Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Cool New Diet- Fiber35

Has anyone started on the new diet, "The Fiber35"? I see a hard cover book out about it, the central theme is consuming at least 35 mg. of fiber daily. I'd be interested in any feed back about it.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-20-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #2  
it's always something

Increased fiber seems to be the theme in several new books this year. I've not read that book, but I picked up a flier on it at the health food store yesterday. I'm bothered by what seems to be the need to buy their fiber supplements to follow this diet. It seems like a catch. If you eat enough fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, you'll get more than enough fiber. If you want to buy fiber supplements for occasional use that's one thing. But to promote a diet plan which is designed to sell supplement products seems gimmicky. I could be wrong! I admit I've not read the book. Maybe the diet doesn't push fiber supplements. I'm basing my opinion on the marketing efforts of Fiber35 fiber supplement products and the timing of both of them.

There is another new diet book called the F-Factor which is also a high fiber diet recommending 35 grams daily. No supplements necessary. They say "The F-Factor diet does not recommend taking fiber supplements as a replacement for fiber rich foods. When you get fiber from foods, you also tap into the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that come along for the ride. Experts believe that it is the synergy of all these nutrients, most of which aren't contained in fiber supplements, that promotes the most dramatic health benefits. "
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I havent read the book but I eat way more than 35 g of fiber daily and never ever take any supplements.

If you increase your fiber intake, you need to up your water intake as well. I went through a week of drinking too little water because I was busy and

and ramp up slowly or your body wont like you

I do have a larger calorie budget than most, but its really not that hard to get a lot of fiber for very little calories
Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #4  
Bobbi

Thanks Suzanne, I was just curious about the book. I didn't know you had to buy their supplements, not that it would matter to me. I'm a calorie counter and that's the only way I've ever lost weight. The fiber angle was interesting because I know adding fiber to my diet works. I average over 50 grams of fiber per day, some days it's in the 60"s. A couple of weeks ago I started eating "Fiber One" cereal 2 or 3 times a day and I lost 3.5 pounds in 10 days. I don't like it with milk, but I sprinkle it on salads, puddings, but mostly eat it dry like popcorn.
Hi ennay.........Haven't heard from you for awhile.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #5  

Default I have the book and love it!

I have started the Fiber35 diet and have lost 4 pounds in 6 days. I would like to lose about 36 more. Really, for me, the success of this diet hasn't been in the weight loss but in the energy I feel and how easy it has been. My only problem is that I need more recipes.

Anyway, she does talk about supplements but really I don't feel that is the basis of her diet at all. In the supplement chapter she talks about Omega 3's, multivitamins, calcium/magnesium and green tea. I really feel that is pretty normal and not anything special for this diet.

She also talks about supplements that are optional and "as needed" that are colon cleansing, sleeping (calcium and B vitamins and calming herbs), blood sugar support for cravings, and enzymes.

She says over and over "ideally you'll be getting your 35 grams of daily fiber from fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, bars, and shakes". She really seems to only offer the fiber supplements as an alternative when you are busy. They are wafers, bars, shakes, and a shaker.

I still haven't seen in the book where she mentions that we can buy anything from her. I just did another quick search of the book and I just don't see it.

I think the diet is great and fits me really well.

To the original poster. You are doing great!! Fiber is so healthy.

Gina
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #6  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I am just starting to follow this plan and I just ordered the book. I am hoping it will help me lose my last 15 lbs. At least I will be eatting more fiber like my doctor wants me to do.

Ginaxoxo- are you using any of the supplements? If you aren't do it find it hard without them.

bev
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #7  

Default Hi!

Did you lose the 21 pounds doing the Fiber35 diet?? WOW! Great loss no matter how you did it.

No, I haven't used any supplements and I don't find it hard at all. I have always heard how great of a tool a journal is but until now I have been fighting the journal. I really think that is making it easy for me. If I have too many fat grams then I rethink the rest of the day to make it work. If I don't have enough fiber I try to figure out ways to get it.

Oh, I just realized that I should mention that I have always taken vitamins. I do take Omega's and a multi. Other than that I am not taking any supplements from the book. I wouldn't mind doing the colon cleanse.

I wonder why the book doesn't mention that there are "Fiber35" supplements. I would not mind knowing specifically what to take for the cleanse. I really think I need to do it. I really appreciate being able to do the cleanse while eating . . . I have tried the feasting cleanse's before and I just don't do it very well.

Can you tell me if you are using supplements?? If you are do you think it is helping?? IF it is helping can you tell me how??

Thanks!! Gina
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #8  
Bobbi

Thumbs up

Good Morning Gina & Bev!
I was the one asking about the Fiber35 book, I noticed it while waiting for a prescription at the drug store. I guess I'm already on the plan without knowing it. I'm a BIG BELIEVER IN FIBER, and I already take lots of supplements and fiber. I get most my fiber in by the Cereal "Fiber One". I love that stuff sprinkled over puddings, salads, eaten dry like popcorn. The other day I stirred a serving of Fiber One into chocolate pudding and topped with FF/SF Cool whip, yum!
I love it on top of applesauce and Cool whip too!.. I was thinking of starting a new thread with ideas of adding more Fiber One to foods. I did crunch them up and make mock graham cracker crust for a coconut cream pie, that was really delicious but decided to just top the pie with the sweetened crumb instead. Less work and they stay crunchy. Would you two be interested in such a thread? Everyone wouldn't necessarily have to be on the Fiber 35 diet like me, just make sure we're all getting at least 35 grams and plenty of water daily. Let me know and I'll put something together.
Like I said earlier, I average in the 50 and 60 grams per day and I find my last few pounds drop off at an astounding speed. I also stay at 1200 calories per day. It's taken me 14 weeks to lose close to 25 pounds. I actually started at 161 pounds, not 158. I give Fiber One the main reason I've lost consistently.
At far as cleansing, you can buy many natural cleansers in your local health food stores. Funny we're talking about this now, I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy today at 1:00 this afternoon and have been "Cleansing" since yesterday. I stepped on the scale this morning and see I'm down 3.5 pounds. Unfortunatly it won't stay off once I get my procedure done and start eating again. But I'm guessing I'll drop something because I couldn't eat all day yesterday and today.
Have a good one and hope to hear from both of you.

Bobbi
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #9  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hi All! I've been following this thread with interest, because once I made up my mind that I needed to get this extra weight off once and for all, it seemed to me that high fiber/low cal/low fat/plenty of water was the way to go. I've been doing it for about three weeks now, and have lost eight pounds. Sounds though, like I could up my fiber intake even more than I'm at currently (A cup of Fiber One in the AM w/skim milk (28 grams fiber/220 cal with 1/2 cup milk), a mid-morning apple, (4 grams fiber/80 cal) a high fiber/low cal pocket (4 grams fiber/60 cal) filled with chicken salad (home-made w/celery & light miracle whip), egg salad, tuna salad or some deli ham or turkey & salad greens, then another apple or a pear, sometimes, mid-afternoon, and some sort of lean meat, veggie - sometimes brown rice or a baked sweet potato for supper. And about 5 16-oz bottles of water throughout the day. I don't exactly count calories, which probably isn't the best idea, since I may be underestimating on some things. I WOULD like to see a little quicker results, and am wondering if you think upping the fiber even more (and water) might help?
I KNOW I'm being impatient, and that it took awhile to get this heavy and will take a while to get it off again, but it STILL seems sooooooo slow, doesn't it?
I, personally, would LOVE some ideas/recipes using Fiber ONE!
Thanks much!
Ellabella
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

As Bobbolink knows I am another big believer in fiber and of course Fiber One Cereal. It's just the greatest. I get at least 50 grams of fiber in a day.

Ellabella, why not check out Fitday.com for a day or 2, logging in all your calories, just to get an idea. Measure everything so you get a visual idea of what the "right sized portion" looks like.

Hungrygirl.com has lots of ideas using Fiber One Cereal. I use in place of croutons on all my salads. I add about a tablespoon of it to Danon Lite and Fit 60 calorie yogurt. I add it to jello 60 calorie sugar free pudding with a squirt of fat free whipped cream. I eat it plain and just munch on it. Berries also have lots of fiber and very little calories. Cauliflower and broccoli are also very good sources of fiber.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #11  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Good Morning everyone,

I also would love a thread on increasing your fiber. The only supplements I use are benefiber and omega -3 fish oil. I only use benefiber occasionally.

Bobbi- I have read some of your post on the calorie counting thread with interest. I was always amazed by how much fiber you eat in one day. Do you have any problems with eatting so many grams of fiber? Because of all of your posts about Fiber 1 I picked some up the other day. I currently eat fiber 1 honey clusters for breakfast most morning. Good luck with your scope. I have not had one but my husband has had two of them. He hated taken all that medicine to empty yourself out.

Ginaxoxo- No I didn't lose the 21 lbs from fiber35( I just started that last week). Though I did increase my fiber while losing that weight.

ellabella- 8 lbs in 3 weeks is great. congrats. I also lose weight very slow so I can understand your feelings on that. It look me forever to just lose 21 lbs.

Bev
Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #12  
Bobbi

Oh Goody, lets do a special thread but we need to pool our ideas about a thread name. Not everyone will be on the Fiber35 plan so we should just use a general name like:
Fiber Chicks
Fiber One Posters
Fiber/Water Challengers
I'm not very good at picking unique names, give me your inspirations!
Ellabella... Looks like you're getting over 40 grams per day with what you just told us. I agree with Robin, check out Fitday and they do all the math for you.
Robin... Fancy meeting you here! You would be my first choice of supporting a fiber thread since you're so good at it. I don't know anything about Hungry Girl, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out there recipes using Fiber One.
Bev...
Quote:
Bobbi- Do you have any problems with eatting so many grams of fiber? Because of all of your posts about Fiber 1 I picked some up the other day. I currently eat fiber 1 honey clusters for breakfast most morning. Good luck with your scope. I have not had one but my husband has had two of them. He hated taken all that medicine to empty yourself out.

No, I've never had problems with it. Probably because I'm a huge vegetable eater. I thought maybe when I increased my Fiber One to 2-3 times a day I would. But the only nice surprise was losing faster. The closer I got to goal, the less I lost. But the additional fiber kicked into gear again. I looked at the F.One honey clusters before but didn't buy it because they were more calories.
P.S. I hated all the meds to empty out too, I've been without food since 8:00 p.m. Saturday night. By the time my procedure is over it'll be over 40 hours. I'm going to eat a horse for supper tonight. This morning my scale told me I lost 3.5 pounds of "You Know What"
I'll check in later as to new names, right now I'm going to check out Robins Hungry Girl site. Well, maybe I shouldn't look at recipes right now, I might be tempted to eat my keyboard!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

OMG Bobbo. 40 hours, I've never heard of that. Isn't that really, really long? Well good luck to you love, I know you'll come out of it just fine. Afterall with all that fiber, things have got to be perfectly up to snuff.

As far as a name: How about Fiber Fantatics?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #14  
Bobbi

Robin... O.K. I couldn't help myself from checking out the Hungry Girl site. I see they have lots going, do you weigh in there every week? I could only find one recipe using Fiber One, I just punched in F.One in the search. What are some of the recipes you've found? I like the name, "Fiber Fantastics" You missed the "s"or did you mean to spell it like that?
**EXCLUSIVE HG RECIPE FROM TANYA!

Fiber-licious Bean Dip
(*1/4th recipe without garnish or cheese: Approx. 110 - 120 calories, 0.5g fat, 935mg sodium, 31g carbs, 13g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 6g protein = 1 - 2 Points)

Although beans are naturally a good source of fiber, adding Fiber One cereal to this dip gives it an extra fiber boost. No one will ever guess that there is cereal in this creamy dip! This is delicious served with baked tortilla chips and cut-up veggies.

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can of black beans
1 cup Fiber One cereal
1 cup salsa
2 garlic cloves; chopped
1⁄4 tsp. each salt, cumin, chili powder
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
Garnish: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions and tomato
Optional: 1⁄2 cup fat-free shredded cheese

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until well mixed; if you prefer the bean dip cheesy, add shredded cheese to the mixture once it’s blended. Place the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 2 minutes, or until hot. Serves 4!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #15  

Hi, I Wanted To Ask You How Do You Know The Fiber Content For Each Item (like Fruits And Vegetables)? Is There Like A Chart Or Something? I Really Need To Find A Healthy Way Of Losing Weight And Keeping It Of (it Seems I'm The Queen Of Yo-yo Diets!!) And It Sounds To Me Like Increasing The Fiber Content, And Eating Healthy Foods Would Be A Great Start.

Thanks For Sharing,

Maggie
Closed Thread