Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #1  

Default ~Fiber Fanatics~ 03/21/07

We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.
1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin
levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetites.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber
foods than refined or low fiber foods (burns more calories)
3. High fiber foods are filling but low in fat (many are fat free)

High Fiber Foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #2  

Default Fiber Thursday!!

Hi!! Where is everyone??

Last night I had a party that I went to. Fiber really is filling because I didn't eat before I went and for once I didn't have to use sheer willpower to eat right because I felt too "fluffy" to eat! I did ok but did have a couple glasses of wine.

Bobbi: I thought I could copy and paste your heading but it came up as a plain text. Is there a better way??

Yesterday:

Breakfast:
orange, oatmeal, skim milk (11g)

Lunch:
bean soup (with naughty crackers) (9g)

Dinner:
nothing really but a lot of snacks
baked lays (4)
pickle rolls (0)
junior mints (0)
wine (0)

I gotta to tell you I am a little nervous about this working because I feel like I am gaining. I feel less fluffy today but that is probably because I didn't meet my 35 g yesterday.

I am not sure about the calories or fat. I will figure that up later.

Take care
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure we'd want a daily thread, it really depends how much traffic there is. We could try weekly threads or even monthly threads.

I'm busy snacking on my carrots.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wow . . . this was certainly a shock . . . I was thinking a monthly thread was a great idea. This is moving a bit too fast for me. . . there were only 19 entries in the other one.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I agree, at least a weekly thread is sufficient.

I belong to another group (labradors!!!) and post on their weight loss thread. When I first joined, it was a daily thread and it got too confusing. they've since switched to a weekly thread and it works much better. Sometimes the monthly threads get way, way too long.

So far today 11 grams!!! I have fiber one on my grocery list for the weekend. By next week, I hope to up in the 35-40 gram per day range.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with all the others. A daily is just too frequent. I think a monthly would work better.

So far today I've had about 25 grams of fiber. I say about because I just had a stir fry for lunch and did not measure my broccoli and spinach.

Allinnel, buy more then one box of the stuff. You're gonna love it and go through it quickly - at least I hope so.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

OOPS . . . almost forgot why I actually came here . . . yesterday's fibre = 67 grams.

Also . . . Just want to remind everybody that as well as keeping the fibre high, we need to make sure we eat as much good healthy stuff as we can.

Will post today's count later on. Keep things moving and shaking gang . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #8  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,

well yesterday I had 35 grams of fiber. So far today I have had 27.2 grams of fiber. I would prefer a weekly thread instead of a monthly one. I really hope this gassy feeling goes away soon.

bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #9  

Ok, my bad. I thought Bobbi said whoever got here first could start it. That implied to me that "we" wanted a daily thread. Whatever.

Now about Fiber. Did anyone else feel like they were gaining weight at first when they increased their fiber? I don't want to get on the scale because I think that could de-rail me if there really is a gain. I am asking because I need to know if this "feeling" is normal at the beginning of the program or if I need to re-group and make some changes. Bev are you only feeling gassy or are you feeling bloated like I am??

Also, I am having thyroid problems and that might have a little to do with retention. I have been taking medicine for it for a few years and suddenlty my levels dropped. I will start increasing my dosage tomorrow after a visit to the pharmacy. I can't wait to get my groove back. Darn thyroid!!

Gina
Old 03-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #10  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Gina, I am also bloated. For me I think it is because my body is not use to getting so much fiber. Maybe we should have slowly increased to 35 grams instead of doing it all at once. Maybe something like 25 grams for a week or two and them increase it to 35 grams. I might try this to see if it helps me any.

Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #11  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi gang......My pc's been down since 6:30a.m. and the repairman just left, he replace some stuff so I missed yaking today.

Sorry If I gave you the wrong impression Gina, I didn't mean a daily thread, I meant monthly. Don't worry about the script, I'll correct it when I post the April Thread.

I'll catch up with you all tomorrow!

Bobbi
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #12  

Default Bev:

I have read that we should gradually increase our fiber. That is just so hard for my "type a" personality. Do you think if we keep going fo the 35 g that eventually our bodies will settle?? I don't know. I think you are right but I am just having a hard time with "not doing it by the book".

Gina
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi girls!

The last three days were good

50 grams
47 today.

I am feeling pretty good.

More later!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #14  
Kelli

S/C/G: 187/136.8/128

Height: 5'3

Has anybody read te F-Factor Diet book? I just got it and am halfway through, its great on this topic!
mamabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #15  

MamaBanana: the F-Factor is what got me interested in fiber. I was looking for something because just eating low carb wasn't working for me. As I was searching I ran across F-Factor but in the reviews there was mention of a "required wafer" that I didn't like. A reviewer of F-Factor led me to Fiber35. Please share anything you feel is insightful. I think both are great. You stats are great!!

Gina