Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #16  
Tina

Height: 5'5"

I had been feeling pretty lousy about myself for a while. I've always struggled with my weight and have done countless diets but there came a point where I just didn't want to diet anymore so I gave up on it and just avoided the scale. I also stopped caring about putting on makeup because I figured I looked lousy anyway so why bother. I was feeling terribly unattractive and even though my fiance never complained and told me how beautiful I was all the time I didn't believe him. I was convinced that he was less attracted to me because I felt less attractive. The final straw though was when I went to a baby shower where there were several pregnant women and was mistaken for one of the mother's to be. Someone came up to me and rubbed my belly and asked when I was due. I was mortified and decided that enough was enough and began looking for a program that was realistic and sensible because I had done so many diets over the years and really didn't want to lose the weight only to put it back on and then some. So far so good. I hope that this time around I will keep it up and maintain it because I don't want to go back to feeling that way.
Ternoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #17  
LAWL Newbie 2008

S/C/G: 267/254/150

Height: 5'6"

I was thin in high school and then got married and ballooned from there. I divorced and am remarried. My kids rarely see their dad. This is sad, but they often tell me, "Mom, please don't die because we don't want to go live with him." If that wasn't motivation, I don't know what is. I can't deal with the guilt of knowing that all I had to do was quit stuffing my face and making bad food choices and that is what may keep them from living with their dad one day. I can't predict the future and know when I may die but if I have a choice in the matter, it won't be because I didn't try to change things. I'm doing it for me and sometimes when I want to quit, I do it for my kids until I get back to wanting it for myself. Does that make sense?
I'm not saying it's easy for me at all...because I have always "lived to eat" but now I'm trying to learn to "eat to live". Best of luck to you and I hope my thoughts may have helped you in some way.
carolntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #18  
ENOGO

S/C/G: 180/176.2/135

Height: 5'5'

Thank you all for the inspirational stories!! I know I must make a change and the change has to be in my head before anything else! I have never really struggled with my weight before now ....but I have always had a bad relationship with food. I had my third child a year ago and that pregnancy did a number for my weight and I have actually gained more since I had her!! I think my moment was two nights ago when I saw a picture of myself and like some of you - I didn't recognize myself. My thoughts and relationship with food must stop! Thanks for the support!

Em
enogo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 287/268/150

Height: 5'6

My lightbulb moment was actually when I was pregnant and hit over 300 lbs! I had a hard time finding clothes to wear because plus size maternity clothes are VERY difficult to find when you get to that "very pregnant" part of the last trimester. I knew that after I had my little baby, I not only needed to do this for myself, but for my baby and husband too.
angemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #20  

My lightbulb moment occurred during a chat with my, then, 82-year-old grandfather (who is now 83). He told me that he was very worried about my weight since both he and my Dad are diabetic. My granddad recently lost both legs because of diabetes, but he wants to walk again. He and I made a promise, I won't let him give up on walking and he won't let me give up on losing weight. When I told him that I had started LAWL, and 2 weeks into the plan had lost 4 pounds, he had tears in his eyes. For his 83rd birthday, I was able to tell him that I had lost 17 pounds and 13 and 1/2 inches. It feels great to keep my promise and be healthier!
lilczarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

My light bulb moment was last March. I had never lost the weight I gained when I had my DD. In fact I had gained more over the couple years. Last March as I handed my DD the keys to her own car (who told her she could turn 16?) I realized that I was 40 soon and if I did not do this soon I would have to resign myself to being fat forever.
The year before when I had reached a weight forcing me to shop in the Women's section I joined WW and dropped 25#'s that got me into regular sizes where I stayed happy for the time being. I slowly gained 5#'s back and panicked.
I hated to see pictures of myself and hid when a camera came out.
I decided that my goal was to be a size 14 by my 40th birthday. I made that goal and decided to keep going. I am pushing for a size 10. If I have trouble getting there or maintaining that weight I will settle for a 12.
I just want to look at myself in the mirror and know I have taken care of myself for my family. That my DD can look up to me and will follow in my foot steps and care for herself as much as I care for her. I want to live a long time for my DH and take care of my parents when they get old.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote