran did the job and was probably a better choice anyway.

Since I've been using IE principles, it's honestly hard for me to read too many other threads, about pretend foods or bad foods.. if anything, it reaffirms the notion that I can't go back.

So many people have commented that I'm so much happier and more fun to be around than i used to be.

I'm still facing a challenge in terms of portions with cereal. I always eat a bowl in the morning, starting out w/a small amount and adding to it if needed. This is the most important meal of the day for me, so I do not feel heart broken about it.

tonight I'm planning on spaghetti and a salad. Because it's tasty and I want it. I'm getting sick, a cold, I can tell, so I'm curbing the activity. I know it's better for me to rest but it's hard now that I've been walking habitually and enjoying it.

Anyone have any big plans for the holiday weekend? I'm actually planning on doing darn near nothing, except cleaning the house and going to the driving range, depending on how I feel..

There are several big choices I've made in my life. Choices that took a lot of thought to actually commit to and truly decide. These were choices that other people weren't willing to accept, but man, do I feel more liberated for actually making those choices. I had to, for my health and sanity.

One would think I was turning my back on my church or faith for my 'conversion' to I.E. As a group, people are very passionate about weight loss and do tend to treat it as a religion. The parallels are freaky.

I wish all you a great weekend, no matter what you plan to do. This thread is the most 'at home' I've felt on 3FC, and that's saying a lot because this is a very welcoming board.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #150  

No plans here either. I haven't been feeling the best......kind of nauseous and diahrea. Hope it goes away quickly. Sure shoots the appetite. ha! I ate some cantalope this morning and it didn't taste good. Just me, though, as it was a good one. Hope your cold doesn't turn into much, OG. It's going to be really warm here for the next few days so that will curb the eating also. Seems like laying low is a good idea when you don't feel good.