Cutting Calories - Opinions

• Hi all,
    I'm planning on getting into a serious weight loss and exercise regime starting (of course ) Jan 1. I lost 30 pounds on a lowcarb diet about 2 years ago but the past year and a half have been mega stressful and I gained back 20 of those pounds. I am now a vegetarian trying to go vegan so I planned out for myself a lowfat vegan diet that is balanced with plenty of whole foods which is what I think works best or me.

I'm wondering if I need to cut calories more, though. My menu turns out to be around 1400-1450 calories a day. I am 5 feet and 140 pounds (medium built). I've read that a lot of the commercial diet plans are around 1500 calories so I thought mine is ok but I'm a bit scared because I've always had the number 1200 in my mind. It's hard for me to figure out how many calories would be right for me because I've been all over the board - I've done 1000 cals or less a day and I've done (when I was lowcarbing as a meat-eater) up to 1700 cals a day and lost weight on all of those. But of course, I know for longterm it's not about losing the weight now, it's about finding a plan I can stick with for the rest of my life, both for weight loss and maintenance.

As far as exercise goes, I've got that down. I'm good about walking and walk around 60-90 minutes a day at a moderate/brisk pace. I'm also going to add alternating days pilates and resistance and some yoga (hopefully) so I'll be exercising. I'm just not sure what to do about calories. I don't want to cut them so low that I feel hungry and deprived and that pushed me to binge eating (which is something I am trying to get in control) but I don't want them so high that I don't lose any weight. I have no problem losing slowly, I'm in now hurry, though .

Any opinions?

Tam
  • Tam, I say keep your calories right where they are. You have a well-thought out plan that sounds reasonable, sustainable, and yes, like something you can do forever. So don't pay any attention to that little voice in your head saying "1200 calories, 1200 calories"!

Stick to your plan like glue and monitor your progress, both inches and pounds lost. Give it a month or so, and then evaluate. If you're losing 1 - 2 pounds a week, great! Tweak your plan only if and when it stops working for you. But I bet you're going to get great results!

Best of luck to you!
  • Hi Meg,
    Thanks for responding. I think you're right, that I should start where I am and track my progress and see how I'm doing. I think it's just anxiety because I'm so used to diet=ultra low calories (even though I've been reading studies lately that have shown that people who lose weight on ultra low cal diets rather than just low cal, the difference between 1000-1200 cals/day and 1500 cals/day tend to gain it back more!). But your advice makes sense.

And your weight loss story is amazing!

Tam
  • I'd recommend calorie cycling, too... switching up your calories on a daily basis so that you don't plateau.
  • tammay
    I know what I do isn't for everyone. When I talked to my doc and the dietitian/nutritionist they thought was I was doing was great. Calories between 1200 and 1400. I can go over I can go under ( very very seldom under ), not a big deal those amounts are general amounts. They said a person should never be under 1200 calories for a healthy diet. Like I said, that could be bull but that is what I was told.