Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #1  

Default New on LAWL and need vegetarian options

I just started today, having done the FF for two days. I'm finding it difficult to figure out what to eat that's vegetarian. Does anyone have some tips on what's best to eat? I'm not a really an adventurous eater, and don't like a lot of spicy things. I do like the Quorn products and Boca, et cetera, but I can't come up with anything but sauteing Quorn with vegetables or eating a Boca burger without a roll. Thanks for your help
jdbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

and

It's probably easier if I just give a list of the veggie options I use. There are tons of things past Boca Burgers and Quorn Nuggets.
  1. Morning Star Farm Nuggets and Patties, with sliced veggies on the side
  2. Soy Beans, Soy Beans, Soy Beans, the options are endless
  3. Ricotta Cheese with Berries
  4. Ricotta Cheese with sauteed veggies--it's like ravioli without the pasta
  5. Nuts,
  6. Peanut Butter, I personally get it fresh ground
  7. Egg Beaters and Egg Whites

What degree do you keep? If you're a Pesco, there's always fish. That alone opens up tons more options. I went back to eating poultry a couple of years ago, but I still try to keep at least one to two days a week to limiting to vegetarian proteins and eggs. It can totally be done. It's just a matter of careful planning.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #3  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i do LAWL totally vegetarian and as megan said, the options are very broad.
i eat tons of morningstar farms veggie burgers, boca burgers, veggie crumbles, veggie sausage crumbles, reduced fat natual peanut butter, cottage cheese, egg beaters.

i make taco salads out of the black bean burgers from morningstar farms or use the crumbles and make my own seasonings. i put the veggie sausage crumbles in egg beaters sometimes for omelettes, i eat lots of cottage cheese for lunches, i most of the time cut up veggie burgers and put them on salads since there are so many different kinds.
i'm not really into the breaded patties/nuggets..since they're higher in sodium, but i do eat them sometimes.

feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #4  

Default Thanks

That's just the kind of advice I needed. It wouldn't have occured to me to eat ricotta for a meal. I guess I have sort of tunnel vision. I do eat fish, although I never seem to cook it at home, but I guess I better start branching out past eggs, eggbeaters and Boca burgers.
jdbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #5  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

oh yeah, i forgot to add, like megan, i use nuts as form of protein when i'm on the go and not a home.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 123/116/105

Height: 5 foot

I'm also vegetarian, but do eat fish, and doing the south beach diet is actually easier then I thought. I substitute all the boca/morning star farms products and use them like regular meat. Check out all the recipe postings and think how you can sub the soy burger for the meat. My husband and I like the ital veg sausage sauteed with peppers and onions, or a good boca burger topped with salsa and cheese without the bun. It's good wrapped in lettuce too. Good luck!
Hockey Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Also, you can get the LaTortilla Factory 50 calorie tortillas for 1 starch and the 4" whole wheat pitas split in half horizontally provide a nice "sandwich" and base for pizzas.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #8  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbc View Post
That's just the kind of advice I needed. It wouldn't have occured to me to eat ricotta for a meal. I guess I have sort of tunnel vision. I do eat fish, although I never seem to cook it at home, but I guess I better start branching out past eggs, eggbeaters and Boca burgers.
I grill up a pound of fish once or twice a week. On Red, I can get 2 1/2 proteins out of a pound piece of salmon. Also, fish frozen fresh works too, I take out the tuna or mahi mahi when I need it and toss it right on the grill.

Ricotta is a great base for just about everything. It's like Tofu and takes on the flavor of whatever you're making it with.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote