Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #46  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi again . . .

My bottom line with most things is "all things in moderation". I know HFCS is the latest thing getting a really nasty reputation and I agree it should be avoided as much as possible; the same with most artificial sweetners; and the same with 'real' sugar (just empty calories - and especially bad for diabetics). Unfortunately, there is getting to be very little we can safely eat and just when you think you've found something; somebody comes along and says that it is suddenly also on the 'nasty' list.

BTW . . . HFCS does not show up on labels in Canada . . . it is called Glucose-Fructose or Fructose-Glucose and is listed as a separate item from Glucose and/or Fructose (in other words, you might find all three on the ingredient list). Other than the labelling requirements, the actual ingredients in any "international" (i.e., US) brands are the same here. Actually I don't eat All-Bran . . . I prefer a Canadian brand called Fibre First (Loblaws/Zhers/SuperStore brand) that does have sugar in it. What I like about it is that it is made from mixed brans rather than just wheat and I prefer the taste. I sometimes eat Fibre One, but find it a little coarser and 'tougher' (for lack of a better word) in texture.

Also . . . did you all know that there is a very comprehensive listing of over 7000 foods here on 3FC and it definately shows the fibre content for everything and a whole bunch more; including the ED (Energy Density). Here is a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . something to keep handy.

Lately, I've been snacking on Puffed Wheat . . . it contains Whole Wheat and absolutely nothing else . . . 1 cup is 11 carbs but only about 1 gram of fibre . . . but of course, it's only 45 calories too and gives you lots to nibble on.

Later . . . gators . . .
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #47  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I can't believe how this thread has taken off.

My favorite cereal is fiber one honey clusters. I have bought fiber one but have not tryed it yet. I probably will not eat it with milk but mixed with other things like my yogurt or to snack on as I am waiting for my son at school. So far today I have had 32 grams of fiber and for me that is a good day. I do believe I will get in more than the 35 grams since I still have dinner. I am hoping with increasing my fiber I will be able to lose my last 15 lbs. Breakfast and lunch are usually easy for me. Dinner and snacking is where I have the problems. I am a big time snacker.

My new find at the grocery store is the fiber one bars that have 9 grams of fiber. They even taste good too.

bev
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Oooo... Fiber One Bars? Now, I have to ask. What kind of sweetner do they have? I haven't seen them, but then again, I haven't been looking!

Meow -- I definitely agree about the moderation thing. If I lived in Canada, I would try the Fiber First
Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #49  

Default Looks good Bobbi!

I think your intro looks great. Moving the section with the 3 points of how fiber helps with WL seems so obvious now,

I am doing good. I am really having a hard time with dinner. Does anyone have any recipes or cookbooks they think will help?? Remember we are plain jane-ers. Maybe that is the problem??

I have a cookbook called Magic Beans that came today. I haven't had a change to look yet. I have seem some GI cookbooks on amazon and also diabetic books. I have to believe they would be high fiber and low fat, right??

Gina
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #50  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I am not sure what type of sweetner the bars use but the first ingredient is chicory root extract ( what is that?) . Ok I found the sweetner, it is high maltose corn syrup.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #51  
Onward and Downward

Hi Gang . . . I'm back . . . actually just about on my way to bed . . . It's after 9:00 here in Atlantic time and I have to get up pretty early to get to the hospital for 6:30 a.m. - UGH.

Don't know if I'll be around here tomorrow or not, but since this is the end of my week, I thought I'd provide my total intake of nutrients.

Average Daily for week ending March 21/07:
Total Calories = 1644.4;
Grams of Fat = 46.1;
Grams of Carbs = 200.8;
Grams of Protein = 106.5;
Grams of Fibre = 53.7;
Net Grams of Carbs = 147.1

I have more information, but I think this is already more than was being discussed in the earlier posts in this thread. I use a home-made excel program to track just about everything on a daily basis and then average it all out over the week. Don't know just what we are going to track in the long term, but here is my input for this week.

Regarding cookbooks . . . I'm a collector. Have well over 300 at most recent count. From the point of view of good GI and good carbs; good fibre; low fat -- I recommend anything by Sandra Woodruff. Take a look at what's available on Amazon (and don't forget to use the "Store" link through 3FC).

Toodles
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #52  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

We're going to have a great group on the new thread, we've already had 50 posts and it's been viewed by 446 people. Tomorrow morning I'll post the new thread under the name ~Fiber Fanatics~ and some of you might want to copy/paste your posts. They were all so informative! Some of the thoughts should be repeated.
I asked if we could be posted in the sub titles with the calories counters, Oprah, etc. groups and I haven't heard back from them yet. So tomorrow just look under the General Diet Plans and you'll find us.

Bobbi
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #53  

Thread closed

Go to Fiber Fanatics to check in.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #54  
Onward and Downward

Here's a link to FIBER FANATICS . . .

. . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107737 . . .

I'll get this one closed.
Closed Thread