Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #91  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies and Dan!!!

Felicia….I am sooo happy for you. What a great neighbor. You know, I have a neighbor that mentioned that we ought to walk together last summer, and I never took her up on it. Maybe I ought to. Really though, I am so happy for you. And on being cold, when I was a thinner me, I used to get sooo cold that I had to wear long johns all winter long. I am kinda looking forward to those days again………..I think.

Oh, Kim……..you never fail to make me laugh……I so missed you J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimphin View Post
Oh, the poor girl. Is there nothing you can do to change her mind about being a CPA? (... that's what I am)
Amylou…….you are right…….it is time to weigh and measure everything……and NO BLT’s. It is funny how those little things can be enough to stall you………also……..sometimes your body just needs a bit of time to catch up with your brain. I have to tell you………when you mentioned having just a little bit of apple pie, I smiled to myself and thought……..oh hooray, Amy is going to make it…..all the way!!! I have a feeling we are looking at another Kristen, or Kim, or Barbara, or Dan, or any of the other LAWLers that just kept pushing on without any major screw ups. I am so happy for you, you have really, “changed your mind,” and that is what makes one successful on LAWL. WTG!!!!

Barbara……I too was thinking of your daughter’s college expenses…….and man, I am soo not prepared for that. DH and I both put ourselves through college, and we are still paying for it……..so I am super unsure how we want to handle college expenses. Luckily, our kids are brilliant, so I am hoping for some scholarships……but man, I just don’t know what we will do. You kids are lucky to have you helping them so much with college.

Lynn………I guess I didn’t realize you had two sons………and wow, that must have been rough putting them through that much school. Two lawyers, huh? Are there a lot of lawyers in your family?

Lorrie……good job making it through Day1 of FF…….I will hope that today goes quick for you J

Kristen…….I swear, we are like twins lately J I was up almost 8 pounds since just before my Germany trip. I am now only 6 pounds up (after FF), and I am doing the regular old plan today. I may join you in the plat buster next week, but we’ll see how everything is going. I am expecting TOM today….so I am really hoping next week is better sclae wise. The good thing is…….my attitude is better…….and that is the only way this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni135 View Post
Here's my question to all of you parents - do you feel obligated to pay for your child's entire college education? I can see helping out, but I've never understood why parents feel it is there obligation to fund X number of years of college. My brother took out massive loans so his son could earn his master's degree to teach college English. At one point my brother wanted me to co-sign on one of the loans and I said, sorry, no can do (his wife and I don't get along and I can easily see her leaving me with that bill)! My college tuition (in state) was paid by state scholarships, put on master card, and at some point when I really couldn't afford it, I postponed my education, went to work full time, and my employee reimbursed a great deal of my tuition. It took 10 years to get my undergrad and I never had to take out any loans. Of course, I'm talking 30 years ago, but the point I'm making is I hope that the parents are making themselves and their retirement a first priority over funding their child's long-term education. In the end, I think if they help pay for it, they appreciate it a lot more!
Thank you, Joni……I could just kiss you. The fact that you were in college a few years back only shows me that your determination was strong. I think it was more difficult to afford college years ago, as it held different priorities. It was perfectly acceptable (and still is in many areas) and lucrative to have a trade or be a laborer and make a good living. Today…….things are just weird. Almost seems like those that work the hardest get paid the least. Sometimes I feel like we are raising a nation of spoiled rotten brats. But, that being said, after visiting Germany and finding out that 4 year college is FREE (for the most part) to all students……..I wondered why things were so different in our country. Anyway….I said earlier that DH and I both put ourselves through school, and although I hate making that loan payment……it has given us a sense of, oh I don’t know, ownership of our successes in life. I didn’t decide to go to college until I was 20 and already out of the house. It never occurred to me to ask my parent for $$$ for college. I think I just figured I had missed the opportunity cuz I had been out of the house for over 2 years. DH went to Milwaukee School of Engineering….and let’s just say, being a private school, it is quite pricey. He was raised by a single mom, and his grandparents helped out with some of his college expenses, but he has a ton of loans too. When I think about how we will afford college for our kids……I kind of don’t want to foot the bill completely. I had a friend whose parents paid for half of everything, and she was required to work and pay the other half. I am considering this. It was a lot more difficult for her to fail a class knowing that SHE would have to pay for half of it again. I don’t know though, and I reserve the right to change my mind when my kids go to college. I have learned over the last 18 years of parenting to believe in my parenting philosophy, AND to leave room for change when new info becomes available.

I have to agree with the others, Tina……..you look incredible. I am so proud of you (even though I hate you cuz you are probably going to win the chicks to the finish challenge….:roflJ.

Lettie……..I can sooooo relate to your inner struggle on to work or not to work. Let me just say this………if you feel good there……if you loved it………GO FOR IT. While I was kind of looking for work a few months ago, I never got that feeling…..and I have since put that idea on hold. This job sounds perfect for you. If anyone can do it, you can. You have special skills that many do not. They will be lucky to have you J And, if it gets to be too much working and managing your home……..well then you will change things. Changing things cuz your family comes first is a way different story than quitting a job cuz it was too much for you.

Liz………..fabulous attitude. Your sclae will quit being an a$$ soon. I can fluctuate up to 4 pounds from day to day. Keep working, it WILL pay off J

Emily……….WTG getting through FF. It is tough, but it truly does make you appreciate all of the wonderful foods that are on plan.

Krista………WTG on your fab loss. Keep it up!!!

Felicia……I just love the sound of, “one of my water fairies…….”. It is just adorable.

Liza…….stay safe.

Ok……..I ate some wonderful strawberries with my breakfast….and I totally felt like I was cheating after two days of FF. I am not still watching toons, but I did sleep in this a.m. I got up to get Emily and Bethany off to school (they both have to get up really early), and when I got back from bringing Emily at 6:45, I told DH I was going back to bed and I was staying there until 10:00 a.m. Well, my wish came true…..he stayed home this a.m. with the boys and I slept like a rock. When he came in to wake me at 10:00 I felt like he woke me from the dead. It felt soooo good to sleep. My DH rarely does things like that…….so I almost flipped. I am going to try to rest, Katy, LOL, today, but it is sooo hard to do so. I am feeling a bit better. I hate getting sick. I rarely get sick, so I have no patience for it. Oh well. Thanks for all of your well wishes J

Now, stay OP, would ya?
XOXO
P.S. Yes, I realize it is no longer morning.........oops.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #92  

Height: 5'2"

Just a note - Nicole, there are only 2 attorneys in our family and they are our sons. I am not surprised that they went to law school, if I had got back to school, it would have been law school.

I did not have any help from my parents for my college costs. My parents did not have the resources and by the time I was going to college they were in their 60's. I always say that I went to college by accident. I did what my friends were doing and they were going to college. When I was a sophomore in high school a counselor told me that he did not think that I could afford college because my grades were not high enough for scholarships and my parents could not help me out. You know how it is when someone tells you that they think you cannot do something, you have to prove them wrong. I saved money by going to a two year school and lived at home and then transferred to UW Madison and graduated.

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #93  
Post-Master

How funny, Lynn Good for you though. Real nice high school counselor...lol.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Nicole, You'll most likely help them as much as you can. Even if all you can do is let them live at home while they are studying, that can really help them out. Tuition has gone up so much over the years, way more than inflation. Text books are so expensive these days too. It is not unusual for a single text book to be 200$. I was shocked by that. My daughter has worked since she was 16, first at Burgerville (serving burgers with love as it says on their name tags, which I teased her about). Nothing motivated my DD more to go to school than a few months of asking if you wanted fries with that. So she has paid part of the costs of school herself. She also got a partial scholarship. So to her, she has ownership, even if it is just a small fraction.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #95  
LAWL Salt Police

Hi everyone...

Liza.. The New Mexico Cavalry is coming! I just got back from seeing off 10 fire trucks and 40+ firefighters who are now headed your way. I've had a couple of requests to head out there too, but my schedule is such that I wouldn't be able to fulfill a two week committment.. If they're agreeable to let me come out just for a week, I may do so, but it doesn't look likely...

Felicia.. Too funny... We've all had days like that.. Take heart!!

NSV today... I was out at our fire mobilization center pretty early and it was cold.. And what goes better on a cold morning than a hot breakfast burrito.. But I reisisted the urge and in fact, grabbed a salad and a pint of strawberries from Wild Oats instead.. I've been a up a bit lately thanks to straying off the path, but I'm still below goal, so I'm ok for now...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #96  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Well No WI for me this morning. I have got a bad case of something. Its like allergies, and sinuses, and hot flashes.. Pre-flu maybe? Hope not, but I thought the scale was being a little harsh this morning so I went back to bed. I usually am at the COD when they first open at 9 but I was not feeling it today. So I am staying in until I have to go to school tonight.

Its finally raining here! Its rained the past 2 days and is supposed to continue til Saturday! Hip hip hoooray! I think last week VA was declared in a state of emergency due to the drought, so I started gettin' a little scared!

Speaking of school, I have to brag for a moment, (please excuse me), But I had a Lab Practical on Monday night which accounted for 25% of my Anatomy grade and I made a 94%! Thanks be to God! I was so excited!

Liza- You and everyone in that situation are in my prayers. I was watching Fox last night and they were showing the live feed of the fires and I was wishing I could just grab a water hose and spray it through the t.v.!!! I pray this weekend brings some rain and humidity for you all!

Hope everyone has a good day!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #97  
SkinnyMini-to-Be :)

S/C/G: 200/check the ticker/130

Kimberly- What are you in school for, and how long do you have left? I was jumping up and down yesterday over a 93 on a Statistics2 test. Isn't it amazing how happy rain can make you? Alabama has been in the highest level of drought for months now and it rained for the past 2 days here too
EmilyLashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #98  
SkinnyMini-to-Be :)

S/C/G: 200/check the ticker/130

Quick Question- ...Does everyone that does WI do the recommended 3x a week? I only go once a week, and they are always on me about it but I can't make myself go to COD more than that, especially with the counselors that I have...
EmilyLashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #99  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Emily - I am in Nursing, but right now I am taking Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology and Medical Terminology. I have got 2 years left, I just started in January. And I am so happy about the weather, I would go PLAY in the rain if I wasn't sick! lol My COD was so busy that they cut us down to 2 WI per week, which was FINE with me. Now I only go on Weds and Sat.

And NICOLE - My avatar is back, and I added a bigger more recent pic of my lil man on my profile!

Last edited by bradleys mom; 10-24-2007 at 03:46 PM.
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #100  
Post-Master

oh my goodness......that is one cute baby, Kimberly!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #101  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Nicole you are one to talk about cute babies!

I went shopping today after work and bought salmon, salad and veggies.. and bags of Halloween candy. they are safely ensconced in the closet.. thou shalt not touch! Hope to see the dang sclae move move move

Hope you are all having a good, on plan week. I'm on day 3 of being a VERY good girl.. whew.. body is starting to feel like mine again. Funny thing is my gain made me feel exactly like I did 60lbs ago.. YUCKY! A taste of the good life made me quick to get back on track! Looking forward to hearing about all our great successes this week.. we have one RE motivated vibe going on!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #102  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

A quick lunchtime checkin before I leave work for class!

Nicole-thank you so much for keeping me motivated. I have definitely cheated-but I am definitely in this for the long haul! Thanks for being the best cheerleader!

Liza- I wasn't sure how this compared to 2003 as far as homes lost. So glad to hear it is less and that the notifications are reaching people. That is great news. Hang in there-I'm sure you are runnin on empty about now.

Barbara- I say good for you and DH for being financially disciplined and being able to afford college. My parents did not put away for my education and unfortunately I insisted on going to a private school that was way too much money. Part of me wishes that my parents would have put their foot down and made me go to a public school. In the long run it was not worth the $$$$$$. BUT what's done is done and we both will be paying for it for a while. I kept my end of the bargain by getting into a good law school and am paying for that on my own. I promised them that I had a plan...and so far I've followed through! My hope is to be able to make thier retired lives very comfy as a way of saying thank you. Sounds like your DD is obviously on the fast tack-so it sounds like you've made a worthy investment!

ok---gotta get to class!!

Hope everyone has had a POP day!! We can do this!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Amy, I'm sure your folks had discussions with you about the costs, as I did with my DD. Well, only 2 years later and I think what I said sunk in somewhat. LOL.

I went and had lunch with my DD. We went to Olive Garden (I resisted the bread sticks). Anyway, that was my starches and fat for the day for sure. It sure was yummy though. We had a nice time and got her application to the new school all filled out.

I think I really may have to really do that plateau buster instead of just talk about doing it.

Kimberly, you sound very busy to take that many classes with a little one at home too. Congrats on the good grades in anatomy.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 207.6/196.6/145

Nicole, My DD is paying half of her tuition. She is working 20 hours a week and as far as I know she is doing well. She is a freshman. She is young. She was 17 the end of April and I was worried about. We are making her car payment, paying her insurance, and $155 a month for braces. Plus I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do in life and kept thinking one more degree would make me happy but it just got me deeper in dept. If I wanted the headaches, i could make double the money but not ready for that and a teenager. Anyway, I am still paying loans. I told her she was going to have to get a loan we couldn't do any more and she ask if we would pay half if she paid half. Thank God the college she is going to breaks it down into 3 payments each semester so it doesn't totally break the bank. I think she is working harder due to the fact she is paying but it could be her personality too. You can only do what you can do. My parents couldn't pay my way through when I was younger. She couldn't get the lottery scholarship because she didn't score enough on entrance exam. They wouldn't take her grades because her last 2 years were from a private school. That ticked me off. But after she completes one year of college they will take those grades so maybe then she will get some help. Got to go, hubby is getting ready to pick up someone at airport and can't find something.
Kim0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #105  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Congrats to Kimberly and Emily on your awesome grades!

and a big congrats to Barbara for resisting the breadsticks at OG! HUGE NSV!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote