Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #1  

Red face I'm new and bit confused...

Soooo...what would be a good resource on what exchanges are for food? For example if I make a sandwich with deli smoked turkey with lettuce on whole wheat with a tablespoon of mayo would that equal 2 carbs, 1 protein, 1 vegatable and 1 condiment? If 4oz of fish is one protein how can a few slices of deli meat be protein serving if it is not at heavy? Wouldn't I be jipping myself if i choose the deli meat for a protein serving? Also if I was to have a sweet like 1/2 of a cookie what does that fall under? A fat? How big can this cookie be? I'm soooo Confused on portions and the variety of measures of food in each meal! Do I make sense? Wonder if anyone has this problem or maybe I'm missing the boat? Thanks for any help!
lisab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisab23 View Post
Soooo...what would be a good resource on what exchanges are for food? For example if I make a sandwich with deli smoked turkey with lettuce on whole wheat with a tablespoon of mayo would that equal 2 carbs, 1 protein, 1 vegatable and 1 condiment? If 4oz of fish is one protein how can a few slices of deli meat be protein serving if it is not at heavy? Wouldn't I be jipping myself if i choose the deli meat for a protein serving? Also if I was to have a sweet like 1/2 of a cookie what does that fall under? A fat? How big can this cookie be? I'm soooo Confused on portions and the variety of measures of food in each meal! Do I make sense? Wonder if anyone has this problem or maybe I'm missing the boat? Thanks for any help!
Well... First off.. Try to stay away from deli meat unless it's low sodium (Boar's Head Brand is a good choice)... A sandwich like you described, unless you seriously loaded it with veggies would be basically 2 starches and and 1 protein.. and 1 condiment as well. A 6-inch from Subway probably counts as 1 veggie because they typically put more veggies on there than we do when we make a sandwich at home.

Also.. Cookies aren't allowed, so don't worry about what they count as..

The proportions of different proteins are based on calories, fat content and density... For now, remember that red meat should be minimalized as far as weekly intake goes... Also, too much salmon can be counterproductive because it's a fatty fish...

Above all, for the all the program's managerial issues, it's pretty sound when it comes to its formula for weight loss.. So stick to what the books say!

If you monkey around with the formula or cheat with foods that aren't allowed, it won't work..

Remember to read labels... Stay away from processed foods, things with loads of salt, and things like cookies!

Hope that gives you some insight...

ON EDIT: Most of what you asked should be questions asked of your COD counselors... You've paid them a lot of money to help you lose weight.. Hold their feet to the fire when you have concerns!

Last edited by Dan2112; 12-20-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

If you are looking for a snack fix, I had a counsellor tell me the 100 calorie pack snacks you buy in a store (not LAWL) count as a starch. The centers will not like this because they want to sell you their product...but the 100 calorie snacks can be used...
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #4  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

I also use Reduced Fat Nilla Waffers. They help get rid of my cookie cravings.

8 for 1 startch.

Last edited by cecil; 12-20-2007 at 06:20 PM.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote