Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Favorite Clothes That Are Now Too Big

As you lose weight, your clothes get too big. Yea!!! However, if you are sad about losing a favorite here are some alternatives that I have used to solve the problem.

1. Find a Seamstress - I have taken several favorite items to a seamstress and for a small fee, she has taken in the item. The cost will depend on the city that you live in, but I don't mind paying $15 to alter something that I now can wear again. I sew, but not with the same expertise as a seamstress. Even if you have lost many sizes a seamstress can often still take it in enough to satisfy you. Obviously, get an estimate before making the decision to alter the garment.

2. Look on Ebay - I have searched and now found duplicates of two favorite tops of mine and purchased them in a smaller size on Ebay.

Enjoy and consider these ideas for you when you are considering how to reward yourself for the hard work involved in losing weight.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

Last edited by Lynx; 01-13-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Boy do I know what this is like...

I have a RL Polo rugby shirt that I bought as a BIG treat for myself a couple of years ago.. It's a XXL and looks so huge on me it's not even funny.. This was a VERY expensive shirt and while I've gotten rid of most of my big shirts, I just can't bear to get rid of this one.. How sad is that..

Thanks for the tips, Lynn...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #3  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I too have probably given away enough clothes to cloth a small 3rd world country (except they would probably need a much smaller size that my old too big clothes)

I did though keep 1 pair of my "I can fit in these no matter what" Jeans and a "I can fit in this no matter what" top. That way when I am not losing the way I want to or when I am felling low ... I can put it on and remind myself were I am NEVER going back to. It gives me the boost I sometimes need.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

Thanks for the tips. I've been contemplating whether to buy new clothes or have my pants altered. I love this style pants and I have been all over trying to replace them. Even the store (The Limited) I originally purchased them at has changed the pants style. Maybe, I'll check ebay too.
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

The whole pants thing... sheesh..

I wear jeans. Everday... I own one pair of kackies (sp?) and a suit... The problem is that I've yet to find a brand that really "fits".. The waist isn't really a problem, it's everything else.. I've been wearing Wranglers since I was heavy and they were fine then, but now, in smaller sizes, they're kind of "off", if you know what I mean..

I found one pair of jeans at JC Penny on clearance ($5!) and they fit wonderfully.. But that was the only pair they had that fit and even it's just a bit too big for me.. They were some Liz Clairborne for Men brand.. Oh well...

I guess the search continues...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/199/150

Height: 5'5"

LOVE my seamstress! I even took some of my favorite clothes to her TWO seperate times while I was losing weight. I didn't want to spend time/money shopping for very many new clothes until I met my goal, plus I'm one of those people who has a hard time finding things I like no matter what size I am.

In addition to having better looking/fitting clothes when the alteration was done, I loved watching the seamstress gather up all that loose fabric and pin it next to my smaller shape! It's a great way to literally measure your success! I'd highly recommend everyone do at least ONE piece.

Last edited by LadyZaidi; 01-15-2008 at 07:23 PM.
LadyZaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

I just loved getting rid of all my fat clothes....

I wore a lot of sweaters and knits, so after I lost a lot of weight, they had been stretched in weird ways. Strange bagginess in the underarms. I'm not sure why that is, but it was not attractive. I also did not have a lot of fine quality clothes when I was fat. I didn't enjoy shopping so I only spent the minimum and then got things that were rather shapeless to hide the fact that I did not like my shape... So it was cathartic to clear them out of the closet, a declaration of a new me.

I don't think I kept any of it... I had such a good time getting new clothes, and I got much nicer clothes than I bought myself previously.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote