Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group concerning the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss our daily efforts and, for some of us, serves as an on-line diet coach.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
November 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
October 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
September 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
The Beck Diet Solution August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - support group? [ May/June 2007]

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-10-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: HTML error in links to September and November 2007 threads
Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Happy New Year – 2008

Met CoastalSue’s challenge; CREDIT moi. For my New Year Eve party I was facing an evening being offered VERY good finger food arranged to encourage nibbling as well as a cheerful, assertive hostess working the crowd with a different platter of luscious something every half hour or so. I had visions of continuous grazing with only a vague notion of trying to limit it. Then this happened:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsue View Post
BillBlueEyes Here is the challenge. Tonight -I will not eat one thing which I do not put on my plate or napkin first to catch my breath before eating and let me know if you do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
On my way out the door. This will be difficult, as this party specializes in grab-n-go platters. Howsomever, Challenge accepted. I'll report back.
My attitude was changed on the spot. At the party, I happily drank a cranberry sparking water for the first hour busily chatting while observing the food and devising my plate. Then I filled a single 6” plate of the most choice offerings, sat down and thoroughly enjoyed every treat. I was satisfied. I ignored the food for the rest of the evening feeling that I had had a most delightful mini-meal instead of feeling like I had suffered to refrain from eating all night. To me, it feels like a miraculous difference – just the kind of difference I’m trying to find. (Just have to figure out how to keep CoastalSue in a jar to push me before each party situation.) I hate to sound like a proselytizer, but that is Beck’s strategies working.

Sue (CoastalSue) – You done egged me on to do good. Thank you.

MaryBlu – Like the others, I’m excited about beginning at the beginning.

SuchAtwin – Was just happily pondering on your thought, ” I am trying to be my new best friend”.

Ann (Newlifestyle) – You suggested to CoastalSue that she plan for her New Year’s Eve party. She responded to you, then turned around and challenged me. And that changed my party experience, making you my "gran diet coach" for the evening, as it were. So, thanks for getting me on track. Oh, and because of you I went and found an empty chair to sit down and eat mindfully for a few minutes amidst the general engorging surrounding me. I just followed the suggestions of my gran diet coach, “that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.”

Cammie (CammieCam)”Bonne Année” back to you.

Heidi (hbuchwald) – Waving as she shushes past.

Tam (tammay) – Thank you for your remarkable demonstration of recognizing out of plan eating, asking questions to alter your mind set, and then taking a positive step to get back on plan. What a fine example of what we’re trying to learn here. Kudos to you.

Readers – May you loose your resolve on your resolutions. 

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-01-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #3  

Happy New Years Everyone

Well, I went to the party with the best of intentions for using a napkin or plate and not eat one thing directly from the serving plate.eeekkkk there were no napkins nor plates any where but tons of yummy finger food-I was busted in our challenge. I did do a great job drinking water during the evening with the glass of bubbly for New Year. thanks to you Ann for planting that idea in my brain.

Credit to you Bill!! glad you enjoy the food while (Sob, Sob) beating me in the challenge.

More later-We have over night company and breakfast to make-I got a kick out of the challenge but was shocked I could not particpate-who knows maybe next party I'll even bring a small napkin for me to use and focus on eating less finger foods-ummm Have to think about that one.

sue
Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default The Wisdom of Beck

Here's to it, and the collective wisdom of us all. Our collective approach is working its magic already!

Happy New Year, all..the dear ones who have been posting regularly and all who may reading along.

Collectively, we decided that we would review The Beck Diet Solution together, taking two program-days each week. I agreed to lead the first week, and know that someone will offer to lead next week. Regardless of where we are in the book, or the plan, it is probably obvious to us all by now that there is so much to be gained by our discussions.

Since we have a whole week to do the first two days, I have been giving some thought to the introduction pages. I reread them twice because there is so much wisdom there...wisdom and hope. The first time I read Beck, I was struck with the the hope, the certainty that the weight loss (and sustaining it) is not only doable, but there is a certain pathway to acheiving it.

"You'll get to the point where you react differently when you see food you know you shouldn't eat." Beck, pg. 24.

"My attitude was changed on the spot. At the party, I happily drank a cranberry sparking water for the first hour busily chatting while observing the food and devising my plate. Then I filled a single 6” plate of the most choice offerings, sat down and thoroughly enjoyed every treat. I was satisfied. I ignored the food for the rest of the evening feeling that I had had a most delightful mini-meal instead of feeling like I had suffered to refrain from eating all night. To me, it feels like a miraculous difference – just the kind of difference I’m trying to find. (Just have to figure out how to keep CoastalSue in a jar to push me before each party situation.) I hate to sound like a proselytizer, but that is Beck’s strategies working." BillBlueEyes, Jan. 1, 2008. Wow.

Another "aha" moment the first time through occurred when I realized I had spent a good deal of my adult life being a little resentful of people who are thin and can apparently eat whatever they want. That is a really shameful thing to have to admit; imagine how startling it was to realize it.

And then.......to have to realize that they really probably can't eat whatever they want. I love the way Beck phrases the truth of it: "Most thin people, especially women, stay thin by being incredibly careful about what they eat. The might tell you that they don't work at it, but mostly, they do."

I have admitted to you in the past that I am rebellious. That means for one thing I have a terrible time with compliance. The only thing I can say I have been 100% compliant with is taking all of my antibiotic meds so I didn't get strep back.

Last time, I read Beck, got it, agreed with it, but then...the sabotaging thoughts and behaviors. Yanno, its not like this is so tough...the steps are all reasonable and doable...and REQUIRIED.. so, I am already smiling about what I will be writing on my Advantage Response Cards. I hope we will all feel comfortable sharing some of the "deeper" ones...the ones that require more thought and analysis. If so, great; if not, I hope what is shared is helpful.

I had a mentor in my past life who said, "there is only one way to search for a job, and that's frantically." It seems that conquering my wt. problem once and for all rates a similar effort. I really do want to think differently about food. I don't want to be so attracted by its signal. I want to get to the point where I react differently to food I know I shouldn't eat. I want it to be automatic. I do know that will require effort, but what a reward!

Happy posting all; I am so looking forward to our discussions.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #5  
SuchAtwin

Wow, Maryblu, thank-you for the very thoughtful in-depth review! I too would like my thoughts to be automatic. To achieve we have to believe! It is great to start 2008 with a positive affirmation."You'll get to the point where you react differently when you see food you know you shouldn't eat." Beck, pg. 24.
Sue: with or without a napkin or plate, it sounds like you behaved like a winner to me.
Bill: love your pithyness:"May you loose your resolve on your resolutions. "
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #6  
SuchAtwin

or is it pithiness
Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #7  

Hi there friends,
I am now officially back from my ski trip. We had a FABULOUS trip-full of family fun, activity and me handling food really well overall given the circumstances. Today I was in the car for a bit over 8 hrs getting home and succumbed to the calling of the white cheddar popcorn and a reese's pbutter cup. It is behind me now... onward and forward.

I am so happy to be back home and that it is a new year and that we are rereading the book.

Maryblu-what a great beginning to our discussions. Thank you for taking the time to read, reread and share with us. My reasons for losing weight list is long. The one umbrella that all of my reasons can fall under is "I want to live as long as I can to fully develop myself and watch my daughter grow up." I have really been working on myself this last year and know that the philosophy behind BDS works for me since I have made changes in other areas of my life. I too want to get to that point where the thinking is automatic.

Billblueeyes: SO impressive that you took that challenge from Coastalsue and really made it work for yourself at that party.

Sue-these things happen... all of these situations teach us something and help us for similar situations in the future. Your interaction with Bill demonstrates the power of this list and the importance in sharing with each other... credit tu!

Off to slug some water down and hit the hay early. What is it about sitting on my arse all day in a car that makes me TIRED????

Til tomorrow, Heidi
Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Back to work day

Was good to have a quiet day, just working on a refrigerator full of leftovers. Got the Christmas tree down and to the curb. Spent some quiet time reading Winter World that describes the inventive ways that animals survive the cold and scarcity of food.

MaryBlu - Thanks for getting us started and for going back over the introductory material. I take encouragement from Beck's little snipe, "... but mostly, they do." It reminds me that rational eating will get less difficult, but it will always require my attention. Rereading also reminds me that I am quite able to "...fool yourself about how much you eat." If I eat straight from a container while standing, it doesn't count. Just WOW at the power of denial.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Oh Well. I remain grateful for the challenge and share your expectations that you'll figure out a way next time. [ Visualizing Sue arriving at a party with her own napkin, plate, silverware, and chair - just in case]

SuchAtwin - I appreciate being drawn back to Beck's affirmation: "You'll get to the point where you react differently when you see food you know you shouldn't eat."

