Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Post The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group relating to the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thanks for getting us back on track Bill!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up We're Back, But Not All Of The Posts Are

All 3FC posts for the last 15 days are lost. This June thread is started today to begin anew after the lost posts.

Here's the story as posted by Meg:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
If you tried to check in today, you saw that the server was down. It crashed at 1:40 am. When Suzanne 3FC tried to restore it from the backup, she discovered that the daily backup was corrupted and unusable. Unfortunately, last night was the night when the weekly backup ran too, so its database was also corrupted and unusable.

So we're back, restored to May 22, the date of the last monthly backup. Everything posted since then is lost, I'm sorry to say.

Feel free to repost any threads, questions, comments, or discussions!

Read more here: Post or Account Missing?
And this is what is in the Global Announcement, Post or Account Missing?, by Suzanne 3FC in the link above:
Quote:
The bad news: We had a major server crash at 1:40am June 6. All 2 million posts were gone We tried everything possible to recover them, but it was impossible. The nightly backup had copied the corrupted database, so we had to resort to restoring with the most recent stable copy which was done on May 23.

The good news: We were able to recover everything through May 23

Unfortunately, this means that posts, profile changes, and new memberships made in the last 2 weeks are gone and they are gone forever.

We are extremely sorry that this has happened, but we are very relieved that we were able to save nearly 10 years worth of posts and memberships.

Hopefully we can look at this as a fresh start! Thanks for understanding, we greatly appreciate your support
Kudos to Suzanne 3FC for getting us back up and running.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I hope the "3 fatchicks" know how much we appreciate this wonderful site. It still amazes me that people from all over the planet can communicate here.

I did a little research on the plan OnebyOne wrote about " Carb Curfew ". Basically you eat no carbs after 5 pm. Please correct if I'm wrong but I believe you can still have fruit/vegetable as snacks. I think I'm going to add that idea into my food plan.

I saw my dietician again today. She said it may take some tweaking before I find a plan that works for me. The card plan didn't work out too well. It is really hard for me to plan detailed meals. For now she wants me to eat 3 meals a day with 1 evening snack. Why is this so hard for us??

I had lunch at the pub today with the girls. It was very difficult to keep track of different conversations at once. I finally had to leave. Too many things happening at once make me anxious. I had ordered fish and salad. I took it home and it was lunch and supper.

Camping was such a sanctuary ... no need to pretend to be ok. Anyways enough about me. How is everyone doing?? I do miss my computer when I'm away. One day at a time...
Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Wow, elkfordian, you have so much to congratulate yourself on -- kudos for working with a dietician to find a healthy way to lose weight and investigating a new "carb curfew" technique. And great food choices at a pub -- too bad you couldn't enjoy it there, but you turned it into two meals!

I also get overwhelmed in some situations. I'm glad you could make it out to the pub for a bit.

I haven't made much progress on the Beck daily exercises, but I have been staying OP food wise.

But, thanks to Beck, I am trying to plan for a low-calorie Father's Day get-together. The default get-together involves hanging out for hours with an infinite supply of cheeze puffs and KFC. I am going to advocate we all go to Appleby's, which has diet-friendly selections.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Clancy

Clancy

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined more than a year ago,

Your intro post was lost in the crash. Would you mind reposting it?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches – Still need to work on leaving food at a restaurant. Ate at a Mexican restaurant and didn't like the tamales - too dry and the pork was in chunks rather than shredded with its juices saturating the corn meal. Yet I ate most of it anyway. Oh Well. Note to self: Just Leave It On the Plate.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL, you slipped in your post while I was creating the initial pair. You're welcome.

Lori (elkfordian) - Thanks for the reminder that it's possible to burden a person who has a health issue with the extra load of making us feel OK about it. Kudos for making a wise choice at the pub. Ouch that could only stay for part of the time.

yoyoma - Kudos for planning a sane Father's Day celebration. LOL that your post reminds me that our goal is to transition from KFC to 3FC.

Clancy - Hope you find us again.

Readers [Due to the system crash, the quotes from the Beck Introduction will be repeated for two weeks. ]

"I now know:

• I have to prepare in advance for sabotaging thoughts." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-08-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #8  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

Bill~ you could always ask for a take-away box right away, and put 1/2 of your meal in that box?

I got over my very bad day last thursday. I didnt wallow in wine and marshmallows. I went to the market bought what I needed to make my chicken veggie soup. Then came home and made it. By the time I was done, it was close to 9pm...so I just toddled off to bed. Hoped that the next day would be better.

It was. I did my workout with my PT friday morning, and came away from there feeling much better.

Im off from the shop this weekend, hubby is going in to hold down the fort. Im not sure what I am going to do today....a bit of laundry, a bit of gardening, maybe even a bit of shopping. Regardless Im going to make sure I get out and enjoy the glorious sunshine

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches – Man's worst fear realized: A few days ago I had pondered that I could buy one of those complete closet organizers as a motivator for dealing with my unwieldy closet jammed with some-of-them-wearable clothes. I could - somewhere off in the distant future. Then yesterday POW. I opened my closet to get a shirt and found the 5 foot bar splintered and all my clothes wadded on the floor. Yipes. Visions of never being able to recover. I'm too young to face my closet problem.

The good news: Home Depot sold me a pine bar (I sorted through the bin long enough to find a straight one). Cut it to the exact length. Installed it. Carefully lifted the hangers from the floor to the new bar in minutes. All fixed without addressing which clothes were keepers. Good recovery of the immediate problem even while I avoided the real problem. CREDIT moi.

Except for the neck ties. I own waaaaaaaaaay too many - more than 200. Apparently I'm not prone to parting with them even after I abandon them. Found a motley collection from super narrow to '60's wide. From silk to hand woven out of hand spun wool. They weren't rehung, but are carefully bundled into a large cardboard box to be sorted. Just transferred the problem, but the bundling them makes it possible for me to solve it. How many neck ties does a man need to own?

Robin (RobinW) - Yea for chicken veggie soup. Kudos for your workout and Kudos for getting past a very bad day. Thanks for the reminder about using a "take-away box" immediately. Funny observation: when the food isn't to my liking, I'm driven to keep eating it to get the satisfaction I want. When the food is tasty, my head is available to think about saving half. Another argument for only eating food that I really want.

Readers – "I now know:

• I need to sit down and eat slowly and notice every bite – every time I eat." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Robin -- Wow -- chicken soup therapy for a bad day... what a super way to cope! Heck, it's great to have even for good days!

Bill -- Kudos to you for dealing with your closet emergency so adeptly -- and for recognizing that your solution is only a short-term patch! You might be interested in the book, "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" I have to admit I haven't read it yet, but I've had my eye on it. At this point, I think my reading it would be preaching to the choir, as one of the reasons I am busy is that I am desperately offloading carloads of stuff to consignment stores and charities.

Almost forgot to mention -- my plan for Applebee's is a "Go" and I've even already picked out my entree .

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-08-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #11  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

That is an interesting observation about restaurant food Bill. Funny things we have going on in our heads when we are faced with these things eh?! Terrible food in a restaurant I have no issue leaving, but then eat stuff Im not suppose to when I get home because I didnt like my dinner. Food I like alot in a restaurant, I have an extremely difficult time leaving for the take-away box. I want to gobble it all up.

Quote:
chicken soup therapy for a bad day
thats a pretty cool quote yoyoma!! Not only eating it, but making it soothed the soul a bit Great going on prepicking your entree before getting to applebees!! Thats a great idea! I love that alot of these restaurants have their menus online and I can make good decisions before I get there. Sometimes I'll tell hubby what Im going to have, and have him order it for me. Saves me from changing my mind and having what I shouldnt.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Bought some cherries!! They were on sale for $3.99lb (I never thought Id be excited about seeing $3.99lb as a sale price) I bought 2 lbs, washed them, and put my serving in a bowl! Rather than taking the entire bowl of cherries with me and eating them all. (which is past habits) Yah me!

Lets not talk about the can of boiled peanuts that dissappeared

In general tho, food wasnt too shabby yesterday.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #12  

Hurray!! finally found you all again-

right now taking a short break from the Beck structure-just plain celebrating-my Bro is doing excellent!,I turned 64 yrs yesterday, having a dinner party tonight and house guests for about the next 3-4 days. Feeling I'll maintain but not go crazy overeating but have no plan to lose weight- i agree that smaller amounts of well flavored food is more satisfying than flavorless things. cooking pork loin roast with fig sauce tonight,dessert- fresh strawberries, ect-not that caloric but so good

BillBlueeyes your tie set is an official collectable collection-Bet some young folks would lust after many of them. Purging is one hard activity for me-started going thru old books-then for the heck I google the titles and found on old atlas worth $350-that worth keeping-limiting what goes in my mouth and removing what is stored in my house-both very tough for me. Guess I am prone to storing unused materials from fat cell to uncompleted projects.

elkfordian-glad camping was so relaxing-that is why we live so rural-city and hubbub are great for a very short time-then it is too hectic.

RobinW yummy cherries-summer time has the best fruit. Your business sounds so busy and at time intense-enjoys your breaks

yoyoma-agree that is is nice when you can order at a resturante and know what the cals are are- This choice shows you are making progress on the Beck exercises.

take care
sue
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default summer tidings to my fellow Beckies

Oh, BillBE, rofl at the thought of you wrestling with 200 squirming neckties...probably due to the copious number of garder snakes I encountered today while gardening...still, too funny...way funnier than my screaching every time I saw a snake.

Hi to all...am happily catching up with my old friends and continue to be so pleased with our growing legions..

Happy summer.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - "Wasting away"

Diet Coaches – Watched the Red Sox play the Mariners at Fenway Park with only a partially formed food plan. Red Sox won; I lost a bit. Had loosely planned to eat a Fenway Frank, an apple, and a softie ice cream for lunch. Did that. But then dug into my kids kettle corn (popcorn fired at high temperature with salt and sugar infused), as well as some of their peanuts (like, aren't you supposed to eat peanuts at a ball game?). Not way out of bounds, but I could feel that I was eating in my old mode - grazing on everything in sight. I lightened up on dinner as a step to balance the calories; that part is easy enough. But, I'm not so pleased that I'm so easily capable of falling into the place where I feel like I'm eating out of control. Oh Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - LOL at "am prone to storing unused materials from fat cell to uncompleted projects." Happy Birthday. Turning 64 is a good omen per the lyrics of the last verse of that well known song about dieting:
Quote:
Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?
MaryBlu - LOL at your image of my ties as snakes. Now I'll think of myself as Saint Patrick driving the snakes out of my closet. Hope all is going well for you.

Robin (RobinW) - Interesting notes about your reaction to good and terrible food at a restaurant. Kudos for serving yourself cherries rather than dipping into the full 2 pound bowl.

yoyoma - Yeah for your Father's Day plan for Applebee's. Kudos for planning your order in advance. Thanks for the book tip; it drove me to Amazon where I ordered two books on getting organized, and I put "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat" on my shopping list.

Readers – "I now know:

• If I eat something I shouldn’t, it’s just a mistake. It doesn’t mean I’m hopeless or bad. I don’t have to make it a bigger mistake by continuing to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day." From the Introduction, Beck, pg 13.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #15  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

morning everyone! what a weekend. i took friday off to work on the dayton house (it's in really appalling shape from 18 months of DH using it as a commercial storage site for his antenna work). saturday we had yet another wedding, got back to cincinnati very late and woke up early to the sound of DS coughing. sunday was more work (i moved a whole woodpile by myself. credit moi!) and then to the last 2 innings of a baseball game, then home to clean up the wreckage from discovering that one of our two cats is seriously pissed (both meanings) at me, or us, or something. we don't know which one, which is good for whomever it was, because DH was prepared to wring a kitty neck. had to sleep upstairs in the attic - HOT! i kept waking up. i think i was worried that i wouldn't hear DS in his slightly ill state. so now it's monday morning and i'm absolutely exhausted. i've got some baking to do tonight for a tasting on wednesday. argh. does anyone know how to get a cat to stop peeing? we have no idea why they would be mad, but it's clearly personal.

had an interesting eating experience at the wedding. i ate lightly during the day to make sure i had the calories allowance for cake and appetizers, and i did a good job of paying attention to my hunger (although i did eat standing up during the cocktail hour. i was really hungry, it was time to eat, and there was absolutely nowhere to sit.) for the first time in recent memory (or maybe for the first time since i've been good an honest about keeping a food journal) i found that i was overdid it on alcohol calories. i didn't get drunk, but since i normally don't drink at all i wasn't counting alcohol calories in with my meal. thus i ended up taking in about 600 calories extra. whoo, that's a lot! i'm not going to worry about it too much, since it's something i hardly ever do (can't honestly claim that i got fat on vodka cranberries and champagne!) but it's definitely something to stay aware of. i'm also realizing just how much my body likes to hold on to water weight. i was waay under yesterday (partly due to circumstance, partly to recover from saturday) but some of that food was sushi with soy sauce, and i was up a good 3.5 lbs this morning. wow. it's kind of a bummer because i was just starting to lose the water weight from TOM. oh well! back to the gym. with the heat and humidity i'm doing a lot of sweating.

nice to hear from you, maryblu! and bill, good luck with all those ties. i really believe there's a connection between overeating and keeping too much stuff in my house. i'm going to add a third leg - overspending. i find shopping and acquiring has a similar vibe to it. indefinitely postponing buying something i want but don't need (shoes, electronics, whatever) feels like strengthening my "saying no" muscle in a healthy way. sounds like robin and the cherries! wonderful! i'm always happy when cherries come back into season.

happy birthday sue! so glad to hear your brother is doing better. that's fabulous.

take care all - hoping to get some rest soon. cheers!
Closed Thread