Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #1  

Default Grapefruit diet

I know this has grapefruit in it so it's not totally low carb but I think this is the closest section to the diet so I thought I'd post here. Does anyone have any experience with this diet? It was actually recommended to me by a Dr he lost 100 lbs on it. I'm in the 460's now and having some serious medical problems so they want me to get some weight off fast. Was wondering if anyone has tried it? Thanks for any help!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I tried it when I was in college. I really think it's too restrictive and unbalanced. Yes, you may lose some weight, but the acual health benefits of eating half a grapefruit with every meal are minimal, and you'll sure get sick of it quickly! I also ended up eating a diet very high in saturated fats, which sure can't be helpful!

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors really don't know much about dieting and weight loss unless it is their specific area of expertise. I'd much rather hear a doctor suggesting a diet based on whole foods, or a plan such as calorie counting or Weight Watchers (which is basically calorie counting with a little variance based on fat and fiber). I also think South Beach is a fabulous plan, as it teaches you to eat "good" carbs, not just eliminate them completely.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply! After further reading the sheet the Dr gave me it's way to much meat for me I like protein and meat but I like things like cottage cheese and yogurt. So I'm going to do South Beach which I was told to do a year ago by my primary Dr. I have problems listening!!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote