Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Cool ~fiber Fanatics~may

~Fiber Fanatics~ April
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.

1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods. Burns more calories!
3. High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many fat free)

High-fiber foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #2  

Default black bean soup

just a quick note to say that I posted the recipe last night in the April post. Happy May
Diane
delarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #3  
Bobbi

Happy May Day!
Remember all the fun we had as kid's making May Baskets, delivering them at doors and running like little imps? We made May Poles at school too, I don't remember why?
Monday's calories... 1,178
Fiber... 64 grams

Delarimi... I like the looks of your soup recipe, especially the 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. I am a Fat Free Freek when it comes to bad fat (Olive oil is excellent)and I was wondering how much fat cooks
off of the wing skin? I've never seen Smoked wings at the store before, are they frozen? If the smokey flavor gives this soup it's yummy taste, I think I'd take the skin off the wings before cooking. Would that work?
We're on our way into the Fitness center, then to Wal*mart for some groceries. I'll look for the wings, thanks for sharing.

Zenor... I have such good intentions of cooking up my own beans but never do. My pantry is so well stocked with every kind of bean available and I'm wondering if they could get old or buggy? Do you have some tips on cooking them? Last time I cooked up some Chick Peas they didn't look very appetizing, the outside shells kind of peeled off and I had that mess to look at. They just weren't nice and firm like the canned. How long do you cook them in the crock pot, do you use the regular amount of water?

Quote:
Bobbi~ I pretty much cook up dry beans for all my recipes. I like to use organic beans and I find they are cheaper dry. Plus, I can control the amount of salt in them. I did recently find a great brand of organic black FF "refried" beans though at our grocery outlet, so I bought some of those. I also like to cook up a large batch of the beans I use the most of (garbanzos) and freeze them in 2 cup amounts for when I'm in a hurry (I cook them in the crock pot when I do this.)
Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I usually over cook my garbanzos because I use them to make hummus (it turns out smoother.) I would suggest testing for doneness earlier than you normally do. Also, you can skin them after they are cooked (I do this to help with the smoothness too) by covering in a lot of cold water and "rubbing" them in between your hands. The skins will float to the top and you just scoop them up and throw away (or compost.) I realize this is more work than most people are willing to do, but I'm famous for my hummus and I have to keep up my reputation.

Time in bean cooking is a funny thing. It depends on how old they are. The older the bean the longer they take to cook. They don't go bad though and if you keep them in an air tight container they shouldn't get buggy. I keep mine in quart canning jars.

When I cook them in the crockpot I cover with a few inches of water and let cook 8 - 24 hours depending on the bean and the desired texture. You can also can your own beans (from what I've read) with a pressure canner. I think you put soaked beans covered with water in the jars and can for 90 mins with 15-20 pounds of pressure (maybe 10lbs?) I have not tried this yet since I'm a little scared of my pressure canner (I've only used it as a water bath for jams and pickles.)

If you want to cook from dry and want a firm bean, try soy beans. They are impossible to turn mushy! They cook for a lot longer, but they will stay firm and they are a perfect protein by themselves (plus fiber .)

Oh, and I had 41 grams of fiber today.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
I like the looks of your soup recipe, especially the 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. I am a Fat Free Freek when it comes to bad fat (Olive oil is excellent)and I was wondering how much fat cooks off of the wing skin? I've never seen Smoked wings at the store before, are they frozen? If the smokey flavor gives this soup it's yummy taste, I think I'd take the skin off the wings before cooking. Would that work?
I'm going to share my secret for smokey meatiness in soups and such with out using meat: Liquid Smoke! I put in a teaspoon in recipes that call for bacon and such to add flavor with out the fat. If you can't find smoked Turkey wings maybe you could use the liquid smoke and then shred some turkey breast and add that to the soup?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #6  

Default turkey wings

I have seen these in regular supermarkets. I am not sure about Walmart because as great as Walmart is for prices, sometimes their selection is not that great. I got mine in a local market. I think the smoking process dries out the skin so I did not see any fat floating in the beans. I don't see why you could not take the skin off first but really I think it is insignificant. The skin though would give it its smoky flavor so I guess that is where the liquid smoke would come in to play. This recipe was taken from a Weight Watchers cookbook and if I am not mistaken I think I wrote down the fat content... let me know if I didn't and I will. I also assumed weight watchers recipes would trim the fat more than other recipes.
I made a mistake last night reading too quickly. I made microwave popcorn, a light variety. I saw 130 calories and figured the whole bag had 130 calories.. wrong! One cup had 130 calories. I ate 1/2 of the bag, so more than a cup I'm sure.... so the moral of the story is make sure you're reading right before placing in mouth!

Bobbolink - what brand of bread are you using for your french toast?... Just noticed mine does not have a very high fiber count. I am going to have to look for another brand
Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #7  

Default p.s. bean soup

I don't know if I mentioned, but I took the skin off the wing before eating.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #8  

Default p.s. turkey wings

sorry, it's early and I guess my brain is not working yet
Bobbolink - the wings were found in the fresh section of the meat department, not frozen
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #9  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Monday's calories... 1,215
Fiber... 51 grams
Beautiful morning again and we have so much yard work to do today but 1st I'm going to make the Black Bean soup. Delarimi, you're right about Wal*mart, their selections suck! I usually end up going to Hy-vee for things I can't find at Wal*mart, but that's a trip across town. Wal*mart didn't have smoked turkey wings, they had in the freezer section smoked turkey legs (lots of skin on them) and smoked turkey breast. I opted for the turkey breast at $2.39 lb., $10.44. I could hit myself on the side of the head this morning, we have a "Smoker" in our garage, duh! I'm thinking next time I see raw turkey breast on sale, I'll buy a bunch of them, stoke up the "Smoker" and make my own.
Zenor... Thanks for the tips on beans, I'll try rubbing the skins off and see how that works.[QUOTE.) I realize this is more work than most people are willing to do, but I'm famous for my hummus and I have to keep up my reputation. ][/quote] Care you share your recipe for hummus or would you have to kill us afterwards I never thought about putting liquid smoke in for bacon, that's a fantastic idea. We always have a bottle around for our "Cowboy Beans" my DH likes to make.
I have a new presser cooker (well, it was new about 15 years ago) and I only used it once so it's like new. I'm petrified to use it. My MIL used to make the most delicious canned Venison and that's why I purchased it. I should bite the bullet and try it.
I better go shower and get going on that soup.

Later, Bobbi
Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #10  
Bobbi

We loved the Black Bean soup!
I thought the smoked turkey breast I purchased was baked and ready to go but it wasn't. I had all the ingredients in the pot cooking except the turkey, I had to put the soup aside and bake the turkey breast for 1 hour before I could add it to the soup. But it turned out to be a good thing, it formed all kinds of yummy juices on the bottom of the pan. I put the juices in the freezer so all the fat could be peeled off, then added to the soup later. I couldn't find a boneless, skinless smoked turkey breast in Fitday so I used what they had and doubt very much that a 16 oz bowl had 7 grams of fat. But it had a whopping 14 grams of fiber (excellent) and 331 calories. I was stuffed. Luckily we have leftovers for today and 1/2 Breast of turkey to work into another meal. Thanks for the recipe.
Bobbi
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #11  

I'm glad you liked the bean soup, so did I. I thought smoking was cooking, though??? I have gotten a few new recipes that I want to try from Amazon.com of all places. There is a cookbook called "Magic Beans" and when you go that book it says look inside. then there is a spot that says "surpise me" and it brings you to all these recipe pages. I may end up buying the book, most of the recipes sounded great.. like one with kidney beans, apples, raisins, etc... tomorrow is weighing in day
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #12  

I will post the hummus recipe next week. I'm going out of town this morning and won't have time. Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #13  

I have been researching fiber info.. came up with something called MDF. MDF= 4 grams of fiber for body weight. so if you weighed 137 pounds (yeah right) you drop the 7 so a person weighing 137 would figure 13x4 which is 52 grams of dietary fiber a day. How about that I figured I should have 68 grams a day.. I think I am going out and buying some pretty intense fiber foods.. mangoes are one, I think kiwi is another
Old 05-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #14  
Bobbi

Thanks for the information, I'm eating that plus everyday. Have you tired Fiber One cereal, it has more fiber than any cereal on the market(14 g). Flat Outs have 9 grams of fiber.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #15  
Fat Chick

S/C/G: 163/147/128

Height: 5'7"

Mangoes. I guess they would have a lot of fiber. Do you know how much? I LOVE mangoes.
Nikki_20216 is offline   Reply With Quote