Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280.5/268.2/170

Height: 5'10"

Default I do not know what to believe?

I listen to some of you on here and I see some bad experiences and I see some good experiences. I have been investigating LAWL for sometime and seeing what all of you have to say on a daily basis and I also have been looking at different things on the internet.

I finally broke down and made an appt to go in for a consultation. I then went back on the net and found this article (link below). Please someone tell me if you have had some of these experiences or not. I did when I called for my appt I needed to schedule it for Friday because I had free time to fit it in on Friday and they wouldn't accept Friday and they talked me into my lunch hour today, which I am calling back canceling now. Please read the article below and let me know what your opinion is on this please.

http://reviews.ebay.com/LA-Weight-Lo...00000002219087
slim&fitby40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #2  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

That seems pretty harsh. Yes, they do try to sell you the Lites. Yes, they do tell you that they are imperitive for the program to work. Let me tell you, they are not. Explore the LAWL forum a little and you will find that many of the seasoned vets of the program have listed alternatives to the Lites and other things. As far as the supplements, you do not have to buy them. IMO, a multi-vitamin does the same. You do have to pay upfront but there are so many specials. For instance, my aunt and I went in at the same time and she has a little over 100lbs to lose, plus she has a thyroid condidtion which they predicted would slow her wieghtloss to 1lb/ week. it came to a grand total of $2,000-something. with the special that was running, it cost her $410.00.
Yes, the program is common sense regarding healthy food as opposed to processed foods. However, I did not realize how large my usual portions really were until I began this program. Also, for me, the reason this works is because there is such accountability. When you first decide that you want to change to a healthy lifestyle, it is so hard because you remember how all of those wonderful fast food items tasted and the temptation is great. Knowing that I had to go in and weigh in in two days kept me in check.

Bottom line is the program will work it and work it how you want to, not how the occasional pushy LAWL employee might.
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I do not use LAWL so know very little about it. For me I refuse to spend a cent for someone to tell me what I should eat. I count calories and exercise and it works for me. There are many diet plans and I am not knocking them. Use the plan that works for you and that you will follow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I can't access the article from my work computer, but I would urge you to re-read (because I am assuming you already read it) my post at the top of the page called "What is LAWL". While Bargoo may be very successful counting calories, I am guessing that you are looking for more accountability other than yourself or else you wouldn't be here. If it's accountability you need, LAWL does it. 3x/week WI really keep you on track. There is a fine line between believing every sales tactic they use is a lie and selectively saying no. You don't have to buy all of the supplements, and since none of them are FDA approved, no one can force you to buy them. They are nothing more than herbs and vitamins. A good multi-vitamin and maybe some fish oil for regularity and a calcium supplement should be all you need. If you WANT to try the other products, feel free, but it should be your decision, not theirs. As far as the lites, I've seen that some places require them and some don't. I like them. And when I buy in bulk when they have sales (not the whole bulk package when you start) they are priced pretty well.

Bottom line is go in aware, but not defensive. Don't feel pressured to do anything, and take the time to think about it if you need or want it. Also, a lot of us have sticker shock or buyer's remorse right after we sign up because we can't believe we just spent this much money all at once. But remember that the program is one that works, and if you price it out you will see that it's no more expensive than WW for the most part, you just pay it all up front.

Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #5  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

It's good that you are doing the research, most people don't. A lot of what is said in there is true, but in the harshest manner possible. I went in at the lowest point of my life, I bought into the program and liked the bars and bought them too. Yes, it is a total shock to pay that money up front, but I broke it down to what it would cost me by the week for the whole program and it was right around $5. If I joined WW, it would be $10 a week. If I joined Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem and ordered their food it would be a heck of a lot more expensive than that. Any diet program on the internet is a minimum of $5 per week.

The counselors ARE sales people, the DO work on commission. The difference between a good center and a bad center boils down to the management and the people working there. My center is an awesome center. All of the counselors there with the exception of one has been or is on the program, so they are very helpful in working with the diary and giving tips to help you succeed. They are also a cheerleading squad when I am doing good and a support group when I am stalling. They are not pushy sales people there either. There are some of their products I buy. If I want them, I buy them, If I don't want the special of the week, I just say "No thank you."

If you go into the program with a bad attitude, you are probably going to fail at the program. This program WORKS if YOU work the program. It is not a diet, it is a way to teach you to eat for the rest of your life. I did Atkins several years ago and lost 90 lbs. I went back to my old eating habits after 2 years and gained 70 lbs. back. It wasn't Atkins fault, it was MY fault because I couldn't eat like that for the rest of my life. On LAWL, which, yes, is just strict portion control, once I reach my goal weight and go on maintenance, it will be a way I can eat for the rest of my life. They don't just abandon you at the end of the weight loss phase, the year maintenance gives you time to train your brain on how you can eat for the rest of your life. If I gain the weight back, it really is nobodys fault but my own. I can't blame LAWL or anybody else for my failure to learn to change my ways.

The one thing that you will see a lot of people on this forum say is that the accountability of going in 3 times a week to weigh in is what keeps them in check and keeps them going. I was the same way. This time, I couldn't do it by myself. I had to have help. Now I have been on the program long enough that I usually don't go in 3 times a week anymore, but I know the program. I haven't been losing the 2 lbs. a week for a while, but I am not gaining any either and I am still losing inches, so I am learning to eat right for myself.

If you are strong willed and disiplined and can do it by yourself or with a buddy and not have to be accountable to anybody else, then go for it, you don't need to join LAWL or any other program. There are several successful people on here that are doing it without a center and are just using this forum as their support group. You can make any program successful if you have the right mindset to do it, you can't look at it as a diet, you have to look at it as a lifestyle change. Can I make this work for me for the rest of my life so that the weight will stay off? You bet you I can. And in my way of thinking, I did shell out a lot of money for this program, but you know what, I am worth every penny I have spent!!!! And I bet you are too. Just make sure that the money you spend is being put to good use.

Go to your appointment. As you are waiting, chat with the other people in the waiting area. Ask them how they like the center, the counselors. Ask lots of questions to the person that is giving you the sales pitch.

And for the record, you DON'T have to get the bars, some say they are required, but if you put down on your medical chart that you have soy allergies or IBS, then they can't sell them to you. If you have a sweet tooth they are good. There are all food programs that you can be on too. I have been on the program for a while and there are days that I don't even think about eating the bars, so yea, I can live without them once I reach my goal.

Sorry that this has turned into such a long post. I hope that you make the right choice for you whatever that may be. Good luck.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  

I am keeping my appt for noon today and I will let you know how it goes. I am keeping an open mind as much as I can.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #7  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

Cassit hit the nail right on the head.. .as usual. There are many programs available and from the research I have seen there are twice as many opinions on each of them! For me, I tend to think I am a smart woman but yet I just couldn't get the weight off without some sort of accountability. LAWL provides that for me with one on one counseling sessions. Like all plans, they do want to sell their products but you aren't obligated to buy them. Just use your best judgement...think it over and if you want to go it alone without 'officially' joining then try it! There are several folks on the board who hold each other accountable and use store bought substitutes for bars, juice etc. Regardless YOU CAN DO IT!
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

I think the Center can make or break it for some people.
When I started LAWL I did it through a center. Like you, I called, tried to make an appt. for Friday when I had time off of work - nope, talked me into coming in at lunch time. It took almost 1.5 HOURS - so I was late getting back to work. I first met with the manager - very nice. I couldn't afford it straight out - I did a payment plan, monthly. No mention though about the big $$ I would "have" to spend on Lites after a few meetings. Then came that meeting - I flat out said - I cannot afford that - the worker pushed & pushed, threatened I wouldn't get my refund that they were required etc. I said - I'm sorry.
Every time I met with this worker - she PUSHED & PUSHED. I finally started requesting someone else. When I did go in - I felt like a cow - they would funnel people through - hello, weigh, room to chat, out the door. Most days you could tell they were just going through the motions to get me in & out - I didn't think I was getting much support from them.
TO's didn't do much for me - except make me hungry & crave bad things. Punishment for no real losses.

I quit after 2 months. I had gotten this bad attitude about it from my experience at the center -

I found this place end of May, started doing it on my own June 1st. I've lost 10 lbs. I haven't been POP every day - but I try. The people on here are great support, more than the center TO ME anyways. Plus it's nice to talk to someone who's been there or is there with you.

So to me - the center can make or break the whole experience.
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #9  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I really think the best thing about LAWL is you truly do re-train yourself, with lots of guidance and support, to making eating healthy a priority in your life. Nutrition is one of the number one determinants of whether or not you will get so many diseases, including cancer. What is more important that your health, really?
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #10  

Unhappy

I've decided not to do it. The lady was rude and she was the manager, I can't imagine what the regular employees are like. when I told her where I wanted to be weight wise 170 lbs she said no I need to be 150 lbs, I told her I am almost 5'11" I am very broad shouldered and large boned, there is no way I want to get down to 150 lbs, 170 lbs is fine, she actually argued with me about it. She told me if I don't stick with their weight goal they could not give me the $3.00 a week special, for me it was a very bad experience.

I will stick to counting the calories, and coming on here for support. I have been doing good 2/2.5 lbs a week with just counting the calories and exercise, so that will have to suffice.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #11  

I am so sorry you had that experience! And I can't believe she said that. Even on a conservative weight chart your ideal would be 160 for a med. build. Feel free to ask questions here and we can be your accountability if you feel you need it. Otherwise, there are many, many other areas of 3FC to explore as well, including a calorie counting board.

If you are still interested in a formal program, you can call the customer service center, (SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THE 800 NUMBER) and tell them the experience you just had. Maybe LA online would be the right fit for you?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #12  

Already put in a complaint, someone is going to call me back.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #13  

Good! It's people like that that give LAWL a bad reputation. And if people don't make them aware, they can't change it.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #14  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

It's a shame you had such a poor experience. There are several people on this board that are 'unofficially' on the LAWL plan. As Cassie mentioned, we can be your support and help you fill in the gaps.

I am glad you called to complain, they should know they lost a customer!

Good luck in whatever you decide...Know that we are here if you need us.
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote