Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #1  

Default I crave routine

I love this program.
However I was a lifetime member of weight watchers at one time.
For some reason my mind still calculates points for what I am eating from time to time. I need to ditch the old way of thinking and do only LA.
Lets just say I love eating the same meals. I don't get bored. I could live on egg beaters and cottage cheese for quick dinners and super fast breakfast
amy2liz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #2  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I am the same way--and you can look at it from different views. LAWL says to vary your menu so you don't get bored or complacent. Some say vary it because your body can adapt too easily (not sure I totally buy into this--historically--people have never had this much variety to choose from) and then my favorite--Dr. Oz--he says if you eat the same thing it's better because the more variety you throw in the more likely you are to overeat. I am a creature of habit and when I was hardcore LAWL it was not unusual for my breakfast and lunch to be almost the same thing everyday and it worked fine for me. I am hoping once school starts I can get back into that old routine. Like every other aspect of this plan--everyone is different and when (if we are lucky) we find what works for us we have to go with it.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #3  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Lea Ann - I didn't know that about Dr. Oz....here I am trying to get variety and do the right thing.....there are just too many weight loss theories. I think the important thing is to get in your exchanges (fruits, veggies, proteins, fats, carbs), keep calories at a level that you lose weight, and exercise.

Amy2Liz - many of us have been on WW (some, like me, many times). When I decided to do LAWL it was because WW just wasn't working for me anymore. I did the point system and wasn't getting the right mix of nutrition. I certainly know now what I should be eating...it's doing it everyday that seems to be giving me a problem.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #4  
on LAWL

Joni--pg. 180 of You on a Diet: some paraphrasing.
Pick and stick: Variety may be the spice of life, but it also can be the death of dieting. When you have a lot of choices for a meal, it's a lot easier to slip out of good eating habits and into bad ones. One way to get away from fat bombs is to eliminate choices for at least one meal a day. Pick the one meal you rush through most and automate it. For most people it's lunch. So find a healthy lunch you like--and have it for lunch every day. Yes, every day.
More and more research is showing that putting a cap on the variety of foods and tastes you experience will help you control your weight. It seems that when you have meals rich in flavor variety, it takes more and more calories to keep you full. We don't wan you to become bored with food, but if you make this a habit for at least one meal a day, it'll decrease your temptations and help you stop thinking about food so often. We usually prescribe two meals that are the same each day for our patients. It's one of the ways to automate your brain so that your habits follow.

I guess this could work for some (me) and not for others--just like anything.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #5  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

I can understand the "old habits" coming into play. I was pretty into low carb all through college and thought it worked so well that it was the only diet I could do! But, I came on this site, and listened to Casi, who said, "Don't fight the program!"
So I almost felt like I shut my eyes and blindly followed the LAWL rules for a few weeks and low and behold-the weight was dripping off! I couldn't believe I could have carbs! Pasta? Tortillas? What??? But now I realize they have this down to a science (which is why I'm scared to finally get the new plan in a week or so) but once you find the right plan and do it, it really has to work.

My dbf is constantly giving me a raised eyebrow as I try to get all of my food in. I have to answer, "Yes, this is on my diet!" And the results don't lie. If you are honset with yourself in following this and truly being POP it has to work!
As for routine-I love routine but if that combo isn't working for me I have no choice but to change it up.
GOOD LUCK!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #6  

so very cool! I hate variety
amy2liz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #7  
Heather - East TN

S/C/G: 190.8/153.7/150.8

Height: 5' 7"

I'm with you guys on this one! One problem with Weight Watchers point system for me was that I was given a "budget" of 25 points to spend however I wished. Now, I know that's not what the plan intended, but that was how I viewed it. So I tended to cram in as much food as I could and ended up hungry all the time because I was eating empty calories. With LAWL, I know what to eat but don't have to count calories, fat, carbs, fiber, etc. That's all done. I'm still pretty new so I spend a lot of time each day planning my meals for the next day. I kept trying to move this protein here or that starch there and my DH pointed out that the intent is for the plan to change me, not for me to change the plan. Boy, that hit home! Reading your posts just now made me realize that one thing I can do to reduce my urge to change it all up is to take away some of that variety and lock in what I eat for breakfast and lunch, at least on weekdays. And, think of all the time I'll save by not having to try to come up with something new to eat every day! Whoo hoo!
Heather115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #8  
on LAWL

Heahter--I agree--I need "no thinking" meals and breakfast and lunch are easy during school.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/171.8/150

Height: 5feet 4inches

I agree - save the "exciting" stuff for special occasions. Day to Day - should be just that, day-to-day....otherwise, we LOOK forward to eating much more than we should!
QueenLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #10  
Heather - East TN

S/C/G: 190.8/153.7/150.8

Height: 5' 7"

You are exactly right, Lucia! Eating has always been the high points of the day for me. "What's for breakfast? When's lunch? Where are we going? I need a snack!" I commented to somebody the other day that being on LAWL had taken the pleasure out of eating - like that was a bad thing! It's really not. I shouldn't be eating for entertainment! Thanks for the insight!
Heather115 is offline   Reply With Quote