Old 04-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #1  
Ann

S/C/G: 202/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default Totally bummed, darn scales

Hello all
After noticing a huge difference in a weigh in at my Dr's office and my home scales, I went home and moved my scales from the carpet to hardwood. The numbers changed alot. Still not wanting to believe, I decided to get one of the fancy shmancy digital, estmate your bodyfat and everything scale. AND AND...it matched my Dr. scales perfectly. I weigh a full 10 pounds more than I thought I did. It feels like all my hard work on the first week of this diet flushed down the toilet. I still lost the 7 pounds, but I am still 3 pounds heavier than where I thought I was at the start. Had been POP all week, but today I did not even have the heart. Help...
DreamerNTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

Hey there!!!!
I also started on 4/1/07...I wanted to pitch in and give you some encouragement!!!

Try and remember that what matters is that you are taking charge of your health NOW...and while those 3lbs. are kind of a bummer, they don't take away from your 7 lb. achievement!!!

I am myself having a bit of a hard day...a friend of mine died after a long illness, and I am truly fighting the chocolate (my downfall) demons today. I know that it is comfort that I am looking for, not food...but I feel as though I've been fighting all day!

So, don't give in...and even if you haven't been POP today, start with dinner. You can do it. Our weight does not define us. Our actions do.

You can do this, Dreamer...If I can, you can!
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/156.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Dreamer, where in TN are you? I live just outside of Chattanooga.
I got started 4 weeks ago. I have a HARD time staying POP. Maybe we can encourage each other? I have a 6yo and a 3yo and work full time from home, so things can be pretty hectic at times. I will literally forget sometimes and eat something just to get rid of the hunger and then realize it wasn't on plan. Maybe it will just take a little more getting used to. I'm REALLY wanting to lose the last 20 pounds!!!!!!!
cmroberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #4  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I have one mantra when it comes to scales: My offical weight is only on the COD scale, I DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT weigh myself at home! I stay consistent by knowing the one scale will typically read somewhat the same.

Granted, I've stayed the same weight for 18 weeks despite staying POP 85 percent of the time. Now I get happy if the scale number goes down. But I get really really really happy when the tape measure gets smaller each month.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I bought a fancy scale too, and it always weighs me 4 lbs heavier than the scale at the COD. I always use the COD weight, and when I do weigh at home, I subtract 4 lbs.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #6  
Ann

Becca: Thank you so much for the kind words. Just getting started is a big step. We started together, we can finish as well! Those 4 blueberry muffins won't do me in too bad. (hey they were small, lol.) No snacking tonight... Back on the wagon tomorrow.
CMroberson: I live in Murfreesboro. Married with 5 kids, all teenagers. (I did alot of stress eating) I think it will get easier the more we do this. Becca really hit home when she talked about getting healthy. It is my number one motivating factor... I want to be here for my kids and even their kids for a while. Sure I will be your cheerleader! Whats your first name?
Megan... I understand where you are coming from. But looking at the scale helps keep me focused. Also, I am doing this on my own without a center. I will start exercising soon as well. Seems like they would adjust your program color if you have been holding steady. But wait you are 6 pounds from goal. CONGRATS! Thats why you've slowed. Only 6 pounds to go! That is really wonderful!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #7  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Do not let the scale rule your life....fact is you have lost weight and you are eating better than you have in a long time. Just keep it up and know that you are taking much better care of yourself today than you were a few months ago. I've lost about 20 lbs this past year and while that is no where near my goal, it's still 20 lbs LESS than it was a year ago. I can only imagine where I'd be today if I hadn't started this program.

Funny scale story tonight. DH and I met friends for dinner. After dinner we ran to Publix for a few things and on the way out they have this huge scale that weighs you. DH steps on it and declares he's almost 8 lbs heavier on this scale than the home scale, so he looks at me and says, jump on...what do you weigh? I've been with this guy for 8 years and he has NO IDEA what I weigh...but, for some insane reason, I jump on and it's now out in the open...He didn't say anything like WTF? or Holy Cow....you weigh that much....I think I fell in love again tonight.

The moral of the story here is that so what if you weigh xxx lbs....you'll never see that number again if you start taking care of yourself today!!!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #8  
Ann

Katie Aren't the new scales cool? It is very very consistent giving me the same weight every time I step up and it can also record half pound losses. Keeps up with it too! Besides when I weigh at home I weigh naked (gasp)and do the happy dance when it goes down. Admit it yall... You have all done the naked happy dance in front of your scale. Ann
Old 04-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #9  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Oh, yeah, I have done the naked happy dance. Poor DH and the dogs....
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #10  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

I have to chime in and let you know that when I started LAWL in September I had been seeing 290-210 on the scales at home.. not a number that impressed me at all but the day I joined I weighed in at 219.8 so was 10lbs heavier than I thought I had been.. talk about a downer!! I was so upset.. but I have to say you have lost 7lbs and it doesn't matter what weight you started at.. 7lbs are gone.. go look at a pound of butter next time you are grocery shopping and imagine that you have 7 less of those on your new and in the works bod..
Now go do a happy dance!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #11  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself everyday, I guess more out of habit than anything. My husband is usually still sleeping and I have to put the light on real low to see what it says on our doctor type scale. Anyway, when I first went to the center, I thought that I weighed 182. I got on their scale and it said 192!! I about died. I didn't dispute their scale, but told the girl that there must really be something wrong with my scale at home. I was very, very upset. On the way home, I suddenly realized that since I could not see so well, I was also adding wrong. I'm not sure how long that had been going on. Even worse, I'm a teacher!! I'm at least supposed to know how to add a few numbers. Well, I was pretty down in the dumps for those first ten pounds. I know how you feel, I didn't really feel like I was losing until I passed the ten pound point. It gets a lot better after that. Stick with it, it'll be worth it.
Jill
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #12  
LAWL Salt Police

Jill, the gals are right.. .You can't live your life worried like this... So ya weigh a bit more than you thought... I'd be bummed too, but like everyone else has said, you can't focus on that.. Just the goal...

Joni, what is "Publix"? I thought all y'all in Georgia shopped at Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly ...Guess I shouldn't laugh as I'm related to about half the population of Marietta...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #13  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Dan -
Quote:
Joni, what is "Publix"? I thought all y'all in Georgia shopped at Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly ...Guess I shouldn't laugh as I'm related to about half the population of Marietta...
Very funny - actually in Georgia, the big stores are now Kroger and Publix. They each have their own special qualities and I shop at both. I think the Piggly Wiggly's are in South Georgia and guess what, I'm about three blocks from Marietta so if you come visit those relatives, let me know and we can go have a beer...ah, I mean, some HLW!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #14  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

[QUOTE=LottaMe2MiniMe;1671848]

I've been with this guy for 8 years and he has NO IDEA what I weigh...but, for some insane reason, I jump on and it's now out in the open...He didn't say anything like WTF? or Holy Cow....you weigh that much....I think I fell in love again tonight.

QUOTE]

Oh Joni you gave me big belly laugh...LOVE IT!
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #15  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

Ahhhh, yes...the "naked happy dance" ... a favorite around here! I am glad to hear that my words helped (they are what I would have said to ME when I was feeling a little blue.) And I actually had a similar moment myself about a week ago, when I felt like I had been POP and yet I was barely losing ".4" when I would go to WI. My sister is the one who pulled me up out of that one, basically by saying what I wrote to you. And that is that the point is that we are taking charge of our health & our weight NOW and that is what matters the most.

It is so nice to be part of THIS community where they really are ready with a kind comment or a suggestion.

Have a good weekend!
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote