3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   My alli (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/143720-my-alli.html)

onesullengurl 06-12-2008 03:18 PM

My alli

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using this and what are your thoughts on it ?... I know Diet pills in general are just a scam, waste of time and unsafe most of the time ... but this one just seems different to me :shrug: it is FDA approved .. I don't know but I think the none of other ones were .. they have a forum on their site where there is a lot of people that have posted with victory! when you sign up to it you get a web page full of dieting information and tips and your own "plan" to go along with taking the pill ... so they are encouraging healthy eating, exercising and lifestyle changes along with it rather than claiming their pill is just magic and you don't have to do anything .... and the best part is I can jsut buy it in walmart or targets at my own discretion without actually having to get stuck on a automatic shipping plan sort of thing ( I HATE those ) I dunno I am just trying to look for something like my alli or WW online .. maybe both lol... I just need a concrete plan that can encourage me and that I can stick too because I am horrible at this dieting thing .. I just get overwhelmed and sick of "planning "things out for myself .. I want something to follow ...

so.... anyways was just wondering if anyone has tried it and or has any personal experiences or anything ....

astigmatistic 06-12-2008 04:15 PM

Losing weight is a lot of hard work, there is no easy way out of it.

If you're already eating healthy, I don't see a pill helping you anyways, espeicially one to block fat? You still have to exercise, also.

If you already have to eat healthy and exercise...I say save your money because the pill won't do much.

Secondly, there is no magic pill that you can just take and the pounds will melt off with you doing no work.

Lots of hard work and determination!

CandyKisses0204 06-12-2008 04:16 PM

im searching around for you but there was a forum about a month or so ago about alli and the concesus was it worked but there are all kinds of nasty side effects (ie-anal leakage) doesnt sound too appealing to me

CandyKisses0204 06-12-2008 04:25 PM

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115217

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=alli

Hope these help out a little

CountryGurl 06-12-2008 04:26 PM

gave me the squirts

nelie 06-12-2008 04:32 PM

There used to be a group here that posted a monthly thread but I don't see it.

I looked into Alli when it first came out, to see what the real effects are and they are minimal. The amount of calories that Alli absorbs is maybe 100 per day (depending on how much fat you eat). 100 calories per day translates to nearly 3000 calories per month which translates to about 10 lbs per year.

The real power of Alli though is to 'force' you onto a low fat diet. You can defeat the pill easily by eating high calorie, low fat foods. (ie you could eat sugar all day long). The way it forces you to eat a low fat diet is by what Alli/Xenical users affectionately call "TE" or treatment effects. Basically, you can have anal leakage. Some people carry around a change of clothes or even wear pads/diaper to help in case of an embarrassing accident.

So some people can use Alli as a tool to help keep them on a low fat diet while others prefer to follow a low fat diet on their own. I personally follow a low fat diet and really think it is the way to go but you can do it without a pill.

Tammy 06-13-2008 12:01 PM

I used Alli last summer, and I lost 15 pounds. I did stick to the allotted amount of fat because I didn't want to have any of those treatment effects. I had a minor one, and it was my own fault. I also stuck to the amount of calories that were recommended. Yes, you can stick to a low fat diet on your own, but some of us (ME!!) needed that extra help to do it. I exercised while doing it, but I was already exercising at the time. I stopped using it when my husband became ill in the fall, and everything kind of fell apart around here. I have not gained any of those 15 pounds back! I have only lost a couple more since then.

I'm in my 50's, in the early stages of menopause, so I think the Alli really helped me.

Lilly83 06-17-2008 10:46 AM

i use alli. not all the time 3 times a day. but usually once a day or so.

yes there are side effects. i woudl avoid alli if you are goign to be eating a high fat meal deffinatly. however if you stick to the 15g of fat per meal you will be fine.

i think everyone has to find what works for them when it comes to loosing weight. i have lost about 5 lbs in the last 3 weeks. i can't say that alli did it. i excercise, play volleyball, do hot yoga. TRY my hardest to eat healthy, but have gave up on strict dieting as i want to be healthy mentally as well as physically.

mskrystalg 06-17-2008 11:29 AM

Alli pills

hello all, today is my 3rd day on Atkins and I'm also using Alli. I know they say not to use it but nobody gives me a reason why I shouldn't. I'm a stay at home mother so I'm not worried if I do get the "treatment effects" which so far I have not had any. I'm not limiting my fat intake at all. However I do eat smart proteins like eggs, chicken and cheese. I'm going to weigh in on Monday but I know I have lost already a few pounds. In the past I have lost 40 lbs on Atkins alone. I just had a baby and I hope the combo will help me lose the weight faster. I working toward 15+ a month. I'll post my weight loss on Monday.

madalinax 06-24-2008 02:29 PM

Alli pills

Hi!

I just started taking the Alli, and so far I had no problems. Well, today is my second day. yesterday though, I ate one slice of pizza, and I was expecting something "unexpected", but nothing happened. Nothing at all! I did not even have a bowel movement since taking Alli, so I could see some grease going out. Right now I am having a cofee, to see if this is going to have an laxative effect on me. Oh, yeah! I just came from the restroom. I have seen very little orange oily stuff. And if that pizza from yesterday was not fat enough....

I have been on diet taking prescripted medication-Phendimetrazine, and at the beginning it worked very good for me. The first month I have lost 13 pounds, the second 5, the third 9, after this I was losing 1 or 2 pounds a month,and that was it. I lost a total of 35 pounds. Than, I could not lose any more weight. Actualy I struggled keeping it off, and I was gaining and losing, and so on. In the past few months I craved over peanut butter, something I did not eat for 8 years. Because of that, and because I was checking my weight everyday and getting desperate seeing it going up, I packed up 15 pounds. I have tried the same medication, but it doesn't work for me anymore, and it was giving me headeaches. When I stopped using it, I felt exausted, with no energy. I just don't want to use this anymore. Than I bought a stupid lie, called Removyl, and after receiving it I decided to dosome research on it. Too late! Now I have bee investigating about Alli, and decided to get it. I will let you know about the results. Right now, my weight is 155. I would really like to get to 130, because I want to get pregnant in September, and I do not want to double myself the way I did with my first baby. I went from 130 to 205. :o

I hope that this will work for me, and even though it says it does not work on the brain, but on the dygestive system, I don't feel that hungry anymore. Well, as long as it work, I will not ask myself questions. :)

marbleflys 06-26-2008 02:44 PM

You make me want to ressurect my Xenical prescription.....(that's the 120mg version) i kept refilling the pills because they were covered by my insurance and cost $5.00 a month...but I did not use them. I guess they are about 6-8 months old.

I was very successful with this drug when it first came out.....

I now have a few things working against me (age, menopause, Insulin resistance)....i really have to fight for every ounce i take off...makes me want to throw in the towel, even with my exercise routine.

keep me posted...thanks!

Slim81 06-26-2008 10:38 PM

Alli

I have used these pills and found them to work. I have heard many success stories from them. You will experience some bad side effects if you do not follow the diet plan, which is 15 grams of fat per meal.:D

aphil 06-27-2008 08:19 AM

Basically, alli will prevent your body from absorbing up to 1/4 of the fat that you eat, if you average 15 grams a meal.

Some of the cons to this, however...if you like math:

~If you eat a low fat diet, there are going to be many meals where you do not eat near the 15 fat gram mark. Let's say that you eat breakfast, and it has 8 grams of fat. If alli prevents you from absorbing 1/4 of that...then alli will make you excrete 2 grams of fat. 2 grams of fat equals 18 calories. (fat has 9 calories per gram.)

18 calories.

18 calories.

18 calories.

Let's say that you absolutely DO adhere to exactly 15 grams of fat per meal. That is 35 fat grams per day. If alli makes you excrete 1/4 of that, then alli would be removing 8.75 fat grams a day from your body.

That equals 78 calories.

78 calories a day removed by alli, and this is if you are eating the entire 15 grams of fat allowed per meal.

78 calories!

Now, since it takes 3500 less calories to lose a pound, this means that it would take 44 days of being perfectly on plan, for the alli to give you a pound extra of weight loss. (You would have already lost some weight though, from the calorie/fat controlled diet...not from the alli.)

So, you would essentially be paying $50 a month, to lose an extra pound every 44 days....

To me, it would be much cheaper (and healthier) to just eat 78 less calories a day, yes? No side effects, and no potential health risks!

:)

In my opinion, because of the mathematical facts...the reason that people are losing weight with alli is NOT because of the drug. They are losing weight because they are adhering to a reduce calorie, reduced fat diet! The alli is basically the "scare" keeping them on plan...they stay on plan to avoid the side effects with the bowels. It is their diet that is causing the weight loss...not so much the drug. Unless you count that 1 pound every 44 days....

full of grace 06-27-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphil (Post 2244311)
Basically, alli will prevent your body from absorbing up to 1/4 of the fat that you eat, if you average 15 grams a meal.

~If you eat a low fat diet, there are going to be many meals where you do not eat near the 15 fat gram mark. Let's say that you eat breakfast, and it has 8 grams of fat. If alli prevents you from absorbing 1/4 of that...then alli will make you excrete 2 grams of fat. 2 grams of fat equals 18 calories. (fat has 9 calories per gram.)

18 calories.

18 calories.

18 calories.

Let's say that you absolutely DO adhere to exactly 15 grams of fat per meal. That is 35 fat grams per day. If alli makes you excrete 1/4 of that, then alli would be removing 8.75 fat grams a day from your body.

That equals 78 calories.

78 calories a day removed by alli, and this is if you are eating the entire 15 grams of fat allowed per meal.

78 calories!

Now, since it takes 3500 less calories to lose a pound, this means that it would take 44 days of being perfectly on plan, for the alli to give you a pound extra of weight loss. (You would have already lost some weight though, from the calorie/fat controlled diet...not from the alli.)

So, you would essentially be paying $50 a month, to lose an extra pound every 44 days....

To me, it would be much cheaper (and healthier) to just eat 78 less calories a day, yes? No side effects, and no potential health risks!

In my opinion, because of the mathematical facts...the reason that people are losing weight with alli is NOT because of the drug. They are losing weight because they are adhering to a reduce calorie, reduced fat diet! The alli is basically the "scare" keeping them on plan...they stay on plan to avoid the side effects with the bowels. It is their diet that is causing the weight loss...not so much the drug. Unless you count that 1 pound every 44 days....

Loves me a good math problem!

This is wonderful, Aphil. So totally makes sense, when you put it this way!!

(I've not tried Alli, but I admit their currently-running ad campaign sure makes me consider it. Luckily, your post put it REALLY into perspective.)

:carrot:

onesullengurl 06-27-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphil (Post 2244311)

18 calories.

18 calories.

18 calories.

That equals 78 calories.

78 calories!

Thankyou for this ... It just confirms that I don't want to spend my summer money on it ... aside from which I've been dieting without it and learned A LOT since being on this forum and making this post ( I think my second post) ... and I no longer feel that way thank god) ... I cannot believe how much I've learned and changed my mindset about dieting in the 2 weeks or so I've been here ... I am SO thankful for that.

now for me it will be just eating healthy and exercise!!! no dieting ( although I must admit WW's still tempts me a tad bit :lol:)