Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Black Friday

BIG success at Thanksgiving Dinner !!!!!!!! Giving myself great credit (as Beck directs us to).

I ate one plate - no seconds. a small slice of turkey white meat and the rest vegetable dishes. I ate dessert, rare for me but planned for Thanksgiving: half slice of pumpkin pie, half slice of apple pie, taste size bite of chocolate cake, and small dollop of real whipped cream. The pumpkin pie was a lifetime first and I loved it. (DW is delighted since she has a favorite recipe for pumpkin pudding that she abandoned years ago because I wouldn't eat it.)

Took a short, hostess-led walk between dinner and dessert (about two miles). This felt soooo good, but, of course, made the stomach feel ready for dessert.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Like the reminder from Day 4 to give ourselves credit. I just did so. So, in addition, I give myself credit for giving myself credit.

And, liked the reminder that Beck stresses the importance of avoiding the feeling of helplessness. For me, that's got to be one of the biggest ideas that Beck keeps pounding and pounding. As long as we don't feel helpless, we have access to our problem solving brains and our choice making brains and that portion of our brains that can make the critical observations such as: that's just a feeling and it may not be completely true.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Glad to hear your sales went OK. I'll start working on a new image of Sue and DH as mature hippies "On the Road Again."

I, too, feel like I'm patronizing myself when I give myself credit. Ill try to keep doing it here; in real life I think people would think me weird for saying that I didn't go back for seconds at Thanksgiving, LOL. Hope you can find the magic for making the patronizing feeling go away. OK, in real time I'll try this:
It's just a feeling,
it may not be completely true,
people have never laughed at you for straight forward credits in the past,
they may even want to tell you that they once didn't have seconds also.
Good enough, that's my start.

Readers - Yesterday is done. Give yourself credit or just say Oh, Well. You are not helpless; you remain in control of today.

Completed Beck Program-day 30. 12 to go. Keep going!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-26-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #77  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Bill, Sue, Karina and any lurkers out there.

I can't believe I didn't see this site sooner. Maybe I just wasn't ready. I am so excited to read the posts each day. The posts help me out so much.
Sue and Bill you have truly made a difference in my life by your posts. Did I tell you how much I appreciate you both....well I do.

Day 6 - meet with your diet coach

Let your diet coach know your weight change plus or minus
Successes and accomplishments in both dieting and exercise
Any Problems you may have
Situations that may arise.

Beck mentions if you are tempted to skip this assignment "Do it anyway"

Sabotaging thought.....I can do this on my own

Helpful response....It's a million times more likely that this time I'll be able to lose weight and keep it off if I have to report to my coach and get help when I need it.

day 7 Organizing your environment

it is important to get rid of items you find difficult to resist and to stock your kitchen with healthy food.

sabotaging thought....I don't want to ask others to make changes

Helpful response......at the beginning, I have to minimize food triggers. and it is good practice for me to stand up for myself.

have a wonderful day.
Ann
Old 11-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Hey! I *resemble* that remark

Watch that "lurker language". No, I deserve it. I used to post here, but have run hot and cold.....on the thread, and on Beck. But, I am assembling my Beck group.....an in-person user group. It is my only hope of getting the weight back off. I have 2 recruited..lost one....my first friend to sign on got a great new position and is moving. It will be tough staying in touch...she moves fast! lol

Hope to stay in touch with y'all.....I have great affection for those of you who have been faithful...for now, gotta run......am getting a special delivery and I am sooo excited! A pickup load of horse poop. Not just any horse poop..... well-AGED horse poop, and from my very own horse....lol...that otta work off some turkey!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #79  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Waving to MayrBlu

Hi MaryBlu,

Good to hear from you. You were one of the people into Beck when I first learned about her book and ordered it back in September 2007. You introduced me to the fact that Judith Beck is the daughter of Aaron Beck and that Cognitive Therapy was an OK idea. Thanks for helping me to get started.

And I believe it was you who brought Insalada Caprese to the boards. Also remember that you had many gardens that consumed much happy time.

So, I understand how a load of aged horse manure would be a thrill. When my DW got a few bag fulls from a friend a few months ago I never thought I'd seen her such a happy woman. All for some horse sh*t she loudly proclaimed. A whole pick up load would likely blow her circuits.

Good luck convening your Beck group. I do hope you continue to post here as you have time; it's a small posting group right now and we're all beginners finding our Beck way in the dark. Additional perspective is welcome.

Completed Beck Program-day 30. 12 to go. Keep going!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-24-2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #80  

Hello all,

Hey, Minnesota Maryblu-great you dropped in-These "simple"Beck exercises are tough to do every day but they are the basis of some real changes. So glad to hear about the latest "poop" about you. Stay in touch and chime in any time.

BliiBlueEyes-sound like a great Thanksgiving-all your preplanning worked. I am glad to read about your success. This is a spot to acknowlege and give your self credit-it can be kind of wierd with others-either thins don't understand and the unthin can feel criticized they didn't do the same. One is never sure what their response will be but you always deserve the credit. Maybe even beck's credit ideas is starting to get into my head-difficult at 1st but getting a bit easier. Yep, let go of the negative/undeserving feelings. Hey, when you are good you are good and You did Good!

Ann, I am such a firm believer in organizing the environment-This has been the key to my success-My home is filled with low cal, healthy, unprocess foods-It has been a hugh help. No more fooling my self that I'll get cookies of Dh-which I eat 3/4 and he gets 1/4 He continually forgets about the treats and I can't forget them. I still really flounder in food rich places. This is where I need to conquor desire and cravings.

We did another day of the fair we are doing very well-I think we may have a winner in this stuff. Now to find other good shows for us. It has been great fun.

I twisted my back about 2 days ago and have a great deal of pain. We have one more day at the fair and I really look forward giving the back a good rest-unsure of how because it hurts in all positions. We are eating the "wrong" stuff -purchased burritos because just can't fix dinner once we are home plus have some treats at the fair-a bit of self pity food. thanksgiving did go well-They had some tiny salad plate but my Dh put salad on half of plate along turkey and some green veggies.(BillBlueEyes-one of your ideas) I could not even move out of the chair due to my back. I brought a thermos of iced decaf black tea-I like the astrigentic taste of wine and this was the replacement. But the entire evening was truly great fun-I wasn't perfect but a vast improvement over other food affairs. I am learning but have not mastered the lessons.

due to pain, stress, excitement, a sense of being pushed (completing a lot of birdhouse in a short time period) and a holiday-I am may end up putting on a few lbs but they will be off by the end of next week. Today I was 2 lb up-every a couple 100 cals over my daily allotment does a lot of damage at the scales-
Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 31: Decide About drinking

from the Beck DIET Solution: (Available thru the 3FC Store) http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionad...216363-1799918
Quote:
Decide About Drinking

Drinking alcohol is an individual choice. If you want to fit drinking into your diet, you need to plan your alcohol intake in advance, just as you plan your food intake.

The Facts About Alcohol

Unfortunately alcohol contains calories – a lot. At 7 calories per gram, it’s nearly double as caloric, gram for gram, as protein and carbohydrates (both of which are about 4 calories per gram). Plus, most of the mixers that go into alcoholic drinks are highly caloric. One mixed drink can easily contain 400 calories.

Whatever you decide to do about alcohol is fine, as long as:
• You don’t skimp on food.
• You plan when and how much you’ll drink.
• You calculate beforehand how caloric the drink is.
• You don’t allow alcohol to lead to unplanned eating.
TIP: When you drink, notice and enjoy every sip. Drink slowly so it’ll last longer. As soon as you’ve finished your drink, order a no-calorie beverage, so you won’t be tempted to order another alcoholic beverage.
For me, I enjoy my favorite non-alcoholic beverages both at home and out. I know that I can always change my mind for special celebrations. And, the role of designated driver seems to be always welcome. YMMV.

Completed Beck Program-day 31. 11 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday of the long weekend

It still remains a challenge for me to give myself credit, as Beck would have us do. So I'll bask a second day in my choices for eating on Thanksgiving: I ate on plan at Thanksgiving Dinner, in a large group, with a huge buffet of tasty food. I tasted all the items that were special, for me, for the day. I avoided the foods that I could easily have again soon. I mindfully filled my plate and didn't have seconds (perhaps a lifetime first for Thanksgiving). CREDIT moi.

And, I took home a small serving of turkey so that I had my all time favorite thing: a left over turkey sandwich for lunch the next day. I decided to try making a "dressing", as mentioned on another thread. I planned cottage cheese and horseradish, but we were out of horseradish so I used garlic. It was interesting, but not a candidate for the county fair. Will try again with horseradish.

Did gym with a small increase in the number of repetitions in my chest press routine. CREDIT moi. Took a long walk and a short walk. CREDIT moi. Walked to the store after dinner for bananas for breakfast; found then on sale for $0.35/lb. and red bell peppers on sale for $0.99/lb. I was SOOOOOO happy. Amazes me how little it takes to make me happy, LOL.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - "Successes and accomplishments in both dieting and exercise". Thanks for posting the justification for me wallowing in congratulating myself.

"It is important to get rid of items you find difficult to resist and to stock your kitchen with healthy food." That works for me. When there are no oatmeal raisin cookies in my pantry, I don't crave them. When apples, soy nuts, and grapefruit are visible, that what I eat for snacks. Duh !!! If it takes reading a book by a Ph.D. for me to see the obvious, so be it. Oh, Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - So happy to hear the bird houses are being appreciated. Congratulations. And, the more they sell, the sooner you'll hit the road and make it to Boston.

Sorry to hear that your back continues to be a problem. I've been there, it's a big deal. I wish you well.

MaryBlu - It's hard for me to type "horseradish" and not think of your post. Thanks for the thoughtworm, LOL.

Readers - Thanksgiving is history. May you enjoy Saturday with on-plan eating, on-plan drinking, and on-plan exercise.

Completed Beck Program-day 31. 11 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #83  

Default Anytime!

MaryBlu - It's hard for me to type "horseradish" and not think of your post. Thanks for the thoughtworm, LOL.

Anytime, I can amuse, I am happy. Actually, horseradish is another passion of mine. The neighbors make the best.....we have been known to just eat it with a spoon! A teary process, but sooooooo good. I keep thinking that science will find some extra special health benefit for horseradish. For now, being a low fat alternative to mayo will have to suffice.

Sue: I hope you find some relief for your back pain. That is the worst.

I am looking forward to getting back on track with Beck. First, though, I have to finish The Omnivore's Dilemma. It certainly gets one thinking about the food supply and what we are eating. The way we are doing things makes no sense. I am to the hopeful part now and enjoying it immensely. I highly recommend it. It is by Micheal Pollan, and he is way cool.

P.S. The horse poop was as good as expected.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #84  

Hi guys,

I like horseradish-but the fresh stuff is really powerful -made some once and cried.

Good news-Back pain starting to lessen-now more stiff -trying to get a massage tomarrow. The craft fair went very well-better than I had hoped-so we have some ways to cope with the big increase in medical insurance monthly permiums. May even be able to take some trip-BillBlueEyes would love to get to Boston. Heard it is a great city. PS garlic and cottage cheese sounds a bit scary-

Bad new-no energy for pre planing and making meals and feeling hungry-other words a rather food overindulgent couple of days. Do know that this pattern is harmful so back to beck and 1500 cals tomarrow. I do so well in my home calm controlled environment-just got to improve those skills away from home and when we have guests.

Read your posting on Alcohol-Alcohol and sugar are interchangeable for me-all the same results. I actually can have an easier time measuring out 2-4 ozs of alcohol and stop than if I include any sugar in my diet, and they were selling some excellent fruit cake and started eating some. I then got the Oh Well-since I have already screwed up -just have a bit more.

Bananas are never down to .35 in our area- great deal-Someone said that the Nearest Safeway-over 55 miles away is the most expensive in the USA.

Oh Well to screwing up again and hello Beck and all the steps to gain control and lose weight starting tomarrow.

best to you all
sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 11-25-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

Arrow Completed Beck Program-day 32: Prepare for Travel

from the book, the Beck DIET Solution: (Available thru the 3FC Store) http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionad...216363-1799918
Quote:
Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, you can stay in control if you plan a strategy before you go.

Making a Travel Plan

About a week before your trip, create a diet strategy. I want you to think about this in advance so that you can remind yourself of it every day before you leave. … If your eating rules are too strict, you might get fed up and abandon your diet altogether. A better strategy might be one of the following:
• Allow yourself a few hundred extra calories every day. (This is what I do.)
• Follow your usual plan every day but add minor splurges on a few occasions.
• Follow your diet every day except for a splurge on the last day.
How Not to Gain Too Much
Exercise more.
Eat brunch instead of breakfast and lunch.
Carry food with you.
Use the strategies you’ve already learned.

During the Trip Home

Make your trip home your symbolic transition from vacation eating to dieting.

Plan what you’re going to eat for the rest of the day as well as tomorrow. Many dieters try to quickly undo their weight gain by overly restricting their eating when they return. Avoid this temptation because it will put you at risk for overeating within a few days.
Travel remains a challenge for me. The strategy, “add minor splurges on a few occasions,” tends to work for me, except when I fall for some food I’d NEVER eat at home. For example, last trip I accepted 6 chocolate mints after dinner from a grateful waitress who liked her tip (most of the other dinners were locals). Her gratitude didn’t constitute an obligation on my part, yet I ate all 6 like I had no choice.

On a recent trip, I ate about double what I wanted at a restaurant because it was inconceivable to me to leave food on my plate, and let it go to waste. For my three day trip starting Friday, my weapon for this is my new Response Card: Excess food is wasted if I toss it and wasted if I eat it. Choose my wasted.

I eat every snack offered by an airline, as if eating the processed, artificial, quasi-pretzels will offset the large $$$$ of the ticket. I'll even eat two when the flight isn't full and the cabin crew is handing out doubles. Planes are the only place I drink tomato juice, reveling in its good-for-me nutrition and good taste while ignoring the salt hit. Oh, well.

Completed Beck Program-day 32. 10 to go. Keep going!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday ending the 4 day weekend

I'm planning a three day trip starting this Friday, so will get a chance to work on the traveling strategies. Exercise tends to be difficult; I have a hard time breaking away to do some walking. I still haven't adopted a set of resistance routines, such as push ups, to do in my hotel room. Don't understand my resistance to doing that, but I just don't do it. I'll think about making that a Beck-style NO CHOICE item for this trip. hmmmmm.

Got in a nice walk with friends to see the winter ducks yesterday. All showed up as expected, as well as a Rough-legged Hawk, which isn't very common for me. We have lots of Red-tailed Hawks and many Coopers Hawks, but not so many Rough-legged Hawks. Also saw a Snipe fly right overhead; that's another not very common site for me.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Great news that you back pain is starting to lessen. And great news about your bird house sales.

Maybe some of the tips in Program-day 32 will be helpful when you are planning your next crafts fair. Sounds like a crafts fair combines tension, fun, lack of food choices, and being tired all at once. Easy to see that it's a difficult situation to plan.

By, the by, what size hole do you drill for the entrance? Do you design as a nesting box for a specific species?

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Waving. Hope your Thanksgiving was a joy and that you're recovering in style.

MaryBlue - I'm really glad I read The Omnivore's Dilemma. It serves as a Beck-like reminder to me that I don't want to go near a typical fast food place. The section on the good foods made me very happy, even though we don't tend to buy the nationally distributed organic fruits and vegetables. (We buy the local stuff that is very low spray, near-organic.)

How do you make horseradish sauce? I didn't know anyone did that. We run out because DW says that it spoils before we consume the whole jar, so she tends not to buy it until she has a recipe that calls for it.

Readers - May your Sunday be peaceful.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #87  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning,

Sue I do hope your back pain goes away completely. It is great your birdhouses are doing so well.

Maryblu, Hello and it is nice to read your posts.

Bill, when you go on holidays, is there a treadmill you could use or could you walk stairs to get your walking in. I remember one vacation I went on, they told us not to venture too far from the hotel by ourselves so I ran around the outside of the hotel. The staff thought this was the funniest thing they had ever seen.

Week 2
Day 8 - Make Time

Losing weight takes time and energy.
Exercise 30 minutes three times a week.
This is the day you make a sample daily Schedule and a Priority Chart.
I think this may be useful. I don't feel like doing it. I will refer to response card one.....Do it anyway.

On the sabotaging thought I was thinking, I would rather let things happen as they do instead of planning.

Helpful Response: I have to learn the skill of scheduling now in preparation for more hectic times.....this is so true, if I have a plan I can get through anything.

Day 9 Get moving

commit in writing to make exercise a priority

I always thought you needed to exercise for at least 30 minutes at once.

The truth is five minutes is better than no minutes

Day 10 Set achievable goals

It is better to set goals that you will reach rather than setting goals that seem so far off. The example is to lose 5 pounds. That seems more attainable than to lose 50 pounds

have a wonderful day everyone

Ann
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #88  

Default Full Monday, all!

It's not Black Monday, nor Monday, Monday, for most of us wayword types, it is simply "Full Monday" coming up. I actually hardly ate anything today; just feel bloated. I know that a big part of that is the insideous sodium laced into everything processed. It really is a health threat. If something causes the body to retain water, that is a defensive response; inflammation is no good.

I am ready to be compliant ...will report on my success with Fat Smash as plan A. I have to start something, and I like the detox part of the original Fat Smash. I felt great on it.

I know I am not supposed to dive right in, but I have to. I am just feeling too stuffed.

BillBlue, I probably should not have said horseradish sauce. What they do is simply to grind their own root and their secret ingredient is a touch of honey. As I under stand it, the grinding process is quite ..shall we say, "harsh"? Teary process. No problem with it spoiling at my house; it goes on everything 'til it's gone.

Good thoughts to you all.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #89  

Hi guys,

thanks for the support on the back-still rather painful but did have a great massage-she really isolated one long muscle in the back that is strained and full of knotts. With more time it will get better.

Ann, so true about planning when things get more hectic-One of my biggest downfall-always do well at home when doing my regular schedule-
My dieting success is the inverse of how busy things are in my life and/or cooking for company. This is really slows my down to get this weight off quicker. I was really thinking about would to do next time-Make a hugh pot of some lower cal dish-chili con carne or gumbo-Have that ready versus buying a burrito. Being too tired to cook is death to my planned meals.

BillblueEyes-good luck on your trip. I wish I could offer some wise advice on why one overeats, eats the wrong stuff, even eat stuff you don't really like and normally never would touch. I feel so trapped on planes-sit this tiny confined space with my knees in pain, trying to barely use the arm rest and smelling that stale air-in that mode I am likely to eat any place in front of me to lessen the tension and/or especially Boredom. This all follows hours waiting in a number of lines to get processed in one way or another. That whole hurry up and wait thing. Truly it all is just a hugh pain.

I really feel that Beck is hard to do all the time and everywhere-Not that isn't worth the effect, but it truly takes increditable effort. I get thrown by the unexpected-the nice gesture of waitress was a surprise after you likely worked at having not bread, butter not dessert-My mind would go how nice of her, that was a fun thing to do-I focus on her actions and then I do the "automatic" eating of the candy. It kind of gets under my radar.

It is real art to catch all of our sabotaging thoughts. When things are hectic and I need to get alot done, I am more focused on what is happening around me than what is happening IN ME. I also feel I have decades of using food as quick easy reward-The kid in me would have immediately gone GoodyGoody at the sight of the unexpected candy. My pattern is to rewarded myself for doing long hard tasks with foods.. It is tough to replace food with positive self talk. Even an old McDonald's phrase was You deserve a break today-I don't think they meant a nap.

Good Luck and let me know things that work for you.

We do make the birdhouse for a number of nesting birds here in Northern Cal coast. We have alot of titmouses, bluebirds, wrens, and ckickadees. There are specific guidelines for the size of the hole, the cavity, and location for the hole. We also have some red tail hawks in our area-we can see the cormorants get fish from the ocean and take off with them.

MaryBlu I want to read that book also-ordering from the library.

sue
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up "Full Monday"

Got a haircut when didn't want to do anything else - that's a good Beck strategy put in practice. Ate and walked on plan close enough. CREDIT moi. But had two incidents that catch me by surprise.

At a coffee hour on Sunday, I cut up some Entemann's coffee cake and put it out. Didn't sample. Didn't take a serving. However, when the empty platter returned to the kitchen to be washed, instead of dumping the crumbs, I ate them. I just stuffed them into my mouth. Not that many calories, but just SO unnecessary, SO unplanned, SO out of control. That's a challenge for me to work.

A similar thing happened while shopping at Whole Foods. They cut open a whole 80 pound wheel of Parmesan cheese - a spectacular event with much fanfare and great smells and ooohs and aaaahs from the crowd. They offered samples with a fine pear preserve. Really tasty, and on my food plan to eat samples of unusual or expensive foods. BUT, I went back and had seconds. Again, the calories are easily absorbed as my afternoon snack, slightly large. But, it annoys me because taking seconds in NOT on plan. Oh, Well.

MaryBlu - Thanks for the title for my post today. I share your feeling about the aftermath of too much processed foods. But, I don't think about it, perhaps because I don't have a name for it. Can you think of a name for "processed foods blah?"

Looking forward to hearing about Fat Smash; I know nothing about it but am positively prejudiced because of the neat name. "Calorie Smash" just doesn't do it, LOL.

I may try the grinding horseradish route, if I can get my DS interested. He's the most tolerant to food heat in our family.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL at you walking around the hotel. I once stayed in a hotel in Los Angeles where they didn't recommend walking outside. Kinda creepy feeling. The treadmill is a good idea; it would be a change of pace for me.

Making Time is becoming an issue for me. I keep adding things to my life and feel squeezed. It's about making choices and dealing with the childish notion that just because I'm capable of thinking of more than 24 hours worth of stuff a day, that makes me different and in need of more time. Making time is about making choices.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Useful insight for me there: the unexpected grabs me. Thanksgiving Dinner was an easy success because I planned it for a week in advance. The mints offered by the waitress came with no time to plan a response, and my automatic response was to eat FREE food. Yes, working the Beck strategies "always and everywhere" is a challenge. I'm going to put some extra effort into identifying unexpected situations so that I can work out some strategies to respond.

Your nesting boxes sound so cool. I'd love to have a Bluebird box. Probably because I'd love to have a meadow that attracted Bluebirds. In my current yard, a Bluebird box would hang, unused, right next to the wistful-thinking-hummingbird-feeder.

Readers - "Full Monday". Full life.

Closed Thread