Cammie (CammieCam) - Don't forget to come home someday, LOL.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Welcome back. LOL, after 5 hours driving, I long to go to bed I'm so tired. Doesn't make any sense to me either.

Readers - Beck reminds us that "thin people" don't feel helpless and hopeless when they gain weight; they simply watch what they eat for the next few days.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-02-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #9  

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place, but I just got the Beck Diet Solution book and am looking for a coach. I'm feeling pretty pumped about this plan as I really believe that CBT works. Here's a bit about me, so you can decide if you want to be my coach:

I am 41 yrs old, happily married and am the very lucky Mom to a 6 year old girl. I currently weight 215 lbs and my long term goal is to weigh 150 lbs (that would move my BMI from obese through overweight to healthy weight). I work full time at a women's shelter. I live in small town Nova Scotia, Canada.

Looking forward to working this program and getting to know you all. Thanks,
Nancy
who just realized that I need to update my signiture.

Last edited by capernan; 01-02-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 01-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #10  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone.

Welcome Nancy, I do hope you enjoy this group as much as I do.

Maryblu, thank you for starting us off, I am going to respond, when I read your post, I wanted to go back and re-re-read the first part.

Bill, way to go at the party....yeah you.

Heidi, I too feel worn out when I drive in a car. I get so tired.

Sue, let us all do great in 2008. This is going to be our year.

Cammie, how are you doing? I hope you have an awesome time.

SuchATwin, I hope you had an awesome day.

Hello to everyone and I do hope you all had a great day. I feel like I am still so busy.

Have a great day everyone.
Ann
Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #11  

Welcome to 2008,

The last 3 vistors have pulled out of our drive way with absolutely no plans for more gatherings in the near future. Now Northern Cal is expected to be hard hit with a series of 3 storms-projecting power outages. One time we went 5 days without power-that was long!! I want things to quiet down but not that quiet. If I don't post for some days that will be why.

Maryblue-Thanks for the thoughts-Even on my advantage card I only focus on how I want my body and energy level to be -but never thought about include a goal of changing my attitude to eating. Then the quote about frantically job hunting effort- I find it very hard to continously maintain the level of focus needed to change old eating habits. Pondering on a reason for my listof reasons to lose weight which deals with changing/freeing my self from the attitude that I must have these periodic unhealthy overindulgence. I have successfully dealt with some very difficulty things in my life, but why do I have a childlike hope that changing food habits should be "easier"? I "must" take these periodic overeating breaks while losing weight. Underneath food still have a role of reward-the battle of logical mind adult versus emotional kid. I really want to be a logical adult who can have alot fun without volumns food.

Capernan-Big Welcome!! this is the best spot because there is a group of coaches-like the old saying no one of us is smarter than all of together! I certainly respect you line of work and how stressful it can become. Beck has a well writen book-every thing makes sense but it is that day to day practice which we can use help with-this is the spot.

Welcome back home Heidi- It always great when family trip turn out so well. It is hard not eat in the car during long trip especially with young children who need snacks so often.

BillBlueEyes-glad you like a challenge-me too. I love cards, games and good natured competition-Even more important is that when making a game out of what is a struggle, it changes attitude. Even now I'll remember to use a napkin/plate in future gathering-with a smile. Got to make the long check list of to-dos fun.

SuchATwin-thanks for the support-Hope things are going well for you and your famiy.

Howdy Ann-hope you get unbusy soon.

During these storms may there be- power to the people!

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 01-02-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Getting Serious About Beck

Greetings, all, and welcome to day 2 of our discussions about the Beck Diet Solution.

Welcome, Nancy (capernan). I am not sure how many of us here actually have a Beck diet coach in person, and it remains to be seen how effective our collective coaching will be, but you will find support here, a "reality check" if needed, a "challenge" or two, and a lot of humor. It does feel great to me that all of us are focused and fired up. (I suspect BillBE was getting a little tired carrying us all! )

If we are following Beck from Day I, our assignments are to do our Advantage Cards (day 1) and to choose a diet plan and a backup plan (day 2). We are encouraged not to start "dieting" until day 15, but rather to get ready. The old me would have just started in dieting, but this time, I am enjoying not dieting. I am being very mindful of what I eat, and have made really great choices. Imagine that.

I do think that Beck intends us to get very specific and deep about recording our Advantage Cards with a lot of thought. Those of us who are overweight think about it everyday. We wish to be thin. We wait to be thin--"I am NOT buying ANY clothes until I lose 20#s (pick a #)." Then we brush that aside. It is a negative thought, or a passive thought; it bugs us, but it doesn't cause us to act. Imagine the power of a well-thought -out -specifc list of positive outcomes from getting and staying at a healthy weight.

"My reasons for losing weight list is long. The one umbrella that all of my reasons can fall under is "I want to live as long as I can to fully develop myself and watch my daughter grow up." I have really been working on myself this last year and know that the philosophy behind BDS works for me since I have made changes in other areas of my life. I too want to get to that point where the thinking is automatic"
Heidi (hbuckwald)

It has struck me many times that if we learn this discipline and embrace it, we will be much more effective in other aspects of our lives as well. I don't know how many years of calendars I have for Franklin Covey; I KNOW they work; I just don't use them. Most of us are pretty sure Beck will work, right? We have seen BillBE eyes using the program, working it, and it working for him....right? hmmmmmm......hmmmmmmmm
Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #13  

Hello friends,
Capernan: I did have a diet coach identified and willing to work with me. We talked on the phone since we live about an hour away from each other. This is so much better for me since everyone here understands the deal and I can post/read whenever I want to or need to. I continue to look at different people in my life and think, "could this person be a good coach for me?"... yes, time will ultimately tell but for now, this group and one on another site are doing it for me.

Coastalsue: I really hope that your power doesn't go out! We lose our power here in my part of WA state periodically too. I have been lucky that it has never been more than 3 days (knock on wood) for us. It is really hard to live like that!

Billblueeyes: That book sounds interesting! I go back to work tomorrow...I never look forward to it but it is always good when I am there. I am a teacher, which is a job I really enjoy, but just love being home with my daughter too.

Maryblu: Great work on keeping us focused on the days in the book. And kudos for really following that "don't diet until day 15" part. That is difficult! Since I am rereading, I am still eating according to my "plan" but taking in all that has not been absorbed (from the book not from extra food..hahahaa). Portion control and TRULY paying attention to hunger and being "comfortable" are my focii. I am gearing up to buy that "Mindless Eating" book. Funny how I referred to it as "Mindful" when it is "mindless"... was I being very "mindful" when I wrote that?

Off to read and then hit the hay.

Til tomorrow, Heidi
Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Nancy (Capernan)

Nancy (Capernan)

This is certainly the right place for someone who is attacking The Beck Diet Solution! As you can see, we're just starting to discuss the book from the beginning, so it's a perfect time to join.

Some of us informally use this forum as a group diet coach. We've never tried to describe exactly what that means that we're expected to give and to receive here. But, as you can tell by reading the Beck threads to date, it generally means supportive listening, giving feedback on what we've heard, and making suggestions that move each other toward the Beck strategies.

Please step boldly into the fray and by your postings help us to figure out how to be a productive group diet coach.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Bitterly Cold Thursday

It's the time to motivate myself to walk in bitter cold with ice everywhere, or to learn to love the treadmill in the gym. I use the local Bally's, which I really like, so I was a bit miffed when the Feb 08 Consumer Reports just rated gyms in the USA and Bally's came in dead last. Perhaps nationally, I wouldn't know, but not the specific Bally's location that I use. Oh Well.

My Advantages Card has 20 entries that I've refined over three months. The first is:
Healthy life style empowers personal and spiritual growth - "I am being responsible."
Remaining responsible for myself allows me to be available to confront other issues and opportunities in my life. Each unsolved problem that I carry dulls my ability to be responsible in all areas of my life. Knowing that I was living an unhealthy lifestyle was costing me more than just the health issues.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Like your notion of changing a struggle into a smile. Crossing my fingers for your electricity.

MaryBlu - Kudos for getting us going here. You capture well the millstone of carrying weight: Those of us who are overweight think about it everyday. ... it bugs us, but it doesn't cause us to act. For me not acting on weight seeps over to not acting on other aspects of my life.

tofulover – Come back and start at the beginning with us.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Glad that you're keeping this Beck thread on your list even while you're so busy.

Cammie (CammieCam) - Have you returned?

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Do you have a definition of what a Diet Coach does?

Nancy (capernan) - Notice that you wrote:"I'm feeling pretty pumped about this plan as I really believe that CBT works." Were you already a believer in CBT before reading Beck? Do you use it in your counseling?

SuchAtwin - Just pondering your thought: "To achieve we have to believe!"

Readers - "They [thin people] feel no compulsion to empty their plates." Beck, pg 35.

Closed Thread