Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #1  
Susan-Marie

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5'3&3/4"

Default Low Carb Diets???

Can anyone recommend a low carb diet? I am already on a calorie reduced diet but would like to reduce my carbs too.

Thanks!!

Soozee
soozeebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I think it depends on what you're looking for in a low carb diet. If you're looking for the benefit of a ketogenic state, go for something on the "very low carb" side and do Atkins. This is best if you think that a diet consisting mostly of vegetables, meat, healthy fats and cheese, etc.--eventually adding in lower G.I. fruit (berries), legumes and beans and (depending) some fibrous whole-grain products is for you.

South Beach and The Zone are both also fairly low carb, and have different approaches. All diet plans work, and all low carb plans work--the key is "can I stick to this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, then it's not for you.

If all you want to do is reduce your carbohydrate intake, then I'd cut out sugar (and sugar-like things such as honey and fruit juice) and refined carbohydrates (most bread and pasta). Instead, I would eat a lot more fibrous non-starchy veggies and fibrous fruit. There are variations of how low carb you go--all the way from a ketogenic diet (0-30g carbs per day) to up to 40% of calories from carbs is considered "lower carb" than the typical American diet.

Last edited by Azure; 02-27-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I second everything Azure said. I'd like to add that all carbs are not evil--BAD (refined/processed) carbs are the evil ones Things like fruit, legumes, 100% whole grain products, and vegetables are part of a very healthy diet that will still promote weight loss.

That said, I am currently on South Beach. It focuses on good carbs and good fats (unsaturated fats). After a 2-week induction phase, fruits and whole grains can be added back into your plan daily.

I'd suggest a trip to the library or a big book store where you can sit and read about the different carb-conscious plans and decide which one would best fit your lifestyle

Last edited by jillybean720; 02-27-2008 at 06:33 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb I have to quote something I heard the other day.....

when someone was asked (not on here or I would have cited who said it) what South Beach Diet is:

It's just not low crap...."

Actually, and quite simply, it is lots of really good and good for you food with restricted good carbs.

Maybe, people think it is low carbs because you aren't eating 4 dinner rolls with every meal or having a huge plate of spaghetti.....

South Beach is good carbs in moderation.

Cut the crap out of your diet and you will be healthier and lose weight as an added benefit.

Yes, you can lose weight on a lot of different foods including junk food but you won't feel good or have energy if you don't eat a well balanced food plan.

Keep looking on this website, I am sure you will find a food plan that works for you. Great to have you here.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote