Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #166  

I had a good day yesterday. I ate a very small supper but the only problem with that is that I awakened at 3:30 am starving. I laid there for an hour and a half then finally got up and went downstairs and drank a half a cup of juice.......went back to bed and promptly fell to sleep. I would have done that sooner but I didn't want to go downstairs to the frig. I don't like eating in the night but I can manage to drink something. I have a plan to freeze a little juice and keep it in my room if this happens again and it has happened quite a bit since I've been on prednisone.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #167  

Anybody home?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #168  

I just Sat. started to do a new exercise program called Shapely Secrets. It's basically isometric exercises and I hope this might help. I've been learning a few things lately. Like last night we went with some of our kids to Red Lobster. From now on I hope to remember to order just a salad and appetizer because the main dishes are just too much for me. I have the clean your plate mentality from my youth so I don't finish it all but feel bad for wasting. We went to another restaraunt a few weeks ago and I now know when we go there that soup and salad is PLENTY!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #169  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hey IE Pals - I'm here.
I had a friend visiting for a few days. A very intuitive eater. Almost irritatingly so!!! As in, eats two bites of a sandwich and then is done, only to want two bites of a completely different substance a few hours later. All of these food items are "standard" American foods, not diet-conscious. But who serves these things in two-bite quantities. Lots of waste, but, got to admit, this person does not have a weight problem!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #170  

Wish I could eat like that. How does she do it?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #171  
breakfast rebel

Actually it was a he -- and a tall guy as well, probably
6'4" - the kind of person that people would say would need about 3000 calories a day - nope, not for him. Just eats what he wants whenever he wants -- which is just intuitively not very much!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #172  

Well, I haven't posted here for awhile so probably should. I found out that I may have to give up ice cream. The last few times I've eaten it I've become nauseous. I think that's ok. My family eats a lot of ice cream so someitmes it is a temptation. I do like dessert so I'll have to find something else. Eating has been pretty good except for Sun. when we ususally have company. I'm usually really hungry when we got home from worhip meeting and pick a little while making dinner.......then dinner .........I try to eat just a little and then dessert. I usually refuse dessert because I'm full but sometimes I don't and wish I had!!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #173  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
Just eats what he wants whenever he wants -- which is just intuitively not very much!
I'm sorry to write this (I don't want to offend anybody), but imho this is exactly why this will not work for everybody! Some people (like me), want to eat A LOT and not very healthy. If I eat what I want, half the sandwich package is empty and I still feel like I could have some more.

I also wonder if his diet would work if instead of really eating what he wants, he would have to finish the sandwich he started earlier. Is he thin because he eats what he wants, when he wants, or because he simply eats a lot of small meals?
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #174  
breakfast rebel

I described this as an example of intuitve eating just because it seemed like what he does intuitively; he is not trying to follow IE or any other diet plan, he just does what he does.
It didn't seem like he ate a lot of small meals. He also drank milk and juices; liquids with calories, but never really evaluating any of it like so many of us chronic dieters.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #175  

This is from the Beyond Chocolate newsletter.

Q: I worry that if I don't eat at breakfast time I will be eating later in the morning and then I won't be hungry enough for lunch at the right time, which means I'll have lunch and then dinner later, too. I find the idea of moving away from regular meal times quite hard.

A: Yes, it can be a challenge to go against the grain and eat when you are physically hungry, rather than at set times to fit in with work commitments, or friends, or the family routine. As you practise tuning in and recognising the signals, and get to know your body and your hunger better, you will be able to manage when you eat so that it suits you, almost all the time, and it will be less tricky. You'll know exactly how much to have at breakfast so that you can be sure to be hungry at lunchtime if you want to be - or if you aren't hungry for breakfast and decide not to eat then, you'll be able to have just the right mid-morning snack (that you can take to work, if that suits you), which will mean you have an appetite again by lunchtime. This will become less and less contrived the more you do it. You'll be able to manage your hunger so that you are hungry when it suits you rather than being controlled by it.

It is worth having the experience of allowing your natural hunger for a little while if you can, though, even if it is a little inconvenient, as it really gives you a chance to recognise it easily and to become 'friends' with it. And it's worth bearing in mind that so often our first thought when we contemplate eating when we are hungry is that we'll be hungry at unconventional times - but this isn't always the case. You may even find that your hunger follows a pretty straightforward breakfast/lunch/dinner pattern, and the only way you'll know is by experimenting!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #176  
breakfast rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
This is from the Beyond Chocolate newsletter.

Q: I worry that if I don't eat at breakfast time I will be eating later in the morning and then I won't be hungry enough for lunch at the right time,
My first thought is: Wow; someone is actually worried about this. They need to get a real problem.
But I read the response and it makes sense. I am fortunate that I can do my own thing. I don't have to coordinate `hunger schedules` with anyone!!! What a bizarre concept.
jo
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #177  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Just wanted to drop in and say 'hi'! I've lost over a hundred pounds practicing IE since last Feb. I love it, and really feel like I've found the answer to my life long struggle with weight and diet failure.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #178  
breakfast rebel

WOW! Congratulations, MetaChick!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

I've browsed through this thread and I thought I'd post a quick "Hi". IE makes sense to me on so many levels. In examining my eating habits, if I were to leave out all the eating I do for non-hunger reasons I'm certain I'd stay within the suggested calorie intake.

I tried tracking my calories the other day and by supper I gave up on it. It's enough that I get time to make a healthy supper, never mind figuring out the calorie content of the casserole with 12 ingredients! My kids keep me busy enough that taking the time to do all the tracking and looking up calorie contents makes the whole thing a little overwhelming.

I've done WW in the past and I found that I spent all my time thinking about food. How many points had I used so far? How many points was that food worth? Would I be out of points by 6 pm and stressed about being hungry?

I'm also the type to eat every few hours. If I don't have a morning snack I'm shaky and nauseous by noon. I think my body does best if I almost look at doing five small meals through the day.

I'll be back to learn more when the kids aren't yelling at me!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #180  

Hi Kim, and Welcome!!!