Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #1  
Looking for the real me

S/C/G: 201/193/140

Height: 5'9

Default How much is safe to lose in a week?

I want to make sure that I am setting healthy goals and being healthy about the weight loss.

I want to set a goal for myself to lose and X amount of pounds by thanksgiving. But I have NO idea what that should be.

I am at 193 and want to get to 140-135 ultimatly. I have been "dieting" for 9 days and have lost 8 pounds so far.

Can you give me any ideas?

Thanks!
Beegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Initially you lose more right away because it is a lot of water weight. Usually between 1-2 pounds per week is considered "safe". What method are you using?
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I believe "goal by" dates are generally a bad idea. If at any point you lag behind your goal schedule, you can become tempted to do unhealthy things to "catch up." Also, your weight is not under your direct control. If you stick to your food and exercise plan perfectly, you can't guarantee that your weight will be x, y, or z.

Instead, I would suggest a goal that you have complete control over. Sticking to your food plan, exercising x minutes, y times per week, drinking z ounces of water daily.... In other words, rewared "actions" not "results," because "results" happen on their own.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Its hard to guess a number for weekly weight losses. The conservative medical opinion is 1-2 pounds a week....we hear it over and over again. The reality is that depending on your metabolism, your age, your activity level,...your current size...you could potentially lose 3-5 pounds a week. Or, your body could be like mine and you only lose 1/2 - 1 1/2 per week...or nothing at all. At this point, I wouldnt worry too much about the scales. The number on the scales is not always a good indicator of your efforts...ie. water fluctuations, muscles growth, etc. If you focus on eating healthy and limiting your calorie consumption and getting more exercise, the weight will come off.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-24-2007 at 02:26 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #5  
Looking for the real me

S/C/G: 201/193/140

Height: 5'9

You guys rock! Thanks.

Right now I am just trying to be very consitious of what I am eating, making a effort to exercize, and drinking water. I am loosly following WW. I have tired doing WW to the T before and I couldn't do it. I have eaten healthier in the last week then I have in MONTHS. I am really enjoying this
Beegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200.2/115

Height: 5'6"

A co-worker said her diet is a secret and she is loosing about 7-10 a week. She will not say but she is almost starving her self if you ask me.
carlskl is offline   Reply With Quote