Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #1  

Unhappy diet and exercise???

does anyone know if there is a way to successfully lose weight without exercise????
i live in the mountains with a very frigid cold climate most of the year we have zero -10 degree temps right now....i cannot afford to go to the gym...i can';t go for a walk outside....i have little energy...and wonder if this is possible or do you know of any diets that will compliment this lifestyle.....
thankyou to all for any help
citygirl
citygirl0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Quite frankly, you can lose weight without exercise.

I don't recommend it, but you can do it. Weight loss is (and I use this term loosely) "simply" using more calories than you're taking in. Exercise makes that easier, and aids in keeping us healthier, but from a technical standpoint it isn't needed to lose weight as long as you don't mind losing a lot of muscle mass along with the fat.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #3  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Also, there are tons of indoor exercises that you could do. There are a mass of workout videos geared towards all types of people with all types of interests. Leslie Sansone's walking videos, I think, are good for beginners. I'm too uncoordinated to do any video that requires you do anything that might be considered "choreography" but even I could follow her. Many public libraries have videos that this that you can check out until you find one that you like. That would at least get you through until things thaw out!
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #4  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 272/268/170

Height: 5'7

I've heard that weightloss is built up by 70% diet, and 30% excersise. So I guess that means that it is possible... I think excersise makes the results come quicker. I am not much of an excersiser either- but I try and get some done at least 2xs a week.
Commit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with both previous posts. Yes, you can lose weight with diet alone, but there are also tons of exercises you can do that don't require going outside or to a gym or buying expensive equipment.

Also, even though you can lose weight without exercise, this means you will lose more muscle than those who do exercise. You can certainly be thin and still flabby, which I personally think is just as icky as being fat in the first place--you still won't look good naked

Also, by losing more muscle as you lose weight (because of not exercising), your metabolism will decrease. Muscle burns calories even while your body is at rest, whereas fat burns nothing. So, if you're losing muscle as you're losing weight, you're also losing metabolism! This means that you'll likely have to decrease you caloric intake by more and more frequently than those who are exercising to maintain as much muscle as possible.

In addition to exercise videos/DVDs, you could just turn on some upbeat music and dance around your living room. You could get some inexpensive resistance bands and/or small handweights to use at home. You could do push-ups (on your knees or even standing and leaning against a wall to begin with), squats, jumping jacks, leg lifts, etc., none of which require anything but your own body. Heck, just get off the couch and walk in place while you're watching tv--anything that gets your body moving!

I'm currently not exercising, but I just started a new food plan, and once I get that under my belt, exercise is my absolute next top priority. I know I don't need it to lose weight, but I want to look GOOD when I reach my goal, and I want to be more physically fit.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

yeah you can still lose weight you just have to really limit what you eat. Why don't you get some fitness DVDs or resistance bands and work out inside? That's what I do. Plus I have noticed people who don't exercise to me look more flabby even though they have lost weight since you lose muscle mass too.
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

What they said. And lots of us here live where it's cold much of the year, and we manage to find ways to exercise. You can get out when it's cold - it's the ice that bothers me more - if you dress for it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #8  

thank you for all your help and answers to my questions....they have really helped, guided and even motivated me...i just have to get there
citygirl
citygirl0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl0004 View Post
does anyone know if there is a way to successfully lose weight without exercise????
i live in the mountains with a very frigid cold climate most of the year we have zero -10 degree temps right now....i cannot afford to go to the gym...i can';t go for a walk outside....i have little energy...and wonder if this is possible or do you know of any diets that will compliment this lifestyle.....
thankyou to all for any help
citygirl
City Girl,
I think that exercise is VERY important to a healthy diet. I remember living in ND in the winter. That is FRIGID. With windchill there are times that it is 80 below F. I think the best thing for you would be to try some at home exercise.

You can get a treadmill. I know that is expensive and may not be an option.

You can get an exercise ball and a video or two. I really like Jillian Michael's videos if you are ready for weights. If not, Leslie S. has a walking workout video that works you up to walking 3 miles I think. My mom uses them. You walk in your home. She loves these videos.

If videos are out of the question, try fitTV or if you have onDemand there are a lot of exercise programs that you can try. Everything from dance to tae bo.

Ok....if videos and programs don't do it for you.....pick a show that you watch on TV and when you are watching use the commercial breaks. First break do squats and lunges, next break jog in place the whole break (walk and work your way up), next do crunches and pushups, etc.

If none of that appeals to you....turn on your radio and dance to all your favs for 20-30 min. Anything to get your heart rate up.

Muscle burns more. It raises your metabolism so that you stay burning fat even when you are just sitting around. If that isn't motivation enough exercise raises your internal temp for 6 hours after just 45 min!!! How cool is that....you don't even have to raise the heat up and you will be warmer!

Good luck to you
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

Sorry
I didn't read all the posts. It took me sooooo long to write mine that I missed. I rewrote a lot of what was already said.

I agree with all that say you can do this without exercise, but you wouldn't be toned. Besides when you exercise you can eat more too!
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4

You can do it.

But, it's better if you exercise. Even if it's at your home.. try buying fitness DVDs or stuff like that. There's always a way to exercise
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote