Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1"

Question Please share how you COPE with food cravings

Can anyone share some ways how they beat "The Craving Monster"

There are times when I get cravings for something that is not on the plan. Most of the things I think about eating are not healthy at all and would set anyone back who has been doing well.

Example: Last night I was watching television (I was not watching anything about food ) and got this huge craving for something off plan. I wasn't hungry because I just ate. It was so strong that I got up and went to the refrigerator. I saw lots oof on Plan foods but way in the back I saw pizza from last week wrapped up. I was about to warm it up even though I was questioning whether it was still good from last week. All of a sudden I threw it in the garbage and ran in the room, grabbed a piece of sugar-free gum and began to chew like crazy. Then once chewing hard enough and for many times the desire for the food ended.

I have been so unsuccessful in the past with talking myself out of eating something. That any advice would be appreciated.
kennedy5672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 284

Height: 5'7

There's a couple of things you could try when you have a bad craving:

1) drink loads of water
2) go for a walk or jog
3) buy diet variations of what it is you crave normally and snack on that when you have to have it... ex: Michelina's has a diet thin crust pizza that's not bad
4) Only have a bite of what it is you're craving then do either #1 or #2 so that you don't eat more
5) keep some yummy diet snacks around for quick munch attacks
6) meditate (sounds ridiculous for cravings, I know - but if you get one of those guided meditation/weight-loss tapes it really does help)

Hopefully one of those will help you kick your cravings... If you think of any more,let me know because cravings is one of my vices too.

Good Luck!
~Jacki
jacki0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #3  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacki0486 View Post
4) Only have a bite of what it is you're craving then do either #1 or #2 so that you don't eat more
I like the rest of the ideas, but #4 would NEVER work for me! If I'm having strong cravings and feel like I'm in danger of a binge, I can't have even one bite of a triggering food. If you can, I admire your willpower!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  

Smile

Thank you "Jacki0486" for your ideas. The meditation idea has never crossed my mind and is worth a shot. I will look into what is out there that I can purchase and copy onto my mp3 player. Do you have any suggestions? I am sure there are so many kinds out there just like fitness videos and diet plans. I love music but I guess with someone talking would be more helpful.

"3Beans" I know what you mean. I might have a hard time to with just taking one bite of something. My brain does not comprehend moderation, it understands elimination. Some people at work talk about other plans that they are on that have worked for them real well. They tell me that they can have anything as long as it follows into their point category system or something like that. God Bless em' and more power to em. I have a hard time understanding the fact that I can have one of something or a handful of something. That is why I chose the LAWL program because it is the only thing that I have found that is perfect for me.

Have you guys ever had dreams in where you ate something that was off plan and felt so guilty in your dream about eating something you were not supposed to. Then wake up and be happy because it was only a dream.
Forget about calling this a dream, it's a nightmare. - HA, HA, HA
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/205/160

Height: 5'10

I tend to crave on program foods - and over eat them. Peanut Butter is a big one for me, once this jar is gone I am not buying another. It's a huge downfall. - a spoon here, a spoon there...and next thing you know I've probably added 300-400 calories to my day.
Last night..I had a little binge on 100 calorie packs, I figured an extra 100 calories won't' effect me..but I'm sure in the long run it does.
anyways, I feel your pain and am trying to stick to my allowed portions. I am making a lot of exuses or myself right now...I worked out, so I can eat more - is number one right now.

Good luck with your cravings, taking your mind off something is good. Also, if its not in the house, it takes a lot more energy to go and get it.

Sarah
Livingmybestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #6  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Kennedy, I had to reply about the dream... I had a dream last night that I was on a cruise ship and went all over the ship just eating. At one point in the dream, I was at a sushi bar (haven't had sushi since starting WW Core last fall). So yes, I was happy when I woke up and it was just a dream. But that I realized I had to go grocery shopping for on plan food...
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #7  

Smile

"Livingmybestlife" I know what you mean about overeating "ON PLAN" foods. I love peanut butter too so much that I don't use it because I know I will go to town on the whole jar. I love condiments too I try to stay away from them all together because I would use them every chance I get.

"Thebabies" thank you for responding to that part about the dream. It can be so nerve racking. I feel that I dream these things more and more when I follow the plan to the "T" and when I have lost a considerable amount of weight.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #8  
LAWL Salt Police

Ok..

First things first.. Kennedy.. You are to be aplauded for your reaction to the pizza.. You did the right thing.. The problem is that you should have done it sooner...

The only way for this to work is to GET THE CRAPPY FOOD OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!.. Don't care if your family complains... If they care about you getting healthy, they will cope with your new lifestyle..

Ok.. That stuff out of the way...

Now.. Seize upon how good it felt to NOT give in to the pizza... You WON!!! There's a step taken with every "one little victory" (also the name of a great Rush song, btw)...

3beans is right.. most of us can't just nibble at a trigger food.. I'm REALLY bad at that.. I just avoid them all the best I can..

I've been off the diet phase of the plan for a while now.. I hit my goal and with that, my body has adjusted to be able to deal with the minor indescretions from time to time.. However YOU HAVE NOT.. You must win the mental struggle over these cravings.. You have to convince yourself that a few moments of pleasure in the mouth is NOT WORTH DYING FOR, much less slowing down the weight loss process..

Does that sound drastic and morbid? Maybe.. But you know what? That was the choice I had to make.. It wasn't just about losing weight in time for my 20th highschool reunion.. It was about being here with my family for another 50 years or so... It's about not having diabeties.. Not having a heart attack.. Not having the energy to run with my kids...

Every time you give in the the monster, you prolong your weightloss goals..

You have to convince yourself that you CAN do it and that you WILL succeed.. It's not about willpower. It's about logic.. life or death..

Sorry I'm being preachy and dramatic, but frankly, I need a kick in the butt right now, and this is as much self-affirmation as it is giving you advice..

Great job on fighting back the monster... Keep it up and you will make yourself and your family proud!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #9  

Smile

Thanks "Dan2112". You are right I am pretty proud of myself. Also, I don't consider you being preachy or dramatic you are telling it like it is and one can just say thank you for just saying it.

Today I asked my mom "How big are those giant dog food bags?" she asked me "Why are you planning to incorporate dog food in your diet?" I told her that in about a month or so I am going to buy one and just keep it in the closet (please note that I do not have any pets). She looked at me as if I was losing it and I told her that I was going to keep this heavy bag as a reminder of how much weight I lost or a reminder of how much extra weight I have been carrying around with me for all these years and when I get that craving to go off plan to eat something I am not supposed to I will drag this bag out and try to carry with me around the house until I get tired. That I think might be a good tactic in making me realize it is just not worth it.

Yes - I am one strange person - but I love me anyway (ha, ha, ha)
Old 03-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #10  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Kennedy- love the dog food idea. That is so awesome.

Food cravings. I don't usually binge (except on sugary cereal, they are my weakness.) So, I really have to weigh how much I am actually craving something. I give myself an hour and distract myself- drink water, work out, play a game, anything. If, after that hour, I am still craving it, I will eat some of whatever I am craving (assuming it is in the house). However, I have found that 80% of the time, I am not craving it after that hour of distraction. The way I see it, if my body still wants it after an hour, it must be telling me it wants it for a reason. Example, I had a day last week where I thought of nothing but olive oil all day. so random. Because I couldn't shake it (it lasted all through every one of my classes and the drive home) I poured 2 teaspoons of it out on a plate, seasoned it, and dipped a single slice of 7 grain bread in it. My body felt so much better after that-I think it was telling me I needed to eat more healthy fats. I have been incorporating more of those fats daily now, and I haven't had a craving since. A little bit of intuitive eating I suppose.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #11  

Smile

"LittleMoonRabbit" - Isn't the dog food idea funny...It just might work though...

Thank goodness Olive Oil is on the plan and you used it with moderation (Congratulations) compared to eating something else that was OFF plan.

My 11 year old son and I were watching television and there are quite a few reality series on people who are in Rehab or their family members are trying to get them there. My son turned to me at a commercial and said "Mom do they have a rehab for someone who is addicted to food". I looked at him with a blank stare. He must of associated people's excessive eating as an addiction. It was quite interesting to hear his point of view.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #12  
LAWL Salt Police

I love the dog food idea! Just make sure you get the kind someone in your family can use after you're done with it, so it's not a waste of money!

I equate that to the physical agility test I have to take every year to maintain my wildland firefighter certification. We have to carry a 45 lb pack, three miles in 45 minutes.. Last year, at pack test time, I had lost about 50 lbs, and it was amazing the difference.. It was like just being at my old weight without the pack.. Amazing how heavy that was.

MoonRabbit.. I LOVE the avatar.. Sorry.. Just had to put in my "typical guy perspective"..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #13  

My weakness lately has been Peanut Butter also. I did not have this problem before while I was losing weight. I have lost 50lbs and wonder if my body is not adjusted to the new set point and maybe tries to rebound higher. I have actually gained 9lbs back because of this peanut butter thing. Hmmm
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

When I have a craving, I use the white strips on my teeth. I kill 2 birds with one stone. Avoid my craving and get whiter teeth at the same time. Whiter teeth to go with my slimmer body.

Peanut butter is my weakness too.
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/243/150

Height: 5"6'

Jacki, those are great ideas. I will have to try some of them. I get cravings quite a bit.

Dan, thanks for reminding us to stay focused. We have to remember what our bodies will do with what we eat and always think about what we're putting in our mouths.
joylove26 is offline   Reply With Quote