Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #1  

Question Trying to overcome the dairy.

As children we grow up eating what we have been taught and I am a milk baby. I love dairy. Does anyone else have this issue? Can you give me pointers on ways to feel satisfied with minimal dairy? I always seem to go over it. I have given up my whole milk to fat free milk but I am having serious cravings.
Journey4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #2  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

this is a tough one. i love milk too!!! i thought it was kind of absurd that you only get one serving of milk a day on this program.......but.........you do get used to it. i will be anxious to drink it at every meal again, and I hope that that is part of maintainance. sorry i couldn't be of more help!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #3  

NOpe, that's no help...
I want my milk. I don't see why we can not have more if it's fat free.
I am still not understanding the concept and the reasoning behind all of this and how they came to the conclusion that this works. Why don't they just make a cereal, kinda like dog food with everything we need and slam it like a shake, I would find that easier then planning. lol I know I am a butthead.
Journey4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #4  
On LAWL

S/C/G: 159/156/140

Height: 5'6

I Love Milk as well. One thing that has helped me out is the LA powered shakes. Each one counts as 1 lite. I used to take a packet, blend with ice and fruit or Diet Sprite. I prefer vanilla for a more milky taste. They also have chocolate and strawberry.
firmmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

The Almond Breeze milk counts as a condiment.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #6  
Holly on LAWL

S/C/G: 148/143/124

Height: 5'4"

Some ways to S-T-R-E-A-C-H your dairy budget!

Please note that 8 Oz. of the unsweetened Almond Breeze counts as a condiment.

I love the Almond Breeze! I use it in my cereal, in my coffee. Its great! That way I can save my dairy for 2 lowfat cheese sticks and it just seems like more food for me!

1 Tbs of parmacian cheese=1 Condiment

You can also have 1/2cup SF, FF ice cream and it counts as one starch!
holly321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #7  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I was thinking about this last night in bed........and I didn't think to ask you if you ever split your dairy? I almost always use 4 oz milk at lunch, and 4 oz at dinner. And.......if you really want to, you can do a carb cravers protein and have a bowl of cereal with 8 oz (you could use 4 oz on your cereal and drink the other 4 oz) of milk. Check out the carb cravers section of your book.

I know this all seems overwhelming and like you have lost so much freedom with eating, but, what you are really doing, is learning how to eat for energy instead of enjoyment. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your food, but food should really not be used to aquire joy. Food is necessary to fuel your body and keep it healthy......and that is why this program works. It helps you balance your food requirements, and eat in moderation. We all have our personal battles, our own favorites we have to give up........but it is soooo worth it. You come to appreciate your favorites when you dp have them. Quantity is over rated (and it makes you fat). Enjoy your milk.......just in moderation. It is worth it, and you can do it. One of my counselors told me that if I want to tweek the program in some healthy way, and I am still losing, to go ahead and do that. If it is milk, and milk alone that you miss..........maybe you can somehow sneak in an extra serving..........but be careful. Sometimes if you start to manipulate the program, it comes back to bite you in the butt. You may end up changing several things, and before you know it, your weight loss will stall, and noone will know why because so many things are deviating from the program. Talk with your COD about it too, and then make a well thougth out decision about what you want to do about your dairy depression You will get it worked out. Best of luck to you!!!

P.S. I sooo understand, I am originally from the original dairy state...Wisconsin!!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

Journey - I love milk too and dh and I have always (for 20+years) had a glass together before bed, jokingly calling it a "night cap"... so, when I have milk, I have milk. I don't have cereal with milk very often, or use it for other things. I drink MILK! I will admit to loving Yoplait FF yogurt also so I do have that once in a great while as a treat instead of my glass of milk.
I agree with Nicole - talk to your counselor and see if they can suggest ways you could get in a little more if that's what it will take to make you content!
Excuse me for the way I put this.... you didn't get here drinking ff milk! In other words, if that's what it takes to make this work for you... then work with your counselor to find a way!
Hugs,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/189/178

Height: 5' 9"

Default Dairy

When I started I had a hard time eating all of the veg. I was allowed to trade in 1 fruit and 1 veg for an additional dairy.
nbungay is offline   Reply With Quote