Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #16  
Mommy of 6, 4, almost 1!!

S/C/G: 194.6/179.2/155

Height: 5'1"

LOL at Tammy!!! Yes, that is true. Although, that's probably not the case. hehe

Keep on truckin' sweetlovin'! I do think that it's rather common for a teenager to have more brains than an adult! Some young people have far more life experience/common sense than a grown adult that is 50! Best to you!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 AM   #17  

shoupfamily, I know that sweetlovin will have many more problems in life. I am not sure she totally realizes that the problems here are pretty minor compared to the big picture.

I too wish her well, but I think she is going to have to take the bull by the horns and make some commitments on her own to do what she thinks is best. Knowing that there is a portion control problem has to be dealt with by the person, not by those asked for advice. Knowing that she has to kick up the exercise is also another commitment that could be made. Being so young, now is the time to get it under control, but only she can do that.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Default here's what I read and reacted to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
I'll pray for you that this message board is the biggest hastle or problem that you ever have to deal with in your life.
Snarky... clearly snarky...
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

First of all, I would like to say, that emotional content should not be read into people's posts. They (more than likely) did not mean it the way some people are taking it. I read the other thread and I do believe that people were just posting out of concern not out of spite or jealousy.

I think it is wonderful that you want to eat healthier! I would focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins as much as you can. It might be beneficial for you to cook things up on the weekends (or when you have time) and then portion them out for the week. Whole foods can sometimes take longer to cook. I would also suggest going to your local library and checking out some books on eating whole foods and general books on nutrition. Maybe they'll have a book on nutrition for teens?

My main concern for you would be to make sure that you eat enough. Teenagers need more calories then adults do. Your body is still developing. Fun fact, did you know that your brain doesn't stop development until your mid-20's? And, yes, this is just a fact, I'm not trying to imply anything.

You may even find that you body fat shifts in places as you finish reaching adulthood. I know I was pretty flabby in places at your age (I was not heavy until later in adulthood) until things "shifted" into a more proper placement.

On the subject of that, I agree with the other posters that have mentioned exercise. If you want to look toned, you'll need to exercise along with eating healthy. Why not? Getting used to exercising now will set you up for healthy lifestyle for the future.

As far as your goal weight is concerned. Have you discussed it with your family doctor? Does your insurance cover a nutritionist? I personally thing BMI is bunk because it doesn't take into account frame size or muscle structure. Your goal weight may very well be in a healthy range, but I would talk to your doctor. I don't put much trust in online calculators.

Last edited by zenor77; 12-09-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #20  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
Ugh, it's been happening so much lately. In real life and not in real life.
If it's happening a lot, including in real life, then maybe life is trying to tell you something.
Most of us here are older than you are. I wish someone had told me when I was your age that I didn't need to diet because I was flabby, I needed to exercise. - because I did! My weight was fine, I just needed to work out. But back then most people weren't thinking about "working out".
"Dieting" now will just mess with your metabolism in the long run.
Now, if you want to eat healthy, eat lots of green veggies (fresh or frozen), fruits, leaner proteins (eggs & tuna & chicken breasts can be good sources), healthy fats & some whole grains (like bread & brown rice). Drink lots of water, not soda.
One last thing - it's a rare, rare person who doesn't have a little flab - those that don't have it are that way because of their exercise more than their diet.
By the way, BMI means very little because it doesn't take into account your bone structure or muscle mass, it's just an average. So at your height, a BMI up to 175 COULD be good, depending on your bone structure and muscle mass.

Last edited by Meemo; 12-09-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread