Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #1  
Amy

Talking Salsa Recipe

Good Morning All,

I am really interested in making my own salsa. I now have the bullet which I think will help. I would like to make a tomato/onion based one such as Chipolte or Don Pablos. Actually, maybe I should be asking for Pico de gallo... I know a lot of you are from the west and have the BEST recipes around... Please advise!

Thanks!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Never fail salsa...

1 can of low sodium diced tomatoes (Del Monte brand)
fresh garlic (as many cloves as you want), minced
2 jalepenos (roasted over your grill or stove (instructions to follow)
1 half-cup of New Mexico green chile (in NJ, you probably have to buy canned stuff) - These are optional.. I just like the chile flavor. If you can find whole, raw NM chiles, roast 'em per the instructions below
1 habenero/scotch bonnet pepper (roasted - see below)
1 small onion finely minced
1/4 teaspoon lite salt or salt alternative

Drain the canned tomatoes unless you like your salsa really soupy
dump ingredients into blender/bullet/hand chopper and mix until the tomatoes and peppers have broken down... Serve and enjoy. If you use the habenero, this will be really hot, so beware...

Sure, you can use raw tomatoes, but for some strange reason, I like the canned flavor better... Go figure, huh?

If you want a more smokey kick, use chipotle peppers rather than the jalepenos...

Roasting instructions: you'll need a set of tongs... Over a gas stove burner or backyard grill, turn peppers over until the skin is black and bubbly.. Make sure the entire pepper is black.. Place peppers into a heavy duty plastic ziploc (lighter sandwich bags will melt) and let sweat for 20 minutes or so..

At this point, it would be handy to have clean rubber gloves... Remove from bag and peel off the skin as much as possible. DO NOT WASH, as using water will remove some of the roasted flavor. Cut stem off peppers and remove seeds if so desired.. cut into managable portions and add to ingredients.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #3  

Mmmmm Dan that sounds wonderful...thanks for sharing!!!
mizzt is offline   Reply With Quote