Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #1  

Default Trying to decide if LAWL is for me. Can you help?

Hey there. Today i went for a consult. Let me start by saying that in 2001 i lost about 30 lbs on Weight Watchers. Before i got preg with twins i weighed about 155, was 225 by the time those suckers were born. Went to Weight Watchers when i was around 167 and got down to 137. Now I am hovering at 149 an dhave been for a few years. Not a huge gain but it is creeping in on me. I have gone back to weight watchers a number of times but the magic is gone. I lose interest quickly. I excercise by kickboxing and jogging 5x per week. They tried to sell me the fullyear commitment at LAWL but i cant see spending several hundred dollars foir 15 or so lbs. They then offered the 8 week body makeover. $310 plus the bars and supplements (which i found on EBAY for less). Every couple weeks you do the juice thing. I am hoping it wont be too strict and they wont be pushing stuff on me all the time which will annoy me pretty quickly. What do you think? Is the program worth it?? I am pretty committed to trying soemthing new and am fairly knowledgable about nutrician. The accountability and 1:1 stuff appeals to me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
doublemommkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

If it were me, and I only had 15 to lose, I don't know that I would want to spend that much money. I have 80 to lose, so I need the accountably for that year. But like you I wouldn't want to commit to a year with only 15 to lose. that is not to say that I don't like the program. I do. I guess, if it were me it would be a money thing. the 8 week thing could get costly too. you got the $310, plus bars will run you about $250 for 8 weeks if you were to get them from the COD. the Take Off juice is $32 a bottle so I forget how many you would need for the 8 weeks. and then the supplements for two months is........ what. $150? or something. and then what ever else they talk you into. you are looking at about $800-$1000 for 8 weeks. I hope this doesn't discourage you too much, because the program will work. so if it is worth it to you, then spend the money and do it. and you are always welcome here, there are lots of helpful people on this board.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

You can do the program without the juice, the supplements, etc. and still lose weight too. The year program is for maintenance. Since you only have 15 to lose, you may not need a year of maintenance. Those of us who have more to lose need 52 weeks to reinforce what we've learned and to adjust to a "normal" way of eating.

There is a thread I wrote called What is LAWL a few pages back that you can look at too.

Bottom line... the program works. It will teach you to eat in a healthful way for life. But I don't think you need the whole hard-core program with all the "stuff". I would talk to them and find out about the regular program with just the lites. No supplements, etc. The 8 week program is doing Take Off (or TO) every two weeks. You can look through this forum for more info on it. Maybe you can do an 8 week program (without the supplements) and then a 6 month maintenance? I don't know if they offer the shortened maintenance. Again, that is there to keep you from re-gaining what you worked so hard to lose.

Go in or call them and tell them you are interested, but not with all of the stuff. Tell them you want to be healthy, not sold a bunch of stuff. I love LAWL, but what happened to you reminds me of why they get bad press. They want you to spend $500 to lose 15lbs. Speak with the COD manager and if they won't work with you call the 800 number and talk to customer service and tell them your story. I will bet they work something out.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

I just want to back up what Cassi said... This program will help you lose the weight, but importantly, it will teach you how to still eat the things you love, but to do it in a way that won't cause you to gain all the weight back, plus more..

I think you'll find it a refreshing change to others you have tried, if only because it's different.

You'll probably get an occasional sales pitch, as they are a business and need to be profitable, but if you stick to you guns, you'll be fine.

I find the bars really keep me from snacking, especially in the afternoon, but many here have lost and continue to lose without them.

Let us know how it goes...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #5  

Since you asked this in the LAWL folder, you're going to get generally positive answers. Folks here have spent a lot of money to do LAWL so of course they're going to buy into (no pun intended) the program.

If you're looking for other viewpoints you might ask the same question elsewhere in 3FC, maybe in Featherweights or General Diet Plans.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #6  
LAWL Salt Police

Except that if you ask people who have no or very little idea how LAWL works, you're not going to get a good answer.

The men and women in this forum have had their ups and downs with the program, and there are issues we have to deal with regarding the plan.

There are slow and fast losers.. Some who are happy, some who are frustrated.

It would be different if we worked there, or were paid spokespersons, but I think we can give a really balanced outlook on the program.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #7  

Thank you Dan. And the fact that I paid for this program makes me like it no more and no less.

If you want to compare apples to apples, consider this: My weekly rate of $7 and my weekly purchase of lites $18, my weekly LAWL fee is $25. My local WW meeting is $15 for the meeting only. If I buy any of their products that would add to my total also. Additionally, for my extra $10/week I get 3x/week weigh-ins and counseling.

Yes, I'm still paying for maintenance weeks, but that $7/week during maintenance will keep me going instead of "if you stay in your weight range you can come whenever".

And have you ever tried to speak with a WW leader after the meeting for assistance? There is usually a line of people there waiting as well, and listening to you. I like the privacy better here.

Don't get me wrong. Some days I would love the flexibility to go have 5 light beers and not be off my plan. But for me personally, the benefits of this plan outweigh the benefits of the other plans I've been on.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #8  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

Height: 5'4"

I was told at my center that the 8 week body makeover was 8 weeks and that's it. You cannot buy additional weeks, maintenance, etc. It's perfect for someone with 10-15 pounds to lose. I probably would have chosen that program if I didn't have so much darn more than that to lose! Also, I did not get the impression that it was the same as the every two week TO plan as posted on the boards here. I could be wrong.
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

I'm not familiar with the 8 week program, but in those two months, you will most likely gain the knowledge you'll need to maintain the loss after the program ends.

I would imagine as you reach the end, they might try to sell you some additional weeks for consultation purposes... But the nice thing is that you have the power of "no"..
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

when I restarted my COD was having an open house, which they do from time to time, and they were running a special. I got $4/ week. and I went with the one year plan. so it came out to $208 for my 37 weeks of weight loss, 6 weeks of stabilization and that left 9 weeks for maintenance for that $208. bars on top of that of course. but I didn't have to go with bars. you could ask them if they are going to be running any specials. the people at my COD are usually pretty upfront about it.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #11  

Good point! My COD's open house is April 9th so maybe it's about that time.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #12  

The 8 week program is a new spring program LAWL is offering. In my area it is 214 to join, which includes your weight loss weeks and 4 bottles of fast forward. It is perfect for someone who is not sure that the program is for them. It is a pretty straight price unless you include supplements, but everyone gets the four bottles of fast forward. The La Lites will run either 29 weekly or you can get enough for the eight weeks for about 175. I am pretty sure they will offer something to people who want to continue after the eight weeks, they would be silly not to. Hope this helps!
kmah0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #13  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I think going to the COD helps the most for someone just starting the program, but there is another less expensive option..........LA online. I think it is $99 per year.......but it is not all that great. It may cost more for a first timer, I am not sure. The bad thing is, you don't have the 1 on 1 accountablility.......and you mentioned that that is a draw for you. I just signed up for LA online, but was going to the COD since October. It was just too inconvenient for me to continue going in in person. I do think it is the best way to go, though. I know there are a few people who do LA online that may have more to add........I just don't know too much about it yet, as I just registered with it yesterday.

I hope you do find a way to do the program. It is a great program, and such a fabulous, nutritionally sound lifestlye change
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote