100 calorie english muffins

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the 100 calorie english muffins a lot of you are using. I tend to be more of a lurker on this site, I don't post often and I think I missed some of the information along the line in the daily menu thread. How are you counting them and who makes them? I did find some over the weekend that were 110 calories - are those the same ones? Thanks for your help.
  • I use Thomas' Light English muffins. Not only are they 100 calories but they pack 8 grams of fiber to boot!!
  • I just received my answer today from the LA Dietician:

Thank you for submitting your question to our Nutrition Department.

You can have 1 whole Light English muffin as 1 Starch exchange; please use no more than 1-2 times per week.
  • i found some WW english muffins that are 100 calories. i don't normally buy them, but i did this weekend and they were pretty good.
  • Quote: I just received my answer today from the LA Dietician:

You can have 1 whole Light English muffin as 1 Starch exchange; please use no more than 1-2 times per week.

GET...OUT.....really???
  • Hey...did you ever ask them about the Western Bagels then? they are nutritionally similar...hmmmmm.....I wonder!
  • The Western Bagels are also one starch. I don't have that e-mail anymore as I asked them a LONG time ago!
  • Well, I struck out trying to find them at Walmart, so I'll look elsewhere..

I stopped by a nearby deli that sells Boar's Head brand.. They don't carry the low sodium beef, but they do roast their own and add no sodium to it... The guy there said he believes it has less sodium than the 80 g contained in the Boar's Head.. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells really good..

As for the muffins.. I found a couple of other brands that had close to 100 calories per, but they were awfully high in sodium and didn't have as much protein or fiber as the Thomas brand..
  • Quote: Well, I struck out trying to find them at Walmart, so I'll look elsewhere..

I stopped by a nearby deli that sells Boar's Head brand.. They don't carry the low sodium beef, but they do roast their own and add no sodium to it... The guy there said he believes it has less sodium than the 80 g contained in the Boar's Head.. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells really good..

As for the muffins.. I found a couple of other brands that had close to 100 calories per, but they were awfully high in sodium and didn't have as much protein or fiber as the Thomas brand..
    Hey Dan,
    I use the BH low sodium roast beef all of the time, I have it for lunch maybe two times per week on one of said 100 cal english muffins...very good!
  • Okay, now I have to find these freaking english muffins. The thought of an egg sandwich for breakfast has me bewitched!
  • Quote: I just received my answer today from the LA Dietician:

is that a starch for any color program? I think I was told only one half a muffin at a time, I'm on gold.
  • Oh... I forgot to mention.. On the Thomas Muffin's website, they have a "find our product" locator.. Well, when I put in my Zip Code, it said to email them for locations. I sent them an email asking for a location and today they sent me a nice personalized letter with a couple of coupons for their products.. They said that since it's a new product they don't have it everywhere, but to "stay tuned"...
  • Oh, thanks Dan, I will try that!
  • OK... I have a question for the LA Online Dietician, so if someone could pass this along, I'd appreciate it...

If we can eat an entire 100 cal. Thomas English Muffin, and have it count as only 1 starch, why does two slices of 40 cal. (80 cal. total) bread count as 2 starches????!

I've been eating the "Nature's Own" double fiber wheat bread and have been counting it as 2 starches for 2 slices.

I'd like the dietician's advice, as I have half an idea the girls at the COD would give me either a blank quizical look, or would say "Becuase that's how it is" kind of answer...

Any ideas, y'all?
  • Excellent question Dan! Now, I'm not the dietician, but I'd like to venture a guess:

The starches on plan are made up of "lite" and "heavy" choices-much like the proteins are: beef=heavy; chicken and fish=lite. So-lite bread, crackers, 1/2 pita=lite choices and the bagels, brown rice, etc=heavy choices. If you mix and match these during the week-that's good; if you do mostly lite choices, you might lose faster; and if you do mostly heavy choices-you might lose slower.

That's my guess . . . . . .