Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #1  

Default Are the Franchise LAWL Closing NOW??

I am in Memphis, TN....

Went to my COD last Thursday only to find a note on the door saying
"We are now closed on Thursdays"...That is my usual weigh-in days.

I talked with my counselor today and she said that sales were really slow and they got a memo from their corporate telling them to close on Thursdays to "save payroll", but to tell the clients that it was due to being understaffed.

There is also a note up saying "limit 2 boxes of bars per week from your bulk". That has never been posted before.

My store was a franchise, the owner had them for about 8 years. He went bankrupt last fall. The corporate offices (LA Weight Loss Franchise Companies) took these centers back over because they did not want to leave the Memphis market thinking they could re-sell them.

This has me worried as it is about time for me to buy more time on program.

They only thing I have noticed is they are running more commercials now than ever....so do you think that is a good sign they are not closing? I can tell the staff is nervous.

Anyone else's centers now closing on Thursdays????
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #2  

After posting this message, I googled about LA Weight Loss Centers Closing. This is what I found...What do you guys think????

"As a current employee of LA Weight Loss Franchise Company, I feel it is my duty to warn consumers that you absolutely DO NOT want to waste your money because the company will be CLOSING it DOORS!! As of Friday, we were told, like the employees of Pure Weight Loss, that the company is having financial trouble and will be restructuring. I was one of the lucky ones who did not yet lose their job. They have closed many franchises and will continue to close them. If Harold Kartz (the owner) shuts down, then the franchise owners will have no support or supplies to offer their clients. You do the math. it is so sad that I have worked for this company for 6 years, to see how things have transpired makes me sick. Due to the lack of empathy that this company shows its employees and clients, I cannot continue to be part of it and will be submitting my resignation tomorrow. I just wanted everyone to beware before spending your money on their program. This company is CLOSING its doors soon."
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the increase in commercials, shows that the company is trying to bring in more business (because they want or need to make more money). My guess is that even if LA had been doing ok prior to the Pure Weight Loss bankruptcy, the Pure Weight Loss closings shook customer confidence in LA as well. The number of new customers probably declined sharply, and even many current customers may have "jumped ship" out of fear.

Can LAWL survive the bad press from PWL's collapse? That depends, but I'm guessing it will be very difficult, because of the strong association the companies had in the general public's minds (primarily because of the name change coming so recently before the bankruptcy/closings).
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #4  
Katy66

Yikes, I had ordered my remaining bars last week and will be picking them up TODAY!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

OMG this will make me so mad. I signed up for 2 years just this last January!!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #6  
LAWL Salt Police

Ok...

A couple of things to consider.. Just because one franchise has started cutting hours and the availability of product, doesn't mean they are all doomed...

Rita, while that post you copied from another site looks really bad, do we have any way of knowing who that person really is? It could be that they are a disgruntled LAWL employee or even just a client who didn't have a good experience and is trying to cause trouble.. The fact is we don't know..

My franchise centers closed and it started the same way.. reduced hours, lots of ads on TV and radio...

My advice is to speak to a counselor you trust and see what they know.. HOWEVER.. My counselors here had NO clue the place was shutting down in New Mexico until the day before when they were told they were being let go.

Just trying to avoid a panic here....

Last edited by Dan2112; 03-11-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

The Portland area TV stations are being saturated with LAWL ads, and I imagine they are not cheap. I am home during the day (work at night) and see tons of ads. Last week the special changed and this week it changed again. They were advertising the Control Trim trial program for 6 weeks and this week it switched to "lose all the weight you want" for $199.

Like Dan said, I would not panic but be a smart consumer. I would not invest a whole lot of money in a long term plan or pay ahead to purchase a lot of products. Just me, but I want to make sure I get a return on my investment.

Roberta

Last edited by shshshhh; 03-13-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: corrected my spelling :)
Old 03-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #8  

Talked to my center today. They are closing, she said it was not public knowledge. She said by April they would be gone. My particular center is managed by LAWL Franchise Companies---That is the parent company of LA Weight Loss, but seperate from PURE Weight Loss.

I am going to demand all my bars. I can't believe they are still running ads!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #9  

I think the ads are a last ditch effort to survive. It isn't uncommon for a dying company to spend tons of money on advertising hoping that it will bring in enough new business to save their behinds from the fire. It would be one thing for a company that sells tangible products like shoes, because people would see the ad, pay their money AND get their shoes in the same transaction. However companies that sell services, particularly long-term contract services like diet centers, health clubs, gyms... It just doesn't seem right that they can take your money, promising you years of service up 'til the very day they close the doors.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #10  

I spoke with the Assistant Manager at my center---they never replaced the Center Manager after she left in November.....HHhhhmmm....

She said that the franchise company is really hurting by all the bad press, and the closure of the 400 centers earlier this year. She said it costs them much more to manufacture products because they are not selling the volume like before. She said because the franchise company gets 6% of their sales, if there sales decline so does the parent company.

She said they cant sell any new franchises because of so much bad press and so they cant grow revenue.

Her boss told her yesterday that there would be no more parent company for LAWL and most of the centers would go independent or rebrand to somehing like Diet Center, Physicians Weight Loss, Results Weight Loss, Slim4Life, etc..
or close all together.

Anyone that is "bulked" get your bars this week!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

I "graduated" from LAWL, but I feel so badly for all of you who are on the program! It's just amazing that such a great program can be going down the tubes because of such bad management. I encourage everyone to follow the program on their own if need be-it really does work and you will feel so awesome when you reach goal and be able to maintain it! This really is about a lifestyle change....
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #12  
LAWL Salt Police

Wow.. That really sucks Rita.. Thanks for sharing the info.. I would encourage other members to start asking around and to start hoarding lites!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #13  

Another suggestion for those that will have to, or want to do the program on their own. If you feel you need the accountability of weekly weigh-ins, or would benefit from group support, I can strongly recommend TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly). It's a non-profit organization with weekly meetings, and members can follow any food plan they wish to (the endorsed plan in the optional manual - you can usually borrow it before deciding if you want to buy it - is an exchange based diet that should be very compatible with the LAWL program).

TOPS is $24 per year for national dues ($36 for couples) and includes a monthly magazine. Local dues are generally under $5 per month. My husband and I joined in August, and our monthly dues are $3 per month each. Each group is run independently and determined by membership voting. So if you don't like how one group is run, you might want to try another meeting in your area if there is one, or become active in the group and campaign for changes. Our group charges 10 cent per pound fine weekly for gains. If the total gains for the week are larger than the total losses (what we call a group gain) then the next week the fines are doubled. We also do double fines the meeting after a holiday. At roll call we say whether we've lost, gained or maintained (but not how much unless we want to) and slip our fine money into a little basket we pass. The person who loses the most that week takes that money home. If you're biggest loser two weeks in a row, you get a little $5 door prize and you buy the next door prize (and the club reimburses you the $5). If you lose 10 lbs, or lose 3 weeks during a month, you get to choose either free monthly dues or order a charm or pin.

TOPS also sponsors retreats, recognition days, conferences... Attendance is always optional, so how much you want to participate in really is up to you.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

So for those of us who have the LAWL information and want to stick with that program, if our centers close, we could join TOPS and not have to invest a lot of money and follow the LAWL program? I need someone weighing me in once a week. Silly, I know, I am an adult, but I need to do that for accountability.

Would that work?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #15  

shshshhh,

Yes, exactly. About half of our current members are former Weight Watcher's and still use the point system. I'm restricting carbs, but count calories and exchanges for portion control (Even on a low carb plan, I can easily overeat if I don't control amount in some way), and I couldn't really tell you what the rest of the group does, because they haven't discussed it. So you don't even have to tell the group which plan you're following. The group does require a goal weight slip from your doctor, but many groups are really lenient about when it's required. For example, our group is really lax. You have to have it before you can declare that you've reached goal. I had my doctor write mine right away because I wanted it "on-record" for motivation.

It was really interesting, because when my doctor asked what I thought a good goal weight would be for me, I suggested 200 lbs. He asked me to rethink it, and I said, well I'd like to get there before I decided to try and go lower, and he said he meant the other direction (he didn't want me to be discouraged if I couldn't reach goal). So my official TOPS goal is 250 lbs. That seems like a lot, but it isn't written in stone, I can have the doctor write a new goal slip at any time.

In TOPS, once you reach goal, you're considered a KOPS (Keeping off pounds sensibly). KOPS members have to weigh in once a month, I believe to be eligible for contests, prizes and such. Many groups do not charge KOPS monthly dues as long as they're weighing in once a month and are within leeway (I think it's 5 lbs in either direction, unless your doctors slip says otherwise). I've been in groups that even paid national dues for KOPS members.

Needing accountability isn't anything to be ashamed of. Even studies of people in work environments show that most people work harder and accomplish more if they are directly supervised or otherwise have to make an accounting of their time, work, or progress in some way. Left to their own devices with no outside feedback, people naturally tend to slack off a bit.

Truly self-motivated people are actually quite rare. We're social critters, and there's nothing wrong with using that to our advantage. It's definitely true for me. The minute I decide that "I can do this on my own," is the minute I start to fail. Because without the weekly weigh-ins, and looking someone in the eye when I say that I maintained or gained, I tend to "just this once" myself into eating carelessly.

The social aspect is a lot more powerful than I would have expected. The games seemed a little "lame" at first, but I've really gotten into them. Last meeting, the leader handed out "Chapter Merit Certificates" for 2007, and I won 1st place in division 1 (my "weight" class) for the women, and my husband won second place in division 1 for the men. It's funny, but I'm really proud of that slip of paper.

Our biggest loser for our chapter for 2007 is a man who has lost 50 lbs. He's going to a recognition event in April for our state to receive an award, and his name will appear in the monthly newsletter. He also said how he never expected to be so excited about the "fuss" being made.

I've been asked to run for co-leader of our group, and I think I'm going to do it. I think it will be a powerful motivation for me to do well, because I'd hate to be the leader of a weight loss group and lose the least amount of weight. Does it sound silly? Sort of, I guess. But, it's better to work with my silly mind than against it, right?

We're planning a "dirty sneaker" contest in a few weeks. Basically, it's an honor contest. Everyone who wants to participate will contribute $1.00 (once at the beginning of the contest). Then each week, for every day you exercised at least 20 minutes, you get to sign a slip of paper with a sneaker sticker on it, and put it into a can. After 6 or 8 weeks, they draw from the can, and the winner gets the start-up money. If all of the "regulars" participate like they did last year, the winner will take home about $15.

All these little games and prizes and such seemed a little dorky to me when I started. I thought "I'm here for the weigh-in, and that's all," but it's become more than that. I've made some very good friends, just like here on this site. And "we're in this together," really does help me. Also, since our chapter also competes, at least indirectly, with all of the other chapters, I want to lose weight not only for me, but for my chapter.

It's not like there's any pressure to lose weight FOR the chapter, but it's kind of cool when you get recognition at an event or through a letter to the chapter, because your chapter met a state-wide or nation-wide weight loss goal. For example, for this year, either state or nation-wide (I forget which) we've been given a group goal of a 10 lbs loss for each member (who still has 10 lbs or more to lose before reaching goal). There's no money or prize attached (other than our chapter maybe recognized by name at an event or in the newsletter), but it would be cool if our chapter makes it, and I'd feel bad if I was the only person who prevented our chapter from making it.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-11-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Closed Thread