Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #1  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Wink The Beck Diet Solution July 2007

Hey Beck Followers,

Thought I'd start a new thread for July since the other was getting a bit large. I know it's still June 30 here in Illinois but, to paraphrase the song, "it's July somewhere!"

See you all in the morning,
L
Liannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #2  

Default older thread is #1 on Google

Hi Liannie,

I can only speak for myself, but I am going to keep my posts to that other main big mega-thread.

The reason is that if threads get broken up, then old threads "die" and the info gets lost in the shuffle.
Also, new people can read up on all the old info in one place.

Also, that old large thread is the #1 result on Google when one searches for...

beck diet solution support group

Its #2 behind Amazon when when searches Google for...

beck diet solution group

So that's a great result, and not easy to get. Its because of the size of the thread, and posting frequency, etc.

Lastly, I don't know if its just me, but accessing the 3fatchicks website is not easy, for some reason. There are so many bells and whistles, cookies, applets, etc, on the site, I don't browse the site, as it can freeze up. So I just go right to that mega-thread.

So anyway, that's my 2 cents. I think megathreads are the most useful, as all the info is in one place in this type of general forum.

Lastly, Judith Beck said on her blog they plan to have a Beck Diet Solution Online Community at some point, so that will be good when that happens. I will be there...less of me, that is.
CBT BDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone,
I hope you've had a nice weekend! I feel like once again my weekend has sabotaged my week-long diet efforts, but I'm really going to work at reining myself in next weekend! By the way, if any of you are having a hard time monitoring your food on paper, I signed up for fitday yesterday, and it's fabulous! I think it will work so much better for me since I'm on different computers all day. Plus, I like that it estimates calories for me (food and exercise) and graphs my weight loss.

CBT, we decided a while back to start a new thread once July rolled around. I'm sure that as we continue to post here, this will become a top google hit. I just think it might be daunting for new people to see a ton of pages and feel like it might be hard to jump in.

Sue, congrats on your weight loss! Enjoy the concert and cajun (yum!). It's great that you planned for it in your diet!

Liannie, I've found I need to re-read the first few chapters about once a week. I'm going pretty slow with the rest of the book, but I really want to get the basics down. Like you, I know it is still too easy for me to fall back to my old ways!

Hope next week is great for all of us and that this time next week we are all a little bit lighter!
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #4  
Banishing the Belly

Oh my gosh, Karina, you have really hit the nail on the head with the weekend ruining the week's work. I COULDN'T BELIEVE how much I weighed this morning. I must be holding water for myself and about 3 other people! There's no way I could have gained that much weight in 2 days. I'm going to have to be absolutely spartan to reach my goal this month. I'm not even going near my ticker.

I also record on fitday. I bought Fitday for PC so I could use my laptop, but I recently discovered TheDailyPlate.com which is another nice online program that some other 3FCers use. It lets you record fast foods a little more simply. Of course, I need to just eliminate those and stick to Fitday, don't I?!

As far as my progress with the Beck program, I've found that starting back from page 1 has made a big difference for me, and I think I'll need to keep going back over stuff again and again. Since trying to avoid emotional or mindless eating is the whole point of reading the book, I really need to give it a lot of time.

And CBT, I think the moderators like threads to stay within a certain length. That was why we started another. I'm with you on hoping Dr. Beck starts something on her site too! I wish the workbook was coming out sooner as well because I need all the help I can get with this.

For my re-doing of an earlier lesson, I practiced hunger tolerance today by skipping lunch. A couple of times I almost caved by snacking but there were no South Beach friendly foods in the house, so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. Tonight, I'm planning menus and making a shopping list. Tomorrow, I will revisit all my old index cards.

Enjoy the week and the holiday, all!

Take care,
L
Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #5  

Great job on the hunger tolerance, Liannie! I'm SO impressed you did it on a non-work day! That's amazing! Good for you!!

Oh, I've been to tell you guys my latest exciting news I just realized...although the scale has yet to go down more, my current weight puts me in the overweight, not obese category! Take care, everyone!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #6  

Thanks Liannie for starting the new one...

Sue, I'm really impressed with your saving 1000 calories for your Cajun meal. That is great.

Karina, congrats. That's a cool realization. One of my big rewards is going to be when I'm at a normal BMI. I remember the last time I got under 25BMI; I was so happy, tho it's a very distant memory.

I had a nice big payoff this morning...I'm down 4 pounds now since starting the first two-week phase of my diet. I'm over the moon.

This is sometimes when I start to eat off plan....it gets too hard or my cravings get too big, or I start to think I don't have to follow the plan exactly. And altho I do best on LC plans, if you eat off plan, you can really rebound with the weight at lightning speed, so I have to keep keeping on. It feels like a mystical experience to lose weight...I'm only half joking.

Well walking over to my favorite coffee shop to journal and get my caffeine buzz on.

girly
girlythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #7  

Hi everyone.

thank you so much Girlythin for giving me a heads up about the move, I kept going back to old site and did not understand about the move. Like CBT,I find the 3 chicks site a bit of a mystery and rather awkward. I just bookmarked our old location. I have become a bit dependent on all you guys for sharing the woes and successes of Beck new life style. I was worried that you all formed a telephone support system and were not doing postings any more.

Karina great you met on your goals regarding now no longer being "obese". . Girlythin-great loss. Liannie and Karina, I also use fit day and find it great. I am so anxious to get under 300 LBs. then go from Morbid Obesity to just plain obese.

A fun and rather interesting weight loss weekend. I went completely off the Beck plan and enjoyed 2 unstructured days of eating and lost 1/2 lb. I think some of rigid planning, measuring and recording instilled a improved food sense and even though I ate less nutriously, I did not binge, Yeah- The selection was less healthy (alcohol, crackers, cheese, chips )but the amounts were down.

Also know the body is crazy and may not let go of another pound until 10 more days of "perfect" moderation. But I am enjoy one of the very rare times that a serious binge did not start. Today I am back on Beck diet. I like the rest of you am continously reworking all the Beck lessons. I am trying to include that Oh Well attitude in other areas of my life when disappointed.

Went to a garage sale and got cheap a fancy recumbent bike exerciser. My DH is so patience, as over the years, he has hauled in and out of the house about 5 expense yet remained unused pieces of exercise equipment. I have high hopes. If I could make myself use it all time that I watch TV how the cals I would burn.

thanks to you all
sue
coastalsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #8  

girly, GREAT job on the weight loss!! I love when I start a new "decade" of weight!

Sue, I think it's a great sign that you went off the plan and still made some good decisions and even lost weight! It sounds like some of the changes you've made have become at least somewhat second nature. Re: the bike, I bought a used treadmill that I use while watching tv. I don't think I could do it without the tv; the time goes by much more quickly. Good luck with it!

I did not do very well for lunch--DH asked me to meet him for lunch, and we decided to have Indian, since it's a buffet (quick food is much better when you have a squirming 15-month old on your hands). I actually did very well, I think, except I ended up having 2 pieces of naan. I originally planned to only have 1, but then just couldn't seem to help myself. I really need to work on resisting foods that I love. Any ideas on how to do that? I worry about that happening at parties, too. At least I only got 1 plate, and over half of it was dahl/other veggie dish. I resisted the fried foods, so I feel good about that. Anyway, it did kick my b*tt in gear, and I jogged on the treadmill during my daughter's afternoon nap.

I'll check in tomorrow...take care!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/121.5/120

Height: 5'6"

Oh: I just found this new thread so I'll cut and paste my intro:

Hi all! I am so, so, so very excited that I found this forum!!! I just bought TBDS and am on page 43 and LOVING it! I recently got very skinny doing ******* (low carb, low fat, low cal). Too skinny. Nobody but me was thrilled. Now I've gained a little back but was (until I bought TBDS yesterday) terrified of gaining it all back since I'm having a hard time finding balance between the extreme diet I was on and no diet whatsoever. No more!

What I love about this book is that it doesn't tell you to NOT diet (like some of the intuitive eating books do), yet it gives you the mental tools -- that are almost always lacking in a diet -- with which to successfully embark on a plan. Low carbing works great for me, but currently I have a bunch of sugary food in the house. TBDS has already helped me avoid a blow-out binge: I heard the little frozen pints of evil calling me from the freezer last night. I just kept saying to myself, "It's a craving, it will pass. I will feel SO great tomorrow if I do NOT give in" etc. etc. I ended up eating some watermelon and an Atkins bar and actually didn't even want the ice cream after that.

This morning I weighed less than I thought (I've been overeating bad for the last couple of days since I got back from vacation). I really am SO happy I didn't give in to the craving last night and eat the ice cream. Okay, I did eat more than I wanted to yesterday, but I didn't give in to the sabotaging voices. Baby steps.

I'm really looking forward to discussing this plan with you all, a plan which I think is a breakthrough for dieters. I'm going to go back and try to read as many posts as possible to learn from all of you.

Thanks!!! Ursula
PomMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #10  

Welcome, Ursula!
How are the rest of you doing? Tomorrow is my weigh-in day, and I'm nervous again. I think I've done really well this week, but I seem to have hit a little plateau. We'll see how it goes!

Do any of you have fun plans for tomorrow? We are having some friends over (can see the fireworks from our house, though a little far away), nothing big. What are you all going to eat? I still haven't decided, but I need to beforehand!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #11  

Welcome Ursula! I'm totally familiar with *******. Dang, you have willpower to be able to do that.

I feel so IN CONTROL--Oh how great that feels. I know that the Beck techniques are really helping. I haven't done any new stuff in the book in a couple of days. My next thing is rating hunger; am going to do it tomorrow.

I can feel the advantages (card) really seeping in; I'm faithfully reading them (all 22 reasons for me) when I wake up, and then another time, usually before lunch because I always want to overeat after lunch in my 1:00 class. I think it's an anxiety reaction that has been sort of unconscious.

I'm really seeing how my resistance to planning impacts all areas of my life, including my stress levels b/c if I'm not planned well, then I have more stress. I always get my class planning done (I'm a teacher), but it's often under extreme pressure b/c I wait till the last minute, or I don't allow enough time.

Since I didn't spend enough time doing lesson prep last weekend, I had to get up really early today to get it all of Tuesday's lessons prepped; then I didn't have enough time to eat bkst slowly, or to prepare lunch.

BTW, I've been doing something that's helped cut the time a lot. When I cook, I always try to make two meals. Last night I made a snack, so I threw together another one and wrapped it in Saran. Or if I'm cooking bkst, I'll also make another meal @ the same time. It's been really helping me with not feeling AS overwhelmed. As I was telling Karina, I've gone from eating like nearly every meal out, including a lot of ffood, to now cooking and prepping healthy food.

I have no exciting plans for the 4th...I'll relax, journal for a long time at the coffee shop, maybe stroll down to the beach and watch the fireworks.

Have a great holiday...
girlythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #12  
Banishing the Belly

Hey all,

Welcome Ursula! How great to have a new member. You'll love the group. Everyone here is so supportive and I feel like I'm in really good company as we all try to get a handle on our eating styles.

I'm just doing a brief checkin today because I worked a long late shift. I didn't have time to go over my cards before work because I decided to work out for 90 minutes, and then had to take my son to get his car fixed. I will go over them again tomorrow because I will really need all my strength not to overdo. I'm hanging out with my two best friends and, between the three of us we've probably eaten about 17 cows and drank a barley field full of beer over the years. The triggers will be there to pig out but I want to stay sane about my holiday eating.

I'll check back later. Happy 4th!

L
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #13  

Happy 4th everyone!
Ugh, I'm frustrated that the scale is still firmly resting on 165, but at least it's good motivation not to overdo it today. I think now that I'm monitoring my eating on fitday, it's helping me not to eat as much. I love that it counts my calories for me, and I've stayed between 1200 and 1600 since I started it. So, I do expect the numbers on the scale to go down soon. I got my reunion announcement in the mail, which is my big incentive right now to do well! My goal is still to lose at least another 20 lbs between now and end of September, and I hope closer to 25!

Liannie, I loved your post about you and your friends, it is so funny! LOL
I'm going to stay with friends all next week in a similar situation, and it's going to be a killer. Great job on the 90 min workout!!

Girly, good job on reading your cards...I'm good about doing it at work, but not so much when I'm at home. Now that I'm mostly not going to be at work until mid-August, I really need to do better. I like your idea about reading them in the morning...I think I'll put a list in my bathroom to read while getting ready. Great job on eating out less! I've also been better about that, although not so much on the weekend as I mentioned. I'm really going to work on it this weekend, though!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/121.5/120

Height: 5'6"

Today is Day #1 with TBDS, but I've already used it's principles. I'm not sure what's up with my body right now, but yesterday (and during the last few days) I ate 2700 cals. and haven't gained, was even down one pound this morning (!). Granted, I'm at the tail end of TOM, so it's water weight but I'm still amazed that I'm not gaining...

TBDS came into play when, after having all that food yesterday, I was watching TV in bed with my husband at 11:30 last night musing over the idea of eating some more ice cream once he fell asleep!!! I immediately implemented what I've learned so far with TBDS and focused on how good falling asleep would feel, and how bad I'd feel eating. It worked!!! I went to sleep very proud of myself. Beck says that every time you resist a binge or temptation, you built up your "resistance muscles." Indeed, I felt stronger this morning and was rewarded when I stepped on the scale.

Happy 4th to all!!! Ursula
PomMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #15  
Banishing the Belly

You go Ursula! I've caved in so much lately, my resistance muscle are very very wimpy. I need to strengthen them big time. I fall into that "oh I'm stressed and need this ____(fill in the blank)____ to eat to make myself feel better" mode. BUt I don't feel better afterward! I have heartburn and a full belly and then I hate myself! Thank goodness I'm restarting the book, and hanging out here with all of you so I can relearn these good new habits.

Karina, I think it really helps to have a tangible goal. I was able to really melt off the pounds for my wedding but now that I have no particular goal, I'm sort of wishy washy about it. I think if you keep visualizing how you want to look for the reunion, you'll do great. And being able to go over the cards will make a big difference. Your calorie count sounds just right too.

Girly, good job on the cooking! I need to do more of that. Even though I try to choose more sensible drive-through offerings these days, I don't lose weight if I don't cook the food myself. You just don't know what's in it if you don't cook it. And yeah, planning is crucial. Sounds like you're really moving in the right direction though. As more and more "good days" roll from future to past, you'll get thinner and thinner.

Hey Sue! I remember when I went from being "morbidly obese" to "obese" to "overweight." It was around Christmas when I got to be overweight. I remember saying "Santa, what I want for Christmas is to be OVERWEIGHT" and people thought I was crazy. But I hear you loud and clear! It's great to see that downward progress. You keep working at it and you'll get there. It's a slow process. It took me 3 years to lose 85 lbs. because I took a lot of "time-outs" to maintain in between. But you'll get there. I believe in you.

Well, I'd better go. Gotta get my workout in and then party with those girlfriends of mine. Have a great day all!

L