Thyroid Saliva Test, Hair Analysis

• As some of you may remember, I was having my thyroid checked(actually rechecked) because one of the functions was borderline low. Doc sent me to an endocrinologist, who acted like he didn't know why I was there, but rechecked(again--3rd time in 4 months)--he said it was normal, but cholesterol was high, told me to exercise more, eat a low cholesterol diet, and talk to my primary care phys. for any more concerns, and he would have to re-refer me for further care from him(endocrinologist).
    WELL, in my research of thyroid function, it seems that blood tests are not always accurate. Saliva testing and hair analysis seem to be another way to check problems with metabolism and thyroid problems. I found a nutritionist who does this testing 50 miles from me. She is very nice, spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me yesterday. Will cost me $160 for the thyroid saliva, and $145 for the hair analysis, and then $60 for a report of findings appt. I am seriously thinking of doing this. If anyone has any info, negative or positive, PLMK!! Feel free to PM or email me if you want!!
    Thanks!!!

P.S. I did talk to my center mgr about this--she thinks it is a good idea.
  • I had those tests run at my naturopath's and it was WAY more expensive for me! but it did give very thorough result and IMHO was very worth it!
  • If You Have the Money Go Ahead but....
    I think if you have the money go ahead but I must say that even though my blood tests did not show much of a low functioning thyroid I was put on thyroid medicine for several years. I never lost an ounce because of that.

I think if you have a cholesterol problem I would be more concerned about that. I was just reading today about metabolic syndrome and it is basically pre-diabetes. I think cutting out fats in your diet would probably help you lose weight more than taking thyroid medicine.

There is a book (and I don't remember the title) by Dr. Wayne Callaway which will help correct your metabolism in six weeks that is very very good. He used to be an advisor to Weight Watchers and a doctor at the Mayo Clinic. I was able to correct my metabolism by following that book's suggestion.

Worth a read!
  • Well, I am confused now!! One who thinks its good, one who doesn't think necessary! I was going tomorrow, but might put it off a bit now to give it more thought. Maybe I should just give lawl a chance for a month, then rethink. Any other opinions appreciated!!
  • Donna, are you having any symptoms of low thyroid? I have been on thyroid supplements for years, and never found that it helped me to lose weight, except for it helping to have the energy to do what needed to be done to lose weight.

You got me interested in the saliva testing. I found this web site that offer to sell you a saliva test http://www.canaryclub.org/ offers a complete saliva test for 199$

I am interested in the metabolism book, since from everything I've read I feel that my body tends to try to compensate by lowering my metabolism to meet the incoming calories rather than give up the fat. So I would like to get my hands on this book.
  • I have read that testing your body temp is a good gauge of metabolism also. I found that info on the a thyroid website...my daughter is borderline hypo and I was doing some research. From what I have read, the numbers dont always tell the whole story. Good luck!
  • Couldn't find this book at Barnes and Nobles but I see some on Amazon. Which book is it pamatga?

The Callaway Diet: Successful & Permanent Weight Control for Starvers, Stuffers & Skippers

The Callaway Diet