Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #1  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

Question can any1 help me find a NORMAL SIMPLE diet plan?!

I need a diet plan that does not consist of weird things like hummus, kashi, wiso soup, salmon, poppyseed muffins, etc.

I am a simple plan girl and I like simple NORMAL things that I can easily find at Wal-Mart! I live directly across the street from Wal-Mart and that's where I do all my shopping. I don't mind eating breakfast but it has to be quick and SIMPLE. I do have access to a microwave and refrig. at work so lunch can include either one of those.

I work at night also and always have to be at work at 6pm. I get off my day job at 3:30pm so dinner must be able to be fit into that time. Of course I'd prefer something that does not require a lot of cooking. I live alone and don't have any children.

I'm going to start getting in about 30min a day on my rebounder and I need a good diet plan to go with it. I don't really like beef but I love boneless chicken breast!!! I also love spicy foods. Mexican food is my fav!

I also don't mind eating the same thing a few times a week. Also, I've learned that my biggest downfalls come when I don't already have what I need to eat available. Like if I get caught at work with no lunch, my mind starts to wonder to all the nearest fast food resturants.

Can anyone help me with a new SIMPLE NORMAL diet plan????
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Jana, I fully understand your problem. I like the "Change One" plan for my way of life. It gives you portions of foods not certain foods. It also lists some safe snack foods in all categories. You could probably find it at your local library if you just want to look into it before you buy the book. It is so easy to follow and it works. GOOD LUCK
Donna72664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Calorie Counting has worked wonderfully for me, I too shop in a small town walmart and dont do that crazy food lol...Lean Cuisine is AMAZING their paninis are great, so are the pizza's have you looked at fitday.com or thedailyplate.com, those both help you record your intake of calories as well as what you burn. I tried low carb, but calorie counting is much easier for me!! Good luck
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I vote for calorie counting too. No matter what you eat, you can count it. I recommend lean proteins and things that grow and the odd bowl of oatmeal.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #5  

Yikes I don't think any of the foods you said are weird they're my every day stuff!! LOL! However, what's weird to one person, is not to another....I shop at Trader Joe's, we don't even have Wal-Mart here.

My suggestion is FitDay. If you buy something packages, you just enter the numbers on the package on the site.....and plug in how much of it you eat every day, then it keeps track of all the calories, fats, carbs etc.....and other foods you can look up, like fruit, veggies, chicken etc.

Good luck to you!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey! I did it with calorie counting, taking multivitamin supplements, and having lots of Lean Cuisine meals. This is not the most whole-foods way to go, but it does work and it doesn't have to be unhealthy, as long as you also have good fresh vegetables to supplement the LCs (like a salad or a helping of steamed broccoli ). Also, I almost always have a good breakfast that includes protein.

The main thing is that you record what you eat and add it up, so that you know how much you are eating and can make decisions accordingly. Otherwise, you could just be guessing and it's easy to guess wrong.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #7  
doinTHEbestIcan

I usually eat 2 slices of cinnamon bread and a cup of OJ or coffee for breakfast.

Snack on some Ritz crackers if I get hungry between breakfast and lunch.

For lunch I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Michelina's frozen dinners from Wal-Mart!!! They are only 98cents and they are very TASTY!!! I also have a 4th of cantaloupe and usually some bread (not good I know) if it's one if the italian meals.

Dinner is where I ALWAYS mess up and have something I'm not supposed to!!!

I've had a fitday account for about a year now, but never really used it. I'm going to take all of you guys advice and start tracking me calories. I've tried calorie counting before but never had much success with it.

It looks like that what I'm pretty much doing right now. I make healthy food choices about 85% of the time right now.

Thank all of you for your advice!! Fitday here I come!!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #8  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I would say CALORIE COUNTING and PORTION CONTROL are the 2 major issues anyone should address when looking for a weight loss program. Also exercise on a regular basis is essential. Good luck to you!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Just count your calories and make sure you have a decent deficit going, usually between 500-1,000 calories for steady, healthy weight loss, and try to make sure that fat consists of no more than 30% of your diet. The fat bit may not matter as long as you are creating a deficit, but I've found that I just feel better if I'm not eating a small mountain of fat (because if you DO choose to eat a lot of fat, you won't get to eat as much, and that just sucks!!)

And hey - I'm not super fond of Kashi, nor do I want to eat rare, organic foods that will cost me my entire paycheck! I work ten hour days and I HATE to cook (not to mention I'm BAD at it AND I take FOREVER to cook most things!), so I don't follow the conventional, American-Heart-Diabetes-Cholesterol-BloodPressure-WhatHaveYouHealthyAssociation guidelines for a healthy diet, either! While saying that, I DO eat healthier than a large percentage of people I know... but essentially, it's all about calorie counting and portion control. I'm often inclined to eat things with less calories IN them SO that I can eat MORE because I LOVE FOOD!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 09-12-2007 at 05:03 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #10  

If you are going to do calorie counting, I recommend investing in a digital scale (I got mine at walmart). It's much better to know and calculate the calories of 3 oz of bread or and ounce and half of cereal rather than trying to eyeball it. When you are hungry, your eyes will tell you that the crackers you ate with your soup were just one servings worth, while the scale will tell you it was really 3.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #11  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
If you are going to do calorie counting, I recommend investing in a digital scale (I got mine at walmart).
Totally! I wind up using my postal scale mostly for food!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusj View Post
I am a simple plan girl and I like simple NORMAL things that I can easily find at Wal-Mart! I live directly across the street from Wal-Mart and that's where I do all my shopping. I don't mind eating breakfast but it has to be quick and SIMPLE. I do have access to a microwave and refrig. at work so lunch can include either one of those.
Yup, I'm echoing Susuan and Lots2go with another vote for calorie counting. Just start out eating what you like and keep track of it. You can always make adjustments from there!

FYI, they sell hummus, kashi, salmon, and poppyseed muffins at Wal-Mart. . Not so sure about miso, but then I hate miso so I'm not exactly looking for it.

Since you don't mind leftovers and you don't have much time to cook in the evening, consider cooking a bit on the weekends, something you like, and refrigerate it to eat in the week, or freeze in individual portions.

Planning seems annoying and time consuming at first, but it saves time in the long run—I'm not spending half an hour wandering in circles around the kitchen wondering what to make, and then giving up and having pb&j.

Just ease into it. Begin with some calorie counting eating your normal foods, and promise yourself to keep healthy options around the house, whatever that takes. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive: convenience foods are fine. My sis loves the South Beach wraps in a box you can buy at Wal-Mart, for instance. I just bought about 20 Lean Cuisine Spa Cuisines at Meijer for $1.31 each half price because I realized I've been REALLY slack about getting food in my freezer lately.

Sometimes it's just thinking about what to eat while on the way home that helps—"Drat, I haven't been to the grocery store...Well, I have tortillas at home, and chicken breasts, and a can of beans, and salsa: burrito time." Granted, I haven't made burritos like, ever, (though I love them!) but that kind of sounds like the ingredients.

Last edited by Luminous; 09-13-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Just one thing I'd add--try to get some protein with your breakfast. Could be a boiled or scrambled egg or two, or some cheese, or a few slices of deli ham--just something to give you more protein. That will help you be less hungry and also is a better balance of food without having to get fancy.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #13  
doinTHEbestIcan

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Diet Plan

Jana, I'm using The Ab Diet. I just started it last weekend, so I don't have anything signifigant to report about it, but I like it. Its easy to follow. It concentrates on healthy eating: whole grains, protein, fruits & veggies. The book tells you about avoiding things like high fructose corn syrup and other things. Kind of a natural, back-to-basics sort of diet. You snack on things like unsalted mixed nuts, fruit, string cheese, turkey, etc. Just a thought. Good luck.
jazzy75149 is offline   Reply With Quote