Kashi Go Lean Hot Cereal

• I was just wondering if anyone has tried this Kashi go lean instant hot cereal?
    I was shopping yesterday and Kashi go lean crunch was on my list, I like making my trail mix with this. I came across this right by the cereal near the oatmeal section I don't know how I have ever missed this. I had this for breakfast this morning with my 2 hard boiled eggs and it was to die for!! I bought the truly vanilla flavor because it had less sugar and it was incredible. Something hot for me for breakfast is always a plus especially since I can make it in the microwave at work without having to bring out a pan.
    Calories 150
    fat 2 g
    sodium 100 mg
    potassium 250 mg
    carbohydrate 25 g
    fiber 7 g
    sugar 6g
    protein 8 g

Compared to Kashi Go Lean Crunch
    calories 190
    fat 3 g
    sodium 95 mg
    potasssium 300 mg
    carbohydrate 36 g
    fiber 8 g
    sugars 13 g
    protein 9 g

I think I will be having the hot cereal a little more often than the cereal. I would appreciate any comments anyone has about this.
  • I have and while I liked the numbers, it didn't taste very good to me. The consistency seemed wrong somehow. I will probably mix it into regular oatmeal until it's gone.
  • Hi Nanette,
    I was told by my COD not to use the Kashi Go Lean Hot cereal. It is not on the approved list of cereals. I still have some sitting in my cupboard. If I have any doubts about what to use, I bring in the nutritional information into the COD and have them check it for me.
  • I have been thinking about my response and I think that I can give you a more complete explanation.
    Here is the problem with the Go lean instant hot cereal. Fiber One equals 1 starch and has a recommended serving size of 3/4 cup, calories 90. The hot Go lean is almost twice the calories.
    So the instant Go lean is the equivalent of almost 2 starches as compared to Fiber One.
    Compared to the recommended calories for 1 slice of whole grain bread (40-45calories per slice) it is almost 4 starches.
    Bottom line is that this is not going to help you lose weight.
    Before I started LAWL I loved to use the instant flavored oatmeals, but they are not on the plan either.
    Maybe if you ate one half of the packet, you could call it 1 starch, but with the prep-packaged instant cereals that is hard to do and probably not enough cereal to make it worthwhile.
    Additionally, the Go Lean Crunch numbers that you listed above are for 1 cup, but the serving size listed in the new program books is 1/2 cup.
  • Lynn-
    Thank you so much for your advice I guess my husband will be eating kashi hot cereal until it is gone, you have saved me from gaining weight. I can't thank you enough. I should of known something I really enjoy is something I am not allowed, I should of known better. Thanks again.
  • Glad I could help. I have found that it is sometimes it is the little things that can stall us. I have learned so much while on this program. I am glad to pass on anything that I have learned by my mistakes.