Old 06-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #16  
LAWL Salt Police

Yeah... The problem is for me that I have no movie purse..

Add to that, the fact that Liz doesn't carry a purse anymore either, so HAVE to buy the popcorn there..

What's weird is that Liz, who has never been a big popcorn fan, has been really craving it lately, even threatening/toying with the idea of buying a bag of it from the movie theater in the mall we shop at... Now THAT's scary.. And no, she's not pregnant...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #17  
mom to 4 girls ~Elizabeth

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I think popcorn is a legal drug... I try to stash my own in too.. that is if I remember to pop it at home. The smell is intoxicating, maybe that is why Liz is craving it Dan???
4princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #18  

You are absolutely right there is NOTHING worth the amount of densly packed calories that are at the movie theatres.

I never really thought about the large popcorn issue. I feel a bit queezy now thinking about it.

However one of the issues we have with our local AMC is they will not allow us to bring anything in to eat or drink. We are forced to purchase something form their concessions or drink water from the drinking fountains.

We've changed up our tactics a bit, I've resorted to taking treats in (usually light nuts or something) in a larger purse. It's the only way to get the stuff in. Did you know that legally they can look through a teenagers backpack and remove either them or the items from the movie plex? But they can't go into my purse without a warrant? So needless to say I don't use backpacks (even though it would be more convenient).

The whole process is stupid, so they got the hint (a little) and started selling bottled water (their push for a healthier movie goer) at $5.00 for 8oz...

There is a very strong reason my husband and I have avoided the theatres. The prices of the bad goodies, the arrogance, and the over priced tickets. For us to go to the theatre, it costs around 30 bucks just for the two of us (and that does NOT include a real meal). So we changed tactics again, we only go on Saturday or Sunday morning when the tickets are 5 bucks each. And we don't do snacks. (I'll hide a bottle of water in my purse).

I honestly do not believe that commercial industries want us healthy or even to give us the choice to do so.

But regardless, excellent post and thank you for providing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I just had to accept there aren't any foods I can snack on at the movies - I might be able to budget the calories for the day, but there just isn't anything WORTH that many calories (to me). I usually bring in my own dried mango if I think I'm going to need a snack.

That doesn't mean I never eat treats, it just means that I really carefully choose it, it has to be something I really really love and would desperately miss if I lived my life without it - nothing at a movie theater qualifies for me.

I had a small chocolate dipped cone from DQ on Sunday though, 340 calories that were worth it to me as an occasional treat.
PetiteHourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 162/143/120

Height: 5'4

I went to Watch Sex/City last week. I brought in a 100 calorie pack of popcorn (that I had popped earlier) which counts as a starch and a LL.

I used to sell popcorn at a popcorn cart while in Univ and popcorn is popped in coconut oil then salted before the butter. For those on plan I would suggest avoiding even the unbuttered stuff. Many ppl who have severe eating disorders live off of air popped popcorn with no toppings because they can basically eat as much as they want,, low in calories and sugars and high in fiber.

Tan
petitelapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #20  
And we're Off!

S/C/G: I have a ticker!

Height: 5'5"

Oh I definetly have a movie purse! My husband even knows what it's for. For christmas last year I purchased him a refillable bucket at our local movie theater and it's but for the grace of my movie purse that I'm not in worse shape than I already am.
durdansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
I was wonder who else would admit to owning a "Movie Purse"!!! I pop my own at home, put it in a zip top plastic bag and tuck in in my Movie Purse along with a bottle of water. I can fit 4 zip bags and 4 bottle of water/soda in my Movie Purse.
I have a movie purse also. Initially (pre-weight loss) I bought it so we didn't have to pay the outrageous concession stand prices. DH and I don't do movie theater popcorn, but we are addicted to ICEEs. When they raised the price to $4.50 a pop, that's when I bought the movie purse. Soon after we started to get our ICEEs at the gas station before the movie. I'd stuff them in a ziplock bag in my purse. Now the purse has come in handy for all of my "healthy" alternatives. We bring air popped popcorn, nuts, laughing cow cheese, veggie sticks, and every once in a while I'll bring one of those 100 calorie 3 musketeer bars. Needless to say I love my movie purse.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote