Volumetrics

You're on Page 1 of 9
Go to
  • Welcome . . . . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. A recent article in Newsweek has been bringing a little more attention. If you haven't yet seen the article, here is a link . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17537369/ . . . I first discovered Volumetrics about a year ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...s_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
  • Oooh, I like it
  • I haven't bought the book yet, but I've used alot of the principles I've learned in articles reviewing the book.

I love that what I've learned so far is very compatible with other food plans. If you're counting calories, Weight Watchers points, or carbs, or following South Beach or other eating plans, you can still make food choices based on Volumetrics principles, or at least it seems so without having yet bought the book.

I am a cheapskate when it comes to books. I rarely buy used, and will scour used book stores and thrift stores, and as a last resort discount online bookstores such as amazon.com and hamilton book sellers. That I haven't been able to find the book (over 6 years old, 4 in paperback) at a sizeable discount, I believe is a great endorsement of its value. Usually, within a year of a weight loss book coming out you can find it at a good discount, and within a couple years you can usually find it nearly free. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and pay nearly full price.
  • I meant I rarely buy new.
  • I, too, like the principles of Volumetrics I did buy the book when it first came out, and while I wouldn't say that I'm "on the Volumetrics plan", I apply a lot of these ideas to how I eat every day. Especially the idea of adding more lower-ED foods to higher calorie dishes to make a larger, more satisfying portion for the same amount of calories
  • Hi KAPLODS . . . and Hi SUGARLOVE . . .

I don't really think of Volumetrics as a "Plan" either . . . definitely a "Principle" that can be applied to anything . . . one of my favourite things has been the ED calculation . . . you know, the one . . . calories divided by weight in grams which can be applied to just about anything. Usually I cook from scratch, but if I ever do buy a frozen dinner, you can bet it has an ED of 1.1 or less. Quite an amazing lot of them actually do fit the principle pretty well. Hopefully we can share some recipes in here, too . . . I make a lot of soup . . . one of the most volumetric-things going.

BTW, the original Mass Market Paperback is only US$6.99 from Amazon and apparently the larger, more cookbook-type, 2nd book will be available in paperback very soon. I've got the hardcover and it's a great book, but it is heavy (literally).

See you later . . .
  • It's definitely an affordable book, I'm just stubborn when it comes to bargain-hunting, and was waiting to find it in our local thrift store for $1, like I've been able to do with almost every diet or craft book I've ever wanted. I literally keep a list of books I want (actually printed out "wish lists" from amazon.com - I have pages and pages of printouts, and handwritten lists for I'd say at least 250 books I want to find). Then I check my library and write the call numbers of the books in the margins so I can check them out at the library first (Volumetrics is always checked out, and I keep forgetting to put my name on the waiting list). And just recently I found a website called bestbookdeal.com that compares internet bookstore prices.

I'll occasionally order a book through the library system also, and if I decide it's something I need to buy I put it on my "need to buy" list (only about 15 books or so on that list).
  • Glad to be here
    Glad you started this thread. I've been following the Volumetrics plan for several weeks now and am really pleased. I am not hungry - in fact I have to remind myself to eat regularly. I try to have a fruit smoothie in the mid morning or mid afternoon and that fills me up for very little calories. I've always liked veggies and fruit so this is a good plan for me. I've done Weight Watchers, Atkins, and South Beach before and stayed on them for periods of time pretty strictly, but they take a lot of time to plan and prepare and as a teacher, by the time I got home I only wanted to crash. With Volumetrics, the recipes are simple and most are pretty ordinary - no fancy special spices etc. you have to have around to do them. You're right though that you can use Volumetrics and WW or At. or SB together. My sister likes WW points (the old system).
    Have a good week.
    Bearcub
  • Hi BEARCUB . . . glad you made it.

You are so right, the Principles of Volumetrics are really easy to follow and besides the recipes in either of the books, it is pretty easy to "Volumetrics-ize" just about any traditional recipe, too . . . especially true with soups and stews (some of my favourite things) . . . basically just add water/broth and lots of extra low-carb veggies; and cut the fat to a minimum and uyou are in business.

Hope everybody is having a great moving and shaking day. Just keep on doing the good stuff as much as you can and the rewards will follow. See you later, gang . . .
  • I guess it would qualify as a volumetricized recipe, but I make a virgin daquiri that is very filling and really good.

I put frozen strawberries or raspberries, usually about 1.5 cups, in a blender and add diet mountain dew or diet lemondade to make it slushy, I'd say about 12 oz. If the berries are very tart, I may add a little Splenda, but usually the diet beverage is sweet enough.

I love this for breakfast with an eggwhite omelette or as a late night snack. It tastes like an expensive tropical drink for a fraction of the price and calories (I keep planning on buying frozen pineapple to add to the berries, but keep forgetting).
  • Hey All-
    I am still reading the book but already incorporating the principles in mt cooking. It may sound weird but love to CHOP--it is a real stress reliever for me-- so by adapting recipes I am also having a type of therapy.

my "new" spaghetti recipe and my "new" gypsy gumbo recipes were both huge hits here and no one noticed there was 2/3 less meat in both recipes.

So far this week (since Monday) I have lost 4 lbs and am, uh- hum, regular for maybe the first time in my life without meds.

Hope to get to know you all really well. Thanks meowee for starting this thread.
  • One thing I have noticed, now that I'm eating more "volume," is that I may have to rethink how I often I weigh myself. I normally weigh myself every morning, and minor fluctuations hae never bothered me before, but now eating a much higher water and fiber filled diet, my weight fluctuates by larger amounts day to day.
  • Hi Gang . . .

Hope everybody is having a great weekend. Our weather is definitely better than Thursday's blizzard . . . yes, you read it right . . . BLIZZARD . . . really yucky. Anyway, I finally got the new TV and the old DVD player functioning together so at least the Frog and I are back together with Buddy Ball and I have no more excused for slacking off on my exercise routines anymore.

The blizzard served one good purpose . . . it got me back thinking soup again . . . here's one of my favourite Volumetricized recipes . . . I call it "Stoup" because it is somewhere between thin stew and thick soup.

Chili Stoup

In a large dutch oven or small soup pot,
    cook 1/2 lb lean ground beef until the pink is gone.
    Stir in 1 package of chili seasoning
    Add . . .
    10 oz can condensed tomato soup;
    28 oz can diced tomatoes;
    2 x 28 oz cans water;
    19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    750 mg (about 25 oz) package of Arctic Gardens frozen "spaghetti-vegetables", thawed slightly (combination of finely chopped onions, celery, red and green peppers)

Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer gently for at least two hours.

Makes about 15 cups at approximately 150 calories per cup. You can add more or less water to make it just about any consistendy you'd like. Just remember you will be adjusting the total calories, too.

Keep things moving and shaking everybody. Keep on doing the good stuff, just as much as you possibly can and the rewards will surely follow. See you soon.
  • meowee, I have a question. Do you find it hard to find the energy density of (labelled) food? I was on Volumetrics for about a week, because limiting fats work best for me, but I found counting fat grams easier.

Do you have a simple way of finding the Ed of food? I would love to find a way of eating a lower fat diet without counting all day. Do you have any tricks or tips? I have gone back on the T-Factor diet (counting fat grams), but am wondering if maybe I didn't give Volumetrics a fair shake.

Any insight would be appreciated. Maybe I should buy the second book and actually read the first (which I have)!!!
  • Hi JOCELYN . . .

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, because I think determining the ED of foods that have the nutrition information labelling on the package is quite a simple matter. . . divide calories per serving by gram weight per serving . . . if the answer is around the 1.0 mark or lower; go for it. You can just guesstimate pretty well, or for a more exact answer, stick one of those tiny credit-card-sized calculators in your wallet.

For example . . . I'm looking at a package of Stouffer's Pastaria, Penne Primavera . . . calories of 250 divided by gram weight of 255 equals an ED of .98. Couple that with a nice salad ( 2 or 3 cups worth of mostly lettuce and other salad greens with 2 or 3 tablespoons of low fat or fat free dressing) and you've got a great, filling and really low ED meal (the lettuce has an ED of .1 or .2 and the dressing - for FF Italian - has an ED of .5)

Finding the ED of foods that are NOT nutritionally labelled (like vegetables, fruits, fast food) is more difficult . . . you will have to look it up, somewhere . . . either in the Volumetrics Book or here on the 3FC Food lists (see the link in my introduction post).

Personally, I think Volumetrics is one of the easier plans to follow without having to really count anything. After a while, you just sort of 'know' the approximate ED of most of the things you eat regularly. Of course, having said that, I must admit that I count everything -- because I'm a diabetic and I need to know the things I'm putting into my body so I can regulate my insulin and other meds more easily.

Anyway, Chickie . . . if you have any other questions (or if I didn't answer the one you actually were asking) just let me know. Hope you are having a great moving and shaking kind of day . . . See you soon . . .