Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #1  
maiat

S/C/G: 174/147/123

Height: 5'2"

Default New Versions Of Old Favorites!

I am trying "Spaghetti Squash" tonight in order to diversify. I plan to put sauce over the squash with ground turkey added instead of beef, skim mozz as my dairy and I plan to broil a whole wheat english muffin (7 grams of fiber) to use as garlic bread. I am hoping it will be a good substitute for pasta with garlic bread on the side!
maiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #2  
maiat

Oh yeah, and I forgot to ask if others would mind sharing the ways they have "updated" their old favorites for the new healthy lifestyle. I always do better with variety, so any suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.
Maia
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #3  
Plan #3-no lites

S/C/G: 198/179/150

Height: 5'5"

Do you have a recipe for "Spaghetti Squash"? I've heard a lot about it but I don't know how to make it or can you buy it?
KSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #4  
maiat

I have made it before, but it has been a long time ago. From what I remember, you cut the squash in half, and de-seed. Then you add about a cup of water in the bottom of a pyrex pan and put the squash face (cut side)down in the pan. Put the pan in the oven on 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until the squash is SOFT) Whenever I make any kind of squash I can tell when it is done because I am able to stick a fork thru the skin easily.
The squash will absorb the water, so depending on the oven, you may need to add more so the squash won't burn. After the spaghetti squash is done you take a fork and shred it onto a plate. Amazingly, it comes out in long strings about the size and shape of spaghetti! I like it b/c it is considered a veggie (unlike the acorn or butternut which are considered a starch). I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Maia
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Maia

That is exactly the way I cook it. I heard you can poke holes in it and cook it whole, but I like the way you said because you end up with a huge quantity coming out of 1/2 and then all you have to do is cover the rest of it with (I use a disposable shower cap that I buy in the dollar store - 8 for $1.00). It stays in the refrigerator for a good 4 - 5 days that way.

I also steam zucchini and toss it in there with some chopped tomatoes. I add my shrimp or grilled chicken cut up (protein) Add some seasoning and grated parmesean cheese (dairy) and it is yummy. Like a casserole.

Another favorite of mine, now that fall is here, is to take a package of instant oatmeal and cut 1 tsp of margarine in it. I take a corning ware type of little pan and spray the bottom, put in my serving of fresh or frozen raspberries or blackberries. Pat the oatmeal mix on top and bake it in the toaster oven until the top bubbles (you can see the raspberries bubbling through). It is delicious, hot or cold. You can spoon some yogurt on top. YUMMMMMMM. You can make a big dish of it and spoon it out into individual containers for a breakfast or lunch to-go. You can even sprinkle nuts (fat) on the top.

Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #6  

I have a great new verison of an old favorite!

I just bought Alissa Cohen's book Living on Live Food and made her Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce.

The sauce is out of this world! I swear it tastes like it was cooked for hours. If you didn't know, Alissa is a raw fooder. I got into raw food because I heard that I can eat whatever I want when I want without counting calories or fat grams. Seriously, after being on Weight Watchers most of my life, that sounded good to me!

I'm 2 weeks raw and have lost 7lbs!!! There are tons of recipes in this book. She also has some freebies on her website Alissa Cohen dot com

Check it out ladies! I am loving it!

Tracy
TracyMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #7  

These ideas sound really good. I am saving them in my LAWL recipe folder on my computer. Then when I am looking for things to change up my meals, there they are. Thanks you two.

I am making vegetarian chili tonight from the LAWL cookbook. I had about 7 smallish tomatoes from my garden to use up and then I added a can of low sodium stewed tomatoes to the mix. I am anxious to see how it turns out.

My old favorite that I changed up and have quite often for breakfast is an oatmeal pancake. It is just 1 egg (or 1/2 cup egg beaters) mixed into 1/4 cup dry oatmeal plus 1 tsp splenda and 1/4 tsp baking powder. Let the mixture sit a few minutes until the pan heats up. I make it into one pancake, but you can make it into several smaller ones. Serve with syrup or jam or 1 tsp splenda on top. I also like to add blueberries on top for my fruit.
On the numbered plans, this counts as 1/2 P, 1 S.

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Default Could you post the recipe for the sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyMae View Post
I have a great new verison of an old favorite!

I just bought Alissa Cohen's book Living on Live Food and made her Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce.

The sauce is out of this world! I swear it tastes like it was cooked for hours. If you didn't know,
Tracy
Tracy - could you share the recipe? I checked out alissacohen.com and was not sure which one you were talking about. Thanks
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #9  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i love to make my own apple cinnamon oatmeal by taking an apple (1 fruit) and cutting it up, putting it in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray, sprinkle with cinnamon and a few packets of splenda. once the apples are cooked a bit add 1 tsp of lite margerine (fat) and if you'd like 1 tsp of brown sugar. then make a serving of quick oats (plain) (starch) sprinkled with cinnamon and then once cooked put the warm apples on top.
it's so yummy and super filling. and it's a healthier version of the flavored instant kind of oatmeal...actually BETTER!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #10  
maiat

Thanks you guys! I can see myself making ALL of these. Keep 'em comin'!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/171.8/150

Height: 5feet 4inches

I used to boil my spagahetti squash but last night i put in the oven, like suggested and wow, what a difference. Was much more like spaghetti, boiling it just turns it mushy! Thanks for the tip!
!
QueenLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #12  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

All You spagetti squash cookers, do you think it would cook in the microwave like a baked potatoe? Sounds like it would. I would like to try one, maybe tonight.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #13  
maiat

I bet it would! Just be sure to cut it in half and poke holes in it with a knife first so that it doesn't explode (same as a potato). Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #14  
maiat

Oh! I made a new version of an old favorite yesterday. In the store, next to the Boboli (sp?) pizza crusts, there are whole wheat, thin crust pizza crusts. I used Healthy Choice sauce (just a bit of spaghetti sauce and not actual pizza sauce), onion, baby spinach, tomato, black olives for my fat, browned ground turkey with lots of spices, banana peppers for one of my condiments, and skim mozz. It was really yummy. DH loved it!