Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default So obviously nothing is working for me :(

I'm thinking that maybe dieting isn't right for me. It just doesn't fit with my lifestyle. Having to buy groceries with my own money because my mom doesn't have healthy food just is getting increasingly frustrating. Today I stepped on the scale and I weighed 162.3 pounds. I am always so upset hen I tip over 160 pounds. I was thinking of maybe going on my own plan. I'm trying to find something that's sane enough to fit in with my life Obviously other diets just have me doing way too much work and it's just a lot of stress worrying about what I can and cannot eat which causes me to cheat.

I've had to make myself "alternative dinners" at dinner time because what my mom was cooking wasn't allowed, and the salads I brought to school were always smelly and tasted disgusting from being in my locker for 5 hours.

I did well all week but I cheated big time yesterday because I was so upset that all my efforts were just causing me to gain weight, that before I knew it, food was being down my throat. I’m not really a big stress eater too so I definitely don't want to act like that again. I'm mostly eat when I’m bored which is a habit I'm slowly starting to break away from. I'm trying to stop that

Today my period came so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with me eating like a hungry cow yesterday.

Anyway I came up with my own meal plan so I wanted to know what you guys think and if it would work.

Breakfast will be oatmeal or cereal with a piece of toast and peanut butter every day.

Lunch will either be a sandwich wrap or a regular sandwich with sun chips, a cheese stick, and some carrots.

Snack- will be nuts or peanut butter on toast with a glass of skim milk

I will skip dinner for the first week but after that. Dinner will just be protein and vegetables.

At least something like this is something I KNOW I won't cheat on because it's food I want to eat anyway.

I really hope this works out. I've been exercising almost 4-5 days a week for an hour to two hours a day but I still seem to be gaining. I just hope I can figure all of this out because it's just starting to become depressing how this is getting out of control.

Bleh

(Plus I've been kind of trying to throw up my food so I definitely don't want another eating disorder again. & Yeserday I had this moment where I wanted to go out and buy diet pills. I just want to lose a few pounds.

Sorry if im getting annoying on here. I'm annoyed with myself LOL

bell rung gottah go
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

It sounds good to me! I think it is really important to find something that fits into your life, because this weight you want to lose is for life not temporary. Though I find that alot of people find counting calories really helpful... its not a diet but maybe something you can look into.

I really hope you find the right route for you, good luck!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #3  

You might try intuitive eating. A good book about that is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens which can be downloaded for free on his Thintuition.com website.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #4  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I like your menu, except for eating peanut butter twice a day or even having peanut butter and nuts, that is to much IMO.
I also think you need to add some more protein at dinner, I wouldn't skip! Skipping is setting your metabolism up for slowing down and none wants that.

So try to get some kind of protein, even if it is just a bowl of Special K w/ protein and a 1/2 C skim milk.

That is my take on your plan. But I sure think it can work for you.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #5  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

If it were me, I'd cut back some on cereal and bread (those carbs really make it hard for me to lose weight), and also, you might want to add 2 fruits a day. Have oatmeal or cereal, but don't add a piece of toast, add a piece of fruit instead perhaps.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried calorie counting? Its the only thing that works for me because I can eat whatever I want - just in limited portions. I also don't think skipping dinners is a good idea. Look around on this website at the people who have made their goals - their stories are inspiring! Most of them eat 4-6 meals a day.

Just keep trying! You will find something that works for you!
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i'd not skip dinner
i'd cut back on the nuts or peanut butter
i'd not have bread AND cereal (or oatmeal) at breakfast one or the other

and up your protein
and where is your fruit?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yep . . . I agree too . . . back off on the starch a little; watch out for the peanut butter, you have to keep those portions of nuts and nut butters in control. Eat some more fruit (apples travel very well) and take carrot sticks and celery sticks to school with you, they can probably survive the locker time. Skipping Dinner for the first week is not one of your better ideas, Chickie . . . . . . Good Luck to you.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #9  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I'd be cautious of two servings of peanut butter in a day - that's 400 calories
I'd say you are looking at being a calorie counter and should check out either thedailyplate.com or fitday, I prefer TDP.
Figure out how many calories you can take in a day, set up a range, then eat within that.
I'm a fan of carbs, so I say eat a reasonable amount, especially if you are working out. I like carbs because I focus on a high fiber diet, low sodium and the weight has literally fallen off me that way.
You do need to try to get a reasonable amount of protein in your diet - of course, I'd not recommend skipping dinner this week, but it's your life....

Good Luck!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #10  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

First and foremost, if you're seriously struggling with purging, please just forget about tweaking your plan and restricting more, and focus on your health and well-being for a while. That is not the direction you want things to go.

Otherwise: why are you planning to skip dinner for a week?! A lean protein with vegetables sounds fine!

Also: Like the others said, be careful with the PB. If you get rid of just ONE serving, you can replace it with an apple, a banana, and some strawberries! Do you have access to fresh fruit? If not, how about dried fruit...in limited quantities, because the calories can add up.

Maybe, have your wrap at lunch with the carrots on the side, get rid of the chips, and have your cheese stick and some fruit as a snack instead of the extra PB and toast? And then EAT DINNER?

I hear that you're struggling. Take good care of yourself!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
i'd not skip dinner
i'd cut back on the nuts or peanut butter
i'd not have bread AND cereal (or oatmeal) at breakfast one or the other

and up your protein
and where is your fruit?
Thanks. Well I'm not really a big protein eater. That's why I eat nuts. Sometimes I go days where I behave like a vegetarian and I don't even notice until a few days later. I only eat a lot of protein when I'm trying to do a diet.

I'm trying to look at the way I normally eat, and tweak it so that I lose weight. I can always take a multivitamin every day if I need the vitamins and minerals. I could get rid of the toast in the morning I suppose. I like dipping it in my coffee.

And I rarely have fruit in the house, so I can eat it if it's there. They sale some at my school for .50. So I guess one serving a day.

I could cut down on peanut butter and have it afterschool as a snack with toast.

so

B/f- oatmeal/cereal/bread with cofee
lunch- sandwhich/wrap with fruit and milk
snack- pb sandwich (1 toast)
dinner if im hungry.

Even if it's not gungho nutritious, as long as it's something that i can lose weight with and stick to. I'll do it. Obviously it's a better change. I can always take a vitamin each day or maybe some ensure at night in place of a snack.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Couple of thoughts for you:

Quote:
Thanks. Well I'm not really a big protein eater. That's why I eat nuts. Sometimes I go days where I behave like a vegetarian
Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with not eating protein. EVERYONE needs protein, even veggies. They just get it from different sources. Protein is especially important when you're trying to lose weight for a couple of reasons: It helps you feel full for longer and it provides nutrition for muscles (extremely important if you're working out). Do NOT confuse being veggie with not needing protein.

Good sources of veggie protein include nuts, of course, as well as beans and legumes, dairy and eggs, grains like quinoa and barley, and soy products (tofus, edamame, etc.).

Quote:
I can always take a multivitamin every day if I need the vitamins and minerals.
Vitamins are great for filling in nutritional holes, but they cannot substitute for real live nutrients from real live food. There are ways that vitamins and minerals interact in the body that cannot be duplicated in a pill. If it could, heck, we'd probably all just live off of pills.

Quote:
B/f- oatmeal/cereal/bread with cofee
lunch- sandwhich/wrap with fruit and milk
snack- pb sandwich (1 toast)
dinner if im hungry.
This looks very low in calories and nutrients and the "if I'm hungry" part simply isn't good for you. Obviously, yes, it's a START. But it's a start that can be tweaked.

Add a piece of fruit to your breakfast. You can buy bags of frozen fruit at the grocery store - strawberries, blueberries, mixed berries, peaches, etc. They're not expensive and they last forevre. Mix in a serving of fruit with your cereal in the morning or your oatmeal.

And EAT DINNER. If you don't eat anything after your lunch snack, then you'll wake up in the morning starving. It sets a bad start to the day.

You're getting there, but keep tweaking and don't not eat.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #13  

^yeah I guess it's best if I eat dinner, especially since I'm working out every afternooon/morning..

I'm going to eat a lot of vegetables at dinner time. Probably 3 servings because I don't eat much during the day. And I have some fish in the freezer that I could eat with is. Why is fruit so important? Idk, a lot of people on here barely touch it because of the sugar content so this is different. I know they are good for you though so I'll try to add more if I can.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Why is fruit so important? Idk, a lot of people on here barely touch it because of the sugar content so this is different
Hm. I'm not sure where you get that people here barely touch fruit. I don't find that to be true, really. One thing that you have to keep in mind is that fruit *is* higher in calories than veggies and so you can't eat as much fruit as you can veggies ... but they're not to be avoided. And fruit is important for nutrients, just like veggies, grains, and proteins.

An orange or an apple or a 1/2 a grapefruit is a great snack. Bananas have more calories in them, so you can't gorge on them, but they're chock full of potassium and vitamin D - a really excellent choice for a pre-workout snack. Blueberries are maybe some of the best fruits - full of anti-oxidants and fiber and vitamins ... good stuff there. Throw a handful of them into your morning oatmeal or yogurt.

Don't knock fruit - it's yummy and good for you.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #15  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

SL - why is it that your mom doesn't buy more nutrious foods and that you have to buy this stuff on your own? Aren't you still in high school and living at home? Isn't your mom buying food for the entire family? Why would she not purchase some things like salad, veggies, fruits, etc.? Have you asked your mom? Myabe instead of buying a bag of chips or cookies or whatever -- that you're not eating anyway -- she can buy healthier foods?

Your menu looks --- just ok to me. Have to echo what others have said but also, if these are the only foods you are going to eat you will burn out on them in no time and just end up eating things you shouldn't. Variety goes a long way in keeping me on track. If I eat the same handful of things over and over I just end up saying 'bleh' and that just leads to trouble. Oh and DON'T skip meals -- AT ALL. You will only end up hungrier and will not be able to control yourself. By eating frequently and by eating some good carbs w/protein every few hours you will keep your blood sugar levels even and won't go on that 'roller coaster' of highs and lows. Eat your dinner!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 05-16-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote